Upgraded T04 turbos for less $ than stock! Wtf? Link inside

b4llistic

Corporal
Nov 22, 2018
Ride
BMW N54
EDIT: Thanks your finding and reading my post. Unfortunately, Spoolstreet is no longer a neutral platform where we can have honest discussions on subjects and products freely.
For this reason I have deleted all information I posted on the forums.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: typedRew

Threetirtyfive

Corporal
Jan 9, 2019
Ride
335i
Seems b4llistic's agenda is just to be noticed and stir a bit of controversy.
In the early buyer group he was quite abusive and rude to the vendor who provided several options to rectify it, but it soon became clear his primary purpose was to stir controversy rather than work towards a solution. He then quickly fell out with the vendor, like an autistic child who doesn't realise their own behaviour causes toxicity with someone else.

Something quite hilarious is that he's bought from viv racing, who no doubt use the same factory, and before even getting the product is already sure they'll be fine "for a long and happy life" if that doesn't speak of someone with an agenda nothing will.
Seems he just wants attention / validation and to feel important.

He's also additionally got new cores on the way from Ispeedytech but forced a refund before the post arrived, with the corona situation and delays in postage taking months right now from China.

A final observation is that he's criticised the nature of a hybrid core having 1 inch outlet, which is nothing unique to these turbos but is just something he only just realised but chose it as something else to criticise these turbos on.

Based on the Ispeedytech 17t which have been run without many issues for the vast majority for over 2 years and these coming from the same factory, again no doubt the majority won't have any issue as before, but there may be one or 2 failures, or in this case, impossible to please customers.

Walking away with 350usd for 2 turbos, yes because your forced refund so effectively thieved from the vendor.

Fortunately not everyone is such a child on the platform.

Last edited:

typedRew

Sergeant
Feb 25, 2019
Ride
2009 335i xDrive
Update on my Covid 19T build. I was one of the first to pull the trigger on these turbos and received them the 9th of May. I have the initial batch with the weld nut on the center housing. We used a shorter bolt on the oil feed fitting so as not to ‘push up’ against the housing(stock bolt too long for welded nut) and all went together without argument. Don’t see any issues, both wasetgates crack normally and are fully shut at 5-6inches of vacuum. No additional balancing was done.

car is getting a lot of other maintenance done while it’s apart, should be on the road in a week or so. hoping for the best.

Attachments

• 5089CDF7-B273-4237-81F7-04D3DB948AA7.jpeg
    5089CDF7-B273-4237-81F7-04D3DB948AA7.jpeg
    341.8 KB · Views: 179

seb.apprenti

Corporal
Nov 28, 2018
reunion island
Ride
335 i e92
Update on my Covid 19T build. I was one of the first to pull the trigger on these turbos and received them the 9th of May. I have the initial batch with the weld nut on the center housing. We used a shorter bolt on the oil feed fitting so as not to ‘push up’ against the housing(stock bolt too long for welded nut) and all went together without argument. Don’t see any issues, both wasetgates crack normally and are fully shut at 5-6inches of vacuum. No additional balancing was done.

car is getting a lot of other maintenance done while it’s apart, should be on the road in a week or so. hoping for the best.
what is the model of inlet kit? they are deported that is it?

typedRew

Sergeant
Feb 25, 2019
Ride
2009 335i xDrive
what is the model of inlet kit? they are deported that is it?

the inlets and downpipes are both ARM products, outlets are discontinued PSP

seb.apprenti

Corporal
Nov 28, 2018
reunion island
Ride
335 i e92
the inlets and downpipes are both ARM products, outlets are discontinued PSP

I really like this kit
I love the CP, in addition there are already the places to install meth nozzles
I save the link

typedRew

Sergeant
Feb 25, 2019
Ride
2009 335i xDrive
Just about 800 miles on first revision(weld nut center section) 19t.

Tested wastegate operation before install. Both the same as -5.5 inches full shut. Did not balance

very small issues I need to fix, first being how loud this thing is and a minor coolant leak at the heater hose o ring.

no issues. Running great. Tuning on 93 currently. Meth coming soon.

Attachments

• 52B9CBED-60A4-4BEE-9DDE-601344092E64.jpeg
    52B9CBED-60A4-4BEE-9DDE-601344092E64.jpeg
    533.9 KB · Views: 115

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is

Tested wastegate operation before install. Both the same as -5.5 inches full shut. Did not balance

very small issues I need to fix, first being how loud this thing is and a minor coolant leak at the heater hose o ring.

I rode in this car and typedrew's 19T's feel just about the same as my 19T's from DAW. So far so good!

Drew needs to get the exhaust working on before he gets arrested.

• Funny

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90

Are yours from ebay/amazon/ali? Are they a full TD04 CHRA? Most were still TD03.

Reactions: Threetirtyfive

typedRew

Sergeant
Feb 25, 2019
Ride
2009 335i xDrive
Are yours from ebay/amazon/ali? Are they a full TD04 CHRA? Most were still TD03.
eBay. Seller told me I bought the 2nd set to be shipped. That was when only 1 seller had them listed. May 5th I believe.

They are td04. That’s why the center section has the weld nut. They used universal sections and machines them but didn’t have all the correct provisions initially. Of note everything fit fine. Just could not use the oem feed bolt, had to be shorter.

Reactions: seb.apprenti

b4llistic

Corporal
Nov 22, 2018
Ride
BMW N54
EDIT: Thanks your finding and reading my post. Unfortunately, Spoolstreet is no longer a neutral platform where we can have honest discussions on subjects and products freely.

Last edited:

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Is the CHRA on this set a TD03 still? If they would use a TD04 CHRA, you could swap a 19T compressor housing on to these for 100 bucks and have a much nicer set. I'd also say it's a toss up between the China turbo and MMP as to which lasts longer. You'll get arguably better support from the China vendor too.

b4llistic

Corporal
Nov 22, 2018
Ride
BMW N54

Last edited:

b4llistic

Corporal
Nov 22, 2018
Ride
BMW N54

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: typedRew and 135itp

typedRew

Sergeant
Feb 25, 2019
Ride
2009 335i xDrive
@seb.apprenti

25-27psi right now, 23 minimum since the build finished

2000miles on cruise control :laughing: Miles say nothing.

you have absolutely no clue how I drive LMFAO

i only drive this car for fun, its probably in boost more than vacuum

why do miles mean nothing? a few pages ago miles meant everything.

i beat this car within an inch of its life every time i drive it. your bias means nothing, im posting whats happening because it doesnt matter to me what the outcome is

they last forever? great. they die next week? that sucks, but fun experiment

island road

Corporal
Nov 21, 2016
Boston
Ride
535xiT 2010 M Sport
Thought i'd share an update on the new 19T cores with you guys.
Here is a sum-up/comparison of the things that I noticed: China 19T TD03 vs MMP 1K 19T TD04.

What does 3 times the price get you;

Updated CHRA's with the fixed oil feed mount. It's a shame they didn't fully cast the area around the hole but this is still miles better than the early version with the welded nut.

Both have 19T (46mm) compressor wheels as stated.
The China turbo has a smaller turbine wheel (17T 42mm) compared to the MMP 19T (46mm) turbine wheel.
An appearant difference in the quality of wheels is the size of the hub. The MMP bieng larger resulting in a stronger wheel/blades.

While the core itsself of the China is a bit smaller, the shafts seem to be of equal or near equal size and finishing quality. I think they learned from the bad shaft quality reports and also fixed this in the new revision. Ofcourse this says nothing about the quality of the material used here. The finish on the castings looks rougher on the china's.

Here the difference is obvious. The small TD03 compressor housing of the China's does not make sense with the big 19T wheel. Compressor housing exit is barely 1inch. This is a near stock compressor housing meant to be efficient at 8-12psi. Maybe a little more. While it's nice that things just bolt on, there is a serious flow bottleneck here stopping them from generating big and reliable power.
MMP's (also RB and Hydra's) have full TD04 compressorhousings with large exits. This does require a bent coolant line and proper fitting outlets (only silicone available at the moment)
The exhaust manifolds differ greatly. The china's compare mostly to stock manifold, I expect them to flow nice for fast spool but big chance they run out of breath eventually. The MMP's large manifold will increase spooltime but at high HP high RPM operation, I expect these turbo's flow like crazy and outperform the china's while doing so at 5psi less boost :)

I will no longer be fitting them as I still think these 19T China turbo's don't make much sense in choice of parts and still have doubts about longlevity I cannot take away. The 17T's make more sense. However, they still look like very nice turbo's to run at limited boost (read: not 24psi+ like many you never hear from again) and the ideal set for any stock replacement or stage1 upgrade.

So you traded china turbos for blinged out "Expensive" China turbos. My bet would be the 19T last longer.

Last edited: