Upgraded T04 turbos for less $ than stock! Wtf? Link inside

boostE92d

Corporal
Jan 9, 2018
Houston TX
Ride
12 335is
I think this thread is going pretty well Vegas. You bought some very cheap turbos that we now know aren't vtt's. You got a little toasted but that's to be expected, right? You could have showed us pics of your car with a new wrap and someone wouldn't like it.
Just keep us posted, I definitely appreciate your honesty and find this to be a useful thread.

Ranger

Apr 28, 2018
Ride
2008 335I coupe
I find it very convenient VTT announced their new logo compressor housings the same time this thread came out. Maybe JayG335 can chime in. Jay did your stage 2 have VTT's logos cast into them? Maybe you could post up some comparison pics for us?

I believe VTT when they say they had their parts made to their specs. I also think there is a good possibility VTT's supplier is screwing them and reselling their product, China is known for this! Very possible this is the reason VTT had housing made with their logo cast into them and will now be assembled in house.

Chris on your product announcement of the new stage 2's you said
"The compressor housings are cast for us, then laser engraved, these are not available anywhere else, we had them done with a 2" inlet with a bead on it to keep the those inlets on! We know people had problems with them coming off in the past."

The new housing of the GC you posted you said is 2". They looks way bigger than that next to the stage 2 housing that are also supposed to be 2"?

Let Tony out of his cage, we could all break out the popcorn on this thread!

I'm interested to see if these will hold together for you Vegas, I guess that city is all about gambling.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I find it very convenient VTT announced their new logo compressor housings the same time this thread came out.

1. Here's the when this thread came out - April 22, 2018, Post #1:

Screen Shot 2018-04-29 at 8.54.05 AM.png

2. Next, here's the following thread from January 27, 2018, Post #1, four months prior, where VTT is showing their turbos. I'll even include snapshots below, for those that don't wish to click through:

Screen Shot 2018-04-29 at 8.55.52 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-29 at 8.56.15 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-29 at 8.56.27 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-29 at 8.56.41 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-29 at 8.57.00 AM.png

I find it very convenient VTT announced their new logo compressor housings the same time this thread came out.

@Ranger, can you further clarify what you were trying to convey?

Filippo

Last edited:

buster84

Corporal
Mar 24, 2018
Ride
335 bmw xdrive
1. Here's the when this thread came out - April 22, 2018, Post #1.

2. Next, here's the following thread from January 27, 2018, Post #1, four months prior, where VTT is showing their turbos. I'll even include snapshots below, for those that don't wish to click

Filippo

These types of responses are from people who want VTT products without the VTT price and they are just trying to reinforce there own decisions when buying Chinese turbos by convincing themselves it's the same turbo so they can get it for less than 1k instead of 3-4k.

This is like buying a jpworks kit (if your not scammed) or an ON3 kit and claiming it's as good as doc race. When it comes to turbo design/manifold design you are paying a premium for the experience which is also the most costly aspect of turbo building because these things will blow up fast if they are not built/balanced right.

vegasboy

Private
Mar 28, 2018
Ride
2009 335i
I feel this thread has taken a wrong turn. This was never meant to be a bashing thread against VTT. Maybe it would be better if I started a new thread and left VTT out of it. Chris has been a great PR guy for VTT and they are always pushing this platform and I am thankful towards them for that!

buster84

Corporal
Mar 24, 2018
Ride
335 bmw xdrive
I feel this thread has taken a wrong turn. This was never meant to be a bashing thread against VTT. Maybe it would be better if I started a new thread and left VTT out of it. Chris has been a great PR guy for VTT and they are always pushing this platform and I am thankful towards them for that!

You could create a build thread about these turbos and continue the thread for years updating it.

Reactions: Tony4143

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I feel this thread has taken a wrong turn. This was never meant to be a bashing thread against VTT.
I hate drive-by forums - this one is no different than any other. People can just show up, create and account, and first post start bashing people/product/company. Long gone is the idea that one joins a community, understands how that community interacts, and then begins interacting with it.

While some believe in "transparency", I think people showing up and pissing all over people or products lowers the forum value, doesn't increase it. To me ... it's just as bad when new people show up on a forum and start this kind of behavior, as the people that get banned because they've been around for a while (and actually contribute) and don't follow the rules. Who the hell made the rule that showing up and crapping on stuff out the gate is reasonable community behavior - that's just ridiculous.

Filippo

• Agree
Reactions: Ace718 and vegasboy

Milan

Sergeant
Dec 24, 2016
jebi se
Ride
your mom
I don't really feel like this thread is bashing VTT. If MMP is having stuff made in China I promise you we will see his manifolds and housings pop up soon too

Reactions: Tony4143

JuniorB

Sergeant
May 9, 2017
Rhode Island
Ride
07 e60
I was interested in what these offer, and if there going to be up to the task of longevity. The bigger wheel will make a noticeable difference, it's just how long it will last. These may be a great option, there will be haters, but ya know, no different than what out there already. Just didn't understand why the VTT was brought in, accually, these look a lot like the FB hybrids.

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
'08 335i, '14 M6, '15 Tundra
1. Here's the when this thread came out - April 22, 2018, Post #1:

View attachment 11074

2. Next, here's the following thread from January 27, 2018, Post #1, four months prior, where VTT is showing their turbos. I'll even include snapshots below, for those that don't wish to click through:

View attachment 11075 View attachment 11076 View attachment 11077 View attachment 11078 View attachment 11079

Filippo

You need to understand product lines to understand what is going on here. The OP's turbos consist of the same turbo components offered by VTT as part of their Standard Stage 2/2+ setups. However you are linking in pictures of their "GC Reboots".

This stuff is not rocket science people. The Chinas contact all of us vendors and try to do the same thing, some take the bait and some do not. It is extremely evident by anyone who can look at picture to see who is who in this regard. Regarding logos this is not an issue, if we want to engage business with a China for castings they would add our logo as well- no big deal but count on a MOQ to get it done. It is 100% fair to say that IF You see a logo casted into any turbo housing, China is making them. They will literally do back bends to get our business, so adding a bead on an inlet or a logo to the casting is the least of the worries. They are also willing to do the entire build (actually they prefer it and there should be a big "duh" as to why) from the housings to the wheels to the assembly to everything. We have had many discussions with them over this and they still email us until this day asking if we are going to be interested in binding into any order with them.

Now, all of this said, if you are getting your VTT turbos (not from today forward, but including the past) with a VSR balancing sheet that names Hobest (the manufacturer of VTT's VSR) and/or VTT themselves then it is very likely they are at LEAST rebalancing them or truing up the balancing the best they can in house. BUT if you have NO paperwork for the balancing record, it is most likely they are just adding on a label and repackaging and sending it your way with no additional efforts. If we were VTT, rather than saying "our stuff has a logo so it is ours"; we would've certainly mentioned that you all are getting a dated balancing record that shows we had balanced your units in-house... so this should certainly be considered as a valuable resource for vendor validity on each turbo unit. We in particular balance all of our turbos to .1g levels across the entire VSR range which is the best values achievable, and a level of quality you'd never get with a China built turbocharger.

Regarding the aforementioned "GC" lineup, they were initially made by Zage and they had an exclusivity agreement for the product with VTT to get the product line "moving into the USA market" effectively as possible- and they indeed hit the jackpot with some good marketing. This business relationship seized to exist later last year, as we had the ability to purchase whatever it is that we wanted from that point forward. Alongside this what was determined was that VTT had Zage's components copied with apparently the same company who makes the regular China Stage 2/2+ setups, which is why they have the same logos and cast iron based turbine housings now. Ultimately this means cheaper parts and better profits, and most likely more parts to end up on Ebay within the next 6 or so months. Lastly the word on the streets is that the relationship with VTT and Zage ended quite unhealthily, and they are not really engaged with one another anymore; but we guess that is neither here nor there at this point as they now have engaged with another manufacturer from the area who can also get it done with their Zage copied "reboot" design. There is certainly some irony in China copying China's own stuff, but it happens and they are all used to it- it is a way of life and they seem to take it fairly lightly and continue on as needed to keep products moving.

On a final note some may like the truth and some may not; but the above is 100% the truth and about all you need to educate oneself on these matters and do whatever it is they may wish with their product of choice.

Rob

Last edited:

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d

You need to understand product lines to understand what is going on here. The OP's turbos consist of the same turbo components offered by VTT as part of their Standard Stage 2/2+ setups. However you are linking in pictures of their "GC Reboots".

@Rob@RBTurbo I don't doubt you know the lineups and suppliers 100x better than i do. For my clarification, the first quote says, "announced their new logo compressor housings the same time this thread came out." .... wouldn't that be the GC Reboot line?

Or were you addressing something else (and not my comments relating the threads)?

Thanks,

Filippo

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
@Rob@RBTurbo I don't doubt you know the lineups and suppliers 100x better than i do. For my clarification, the first quote says, "announced their new logo compressor housings the same time this thread came out." .... wouldn't that be the GC Reboot line?

Or were you addressing something else (and not my comments relating the threads)?

Thanks,

Filippo

Regarding: highlighted question.

Answer: No. This entire thread is based around the China Ebay offerings which is what the OP found on Ebay. There is zero doubt these are VTT Stage 2's from an entire hardware and machining perspective, which is essentially what happens when you invite China to produce/machine/and potentially assemble your turbos. There stands some potential that VTT has bought all of the same components yet have done the assembly; VSR reports would confirm more than a logo. Now however you brought into this conversation an entirely different VTT lineup, of which history we'd explained thoroughly in the last post. Again these you pictured are dubbed the "GCs" or now the "GC Reboots"- again are totally different than these VTT 2/2+ units being discussed.

In short VTT Stage 2/2+ DOES NOT EQUAL VTT GC/GC REBOOT. This is very easily noticeable by comparing the pieces, the GC style turbo folds are 2 piece (with a v-band) and the 2/2+ versions are a solid 1 piece akin the OEM's. In more technical form the 2/2+ offering has a TD03 Flange interface, TD03 center section, and the smaller journal bearing internals required to fit into the TD03 Assembly; while the GC/GC Reboot has a TD04 Flange interface, TD04 center section, and the larger journal bearing internals required to fit into the TD04 Assembly (making them more robust if built properly).

As for the logos, when they were added, etc; pretty much meaningless as it is just an email away from saying "we will order 25-50 more sets so please add our logo to the next batch".

Much more clarity by thoroughly reading the last post we made, but you do have to understand there are two different platforms but both are fairly similar when said and done.

Rob

Last edited:

Milan

Sergeant
Dec 24, 2016
jebi se
Ride
your mom
There are multiple "revisions" of VTT turbos throughout the years. Most of the people posting in this thread are new to the N54 game and are just talking for the sake of talking.

Original Stage 2/2+ (these are stock frame)
Stage 2/2+ HYBRID (uses the Chinese manifold, this is the one that got ripped off)
GC 1.0
GC 2.0 (current)

Somewhere in there were Stage 3's and I believe ball bearing turbos that never made it to market.

buster84

Corporal
Mar 24, 2018
Ride
335 bmw xdrive
Lol, I was browsing the Facebook group and this guy is at it again.

Buy the dam turbos already!

Screenshot_20180429-223640.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Xm-n54

vegasboy

Private
Mar 28, 2018
Ride
2009 335i
That pic is the link where I bought my turbos it was JDM parts shop eBay seller was allforracing.

vegasboy

Private
Mar 28, 2018
Ride
2009 335i
That is the link where I bought my turbos it was JDM parts shop, seller was allforacing.

There was no balance sheet included. Turbos were shipped in one box that had two boxes inside, one for each turbo packed in foam.
478DB9E8-652E-4E7D-A4AB-D42D4A6D6B5B.jpeg
7D326B21-7ED4-43F7-B911-248AE5C3E3D6.jpeg
4AEB0356-2A7B-48C5-B928-4201E39F70E3.jpeg

From what I’ve gathered here is that the new “logo” style VTT stage 2 turbos have not shipped yet because they just got them done. What was being sent out up to this point were units that, at least in pics, look almost identical to what I received from this eBay seller.

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
16 kits sold so far on the ebay listing....someone should have numbers soon

Sweet. Hexon part 2 in the making...

Initial feedback: Awesome, great deal, spool awesome- made good power too! Sometimes when spool I may hear some shrieking though. Any ideas?

3-6 months later: Car is smoking a bit. Not sure if it is the PCV system, but it was all replaced including a new valve cover and also tried new oil drains. Any ideas?

6-12 months later: Mechanic pulled downpipes and found a bunch of play in the turbos. So I messaged the Ebay Store, they replied "Sorry about your issues. This store is now under new management and the Ebay Store has been renamed. You may wish to dispute with paypal." But I can't dispute with paypal as it has been too long. Any ideas?

12-18 months later: For sale ads: "Fully Cast Stage 2 turbos! Purchased brand new and one is in great condition (aside for some housing cracking) but the other is in need of immediate rebuild, $150 shipped for both to the USA"

:D
Rob

Last edited: