Upgraded T04 turbos for less $ than stock! Wtf? Link inside

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Are you going by forums or also using Facebook? I see quite a lot of results on Facebook, as it seems to have supplanted regular forum posts.

buster84

Corporal
Mar 24, 2018
Ride
335 bmw xdrive
JuniorB
I’m not trying to convince anyone of anything. I’m just trying to share my experience so if anyone is looking at these turbos they will have a little bit more information to go off. I really should have just left my mouth shut instead of getting flamed, but I thought this board was about sharing information!

Turbos are installed, I’ m waiting for motor mounts to show up to reinstall subframe. I’m working this weekend so hopefully can get it all back together on Monday. View attachment 11009View attachment 11010
Ar down pipes are on but didnt get a pic of them installed.

Still not sure what I have to do as far as tuning goes. I was running JB4 with MHD backend flash.

Thinking of running pump gas first and then adding PI and E85 down the road.

So it's now Wednesday....

It's Friday... they must have already exploided like Hawaii's volcano

Operation_Upshot-Knothole_-_Badger_001.jpg

• Dumb
Reactions: martymil

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
'08 335i, '14 M6, '15 Tundra
It's Friday... they must have already exploided like Hawaii's volcano

You're going to have to be patient sir, REALLY patient, if you are wanting some meaningful feedback.

Although the manufacturer/vendor will know much sooner it is most likely you (and the rest of the masses) will not know the real story (on all products from most vendors for that matter) for somewhere between 1 through ∞ years.

Rob

MoreBoost

Sergeant
Jul 27, 2017
Ride
335i
Exactly my point - you mention how busy you are, how many are sold, but when you look for the customers - they are nowhere to be found. Interesting. The only RB results I've seen are the ones that went 129 or 130 in the 1/4 like 4 years ago...Where's the current results?

This is the thing. I got GCs coming up to 2 years ago. I've seen about 1 guy saying he got something like 650whp out of his. I've seen about 2 or 3 reviews of the lites where they hit aroung 550 to 600whp.

The car modifying scene in the UK is an absolute fraction of what it is in the states. Like 95% of people don't modify their cars if you don't count just a remap and wheels. So I never encounter anyone with GCs in the UK.

Where are all the GC customers? Where are their results? Where are the online reviews? They say they've sold like 150 pairs or something like that. Even on facebook I don't seem to see dyno results. Then you hear VTT will refuse to help anyone who's posted negatively about their turbos.

I've done a fair bit to my car and really I'm limited by other components before I can go for more power.
I've trapped at 129 mph but with misfires from about the last 3rd of the track. I now have an M4 flywheel to fit which apparently could be the solution but I'm sceptical.

I need uprated DCT clutches and probably axles. Plus it may be at the point where the engine needs sleeves \ go closed deck etc.

About a month or 2 after my GCs were installed a friend of mine had his lites destroy themselves. The turbine blades delaminated or something like that.

So with the complete change in the now V2 version of the GCs I'm left wondering if I have a ticking time bomb.

I've got quite a few miles on mine but I run alot of water\meth keeping the temps down when on fairly high boost. I've only really pushed them hard occasionally.

So good luck to the guys with the China Turbos. You haven't got a huge amount to loose. It's a shame we can't just bolt on some Garrets.

MoreBoost

Sergeant
Jul 27, 2017
Ride
335i
That's the thing the guys are turning the same times, getting the same peformance results; so there is not much more to share? Also the results are still the same or in some cases better than all of the new "better" setups. Coincidence? Not sure but we typically do not scout out results and post the same results over and over, it gets a bit old after the first few years and we are now five years beyond that. Also if you are looking for big power (and we have said this a gazillion times over the years), go buy a ST kit. Our focus has been RELIABILITY as the variable with the performance as being the constant, there is substantial rewards for this philosophy but it takes time to realize.

If you want some "current" RB results there are a couple forum RHD guys talking in some Australian threads running the low 11.0@130+mph range- but agree once again this is not anything knew. Some other guy just emailed about his Beta RB Twos that literally demolished his retired Brand X Stage "3"s at his local 1/8 dragstrip too on his first time out- because they actually have great boost response. Will these customers ever post about this stuff online? Not sure, it would be nice, we just hear about it as with everything daily via phone and emails and it is not our first inclination to make the post ourselves about it.

Rob

With the shtty RWD I'd ignore the ETs and focus on the trap speeds.

About 135mph is the fastest I've seen on after market twin turbos. Which yeah, isn't much better than 5 years ago.

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
This is the thing. I got GCs coming up to 2 years ago. I've seen about 1 guy saying he got something like 650whp out of his. I've seen about 2 or 3 reviews of the lites where they hit aroung 550 to 600whp.

Where are all the GC customers? Where are their results? Where are the online reviews? They say they've sold like 150 pairs or something like that. Even on facebook I don't seem to see dyno results. Then you hear VTT will refuse to help anyone who's posted negatively about their turbos.

Most people don't post. By far the majority of people that I interact with are lurkers or just sort of doing their own thing (which makes sense given the platform). Also it seems most people tend to either buy turbos RIGHT NOW because theirs are gone, or the buy them and don't install for some significant time. There are plenty of results out there -just depends on where you look. Not to mention lots of guys will do a street tune, never actually put it on a dyno, and go about their business with a moderate but healthy power upgrade.

As for hearing that VTT will refuse to help anyone who has posted negatively, this is patently false. We have never stated that, never will, and more importantly have never acted on that premise.

Chris

• Agree
Reactions: buster84

imsy85

May 10, 2018
Ride
335i
Jack, no-one hardly tunes here past a remap and FBO because of the cost of getting the shit sent from the States with shipping and duty.

Secondly RB Turbos... you should take a look at your RHD outlets coz most of the ones I have seen in the UK are junk. for £500 ($680) just for a pipe i would have expected a far superior quality. Just saying...

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Most people don't post. By far the majority of people that I interact with are lurkers or just sort of doing their own thing (which makes sense given the platform). Also it seems most people tend to either buy turbos RIGHT NOW because theirs are gone, or the buy them and don't install for some significant time. There are plenty of results out there -just depends on where you look. Not to mention lots of guys will do a street tune, never actually put it on a dyno, and go about their business with a moderate but healthy power upgrade.

As for hearing that VTT will refuse to help anyone who has posted negatively, this is patently false. We have never stated that, never will, and more importantly have never acted on that premise.

Chris
This is where the Internet is our greatest information gift and greatest information curse, our greatest community gift and our greatest community curse, all in one breath.

From my limited experience talking to people, this post is spot on - lots of lurkers, not many post. And Chris said it with grace, where I'll say it more bluntly - "which makes sense given the platform" - a fair number of people are outright intimidated to post, given the way interaction can go on the forums.

We seems to take the 10% and treat it as the 90%. Most vendors are trying to do the right thing, and most consumers are not completely stupid. This is a shortcoming of the "community" - it's hard to enter it. I'm pretty new to the N54 world, and come from a few other communities where the experience was pretty different. I'm pretty good at sorting this kind of stuff out, and I'm challenged. I empathize with the lurkers.

Filippo

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
Secondly RB Turbos... you should take a look at your RHD outlets coz most of the ones I have seen in the UK are junk. for £500 ($680) just for a pipe i would have expected a far superior quality. Just saying...

We’ve sold a ton of these around the world over 2 years and have heard of 1 reported issue (which was about a year ago) to date.

And the cost is $249 plus $100 for heat shield and wastegate solenoid bracket- last we checked that adds up to $349 USD.

• Informative
Reactions: 08_335i

Milan

Sergeant
Dec 24, 2016
jebi se
Ride
your mom
We seems to take the 10% and treat it as the 90%. Most vendors are trying to do the right thing, and most consumers are not completely stupid. This is a shortcoming of the "community" - it's hard to enter it. I'm pretty new to the N54 world, and come from a few other communities where the experience was pretty different. I'm pretty good at sorting this kind of stuff out, and I'm challenged. I empathize with the lurkers.

Really? My experience is the opposite. I think most of the consumers on this platform ARE stupid. That's why modding coils is a big deal, why PR has to redesign theirs to make it as PnP as possible because most of the retards modding these cars are trying to stick a square peg in a round hole. If you want a good representation of the "lurkers", go look at some of the shit for sale on CL. Everything is so ghetto rigged, very few people are taking pride in this platform anymore. The ones that are are the OGs posting in the if you had to do it again thread.

Typical N54 owner: Buy car for cheap as possible, skip over maintenance, install JB4 and ebay mods right away. Throw in more E85 than the car can handle, start having injector/coil/HPFP/water pump problems and sell car because they have no ability to maintain anything and they couldn't afford the car in the first place. Honestly this car is like the B5 S4 all over again, only with a much less mechanically inclined generation purchasing it.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
@Milan you may well be right and maybe I'm a little more optimistic and the number is quite a bit higher than 10%.

Filippo

vegasboy

Private
Mar 28, 2018
Ride
2009 335i
I guess it’s time for an update. Turbos are on and car is running. First few miles I put on the car these things smoked like a freight train, white smoke was pouring out from under the hood and out the exhaust.

I know what you are all saying I shouldn’t have bought them I got what I paid for.....well hold on a minute cause the smoke was temporary. The smoke under the hood was because these things come with a coating of oil on the cast manifolds so they don’t rust and the smoke from the tail pipes was residue oil from my old leaking turbos. Smoke from the manifolds burned off within 15mins and after I put about 50 miles on the car the tail pipes stopped smoking.

So far car is running great, I made switch to Rotella T6 because of the high Zinc and Phos content. My old turbos I was going through a quart of oil every 300-400 miles. These turbos it’s too soon to tell as I only have about 200 miles on them. I still need to figure out tuning I’m just running the basic setup Terry recommend for hybrid turbos. I’m using JB4 with MHD pump BEF.

Car pulls good but so far have only ran map 2. There might be a touch of turbo lag but this also could be just my tune. I was running E85 flash prior and currently just 91 pump gas. Our local gas station lost their liscense to sell E85 last month but I drove by today and looks like the pumps are open again so I may try to flash back to E85.

Current mods are: These stage 2 turbos, RB pvc, oil catch can, Phoenix racing charge pipe w/ Tial BOV and Phoenix race intercooler, BMS 2” China inlets, stage 2 LPFP, JB4 w/ MHD bef, 034 motor mounts, AR catless DP, M3 front control arms and sway bar.

Sitting in my garage but not installed: M3 rear bushings and rear sway bar, Wavetrac limited slip, MMP port injection.

Last edited:

imsy85

May 10, 2018
Ride
335i
We’ve sold a ton of these around the world over 2 years and have heard of 1 reported issue (which was about a year ago) to date.

And the cost is $249 plus $100 for heat shield and wastegate solenoid bracket- last we checked that adds up to $349 USD.

1 report?? Ok I can make that go up by 300% from what I seen, the pipes were junk. Also check your UK vendor. They are sold for £500. Thats why the UK modding scene isn't as big as the US, coz we get bummed on the pricing.
As I said, just saying, as I see you have quite alot to say yourself.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Rob@RBTurbo

MoreBoost

Sergeant
Jul 27, 2017
Ride
335i

Yes I got the VTT outlets and yours Rob. I will say your outlets are brilliant and they are the ones I chose to fit. Your design really helps with the RHD steering rack being in such a PITA location. I'm still amazed that silicon can survive being so close to turbos that if run hard will glow. The heat shield is excellent and the bracket for the solenoids was an awesome idea.

Reactions: Rob@RBTurbo

MoreBoost

Sergeant
Jul 27, 2017
Ride
335i

Chris

That's what I saw posted on Facebook. Fair enough if you say it's not true. I'll believe you.

So why the massive redesign of the GCs though?

MoreBoost

Sergeant
Jul 27, 2017
Ride
335i
I guess it’s time for an update. Turbos are on and car is running. First few miles I put on the car these things smoked like a freight train, white smoke was pouring out from under the hood and out the exhaust.

I know what you are all saying I shouldn’t have bought them I got what I paid for.....well hold on a minute cause the smoke was temporary. The smoke under the hood was because these things come with a coating of oil on the cast manifolds so they don’t rust and the smoke from the tail pipes was residue oil from my old leaking turbos. Smoke from the manifolds burned off within 15mins and after I put about 50 miles on the car the tail pipes stopped smoking.

So far car is running great, I made switch to Rotella T6 because of the high Zinc and Phos content. My old turbos I was going through a quart of oil every 300-400 miles. These turbos it’s too soon to tell as I only have about 200 miles on them. I still need to figure out tuning I’m just running the basic setup Terry recommend for hybrid turbos. I’m using JB4 with MHD pump BEF.

Car pulls good but so far have only ran map 2. There might be a touch of turbo lag but this also could be just my tune. I was running E85 flash prior and currently just 91 pump gas. Our local gas station lost their liscense to sell E85 last month but I drove by today and looks like the pumps are open again so I may try to flash back to E85.

Current mods are: These stage 2 turbos, RB pvc, oil catch can, Phoenix racing charge pipe w/ Tial BOV and Phoenix race intercooler, BMS 2” China inlets, stage 2 LPFP, JB4 w/ MHD bef, 034 motor mounts, AR catless DP, M3 front control arms and sway bar.

Sitting in my garage but not installed: M3 rear bushings and rear sway bar, Wavetrac limited slip, MMP port injection.

Good job.

A proper tune makes all the difference, even on a stock car with stock turbos. What some tuners can do with the load targeting and boost mapping is just incredible. Transforms the car.

I do hope your turbos are properly balanced etc. You see a heck of alot of ebay turbo reviews on youtube. Eventually they just end up slamming the housing and falling apart.

FredHarwood

Lurker
Apr 26, 2018
UK
Ride
335i N54 2006
Be interesting to see these in action after a tune! A video maybe? I wonder what the reliability is going to be like long term though :flushed:

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
1 report?? Ok I can make that go up by 300% from what I seen, the pipes were junk. Also check your UK vendor. They are sold for £500. Thats why the UK modding scene isn't as big as the US, coz we get bummed on the pricing.
As I said, just saying, as I see you have quite alot to say yourself.

We are not going to control dealer pricing, and we offer them outright if one wants to go that route we are an email away. Not that you’d want them either way as it seems.

As for the issues apparently we have a great bunch of customers who don’t even report a problem when encountered and they just keep on referring friends to buy (we don’t even advertise these things). Start a new thread about it if you want, no worries; we’d like to see what’s said and also ask why there’s no reports to us about these issues of which you speak so highly.

imsy85

May 10, 2018
Ride
335i
No thanks, im not going to start a thread on this. i just find it humorous how you knock on other vendors when your own products are hardly worth shouting about.

The customers wouldn't report the issue to you directly as they buy from rip off merchants here in the UK who offer them exchanges and refunds. Anyways - thats another discussion for another thread.