Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars
If your goal is simply 550-600hp. I would still just get the high flows. Stock engine will be happier running less boost for rated HP than running the DD's at a higher pressure ratio to make the power goal. try not to size turbos for a goal that will run them at their limit.

• Agree
Reactions: 08_335i

cloud9blue

Sergeant
Oct 17, 2017
Ride
09 E92 335i
I get where your coming from and appreciate the info. Ive talked to Jake at motiv and we will do what we can to get the car dialed in as best as we can for track reliability. The only single kit i would get is the motiv and i dont have the funds to spend that much yet but one day will. So for time being even if the pure last me 2 years ill be more than happy with them. I do about 1-2 track days a month. And i dont track during the summer months.

Any links to your build would love to see what been done and what it looks like? Cant see you location but what tracks have you taken your car to? Being in Socal ive only been to the local ones: Big willow, streets of willow, Autoclub speedway and Buttonwillow (my favorite by far)

Motiv's kit is real nice for sure, but I do wish they had a twin scroll manifold and fitment for Borg Warner EFR turbos. There are other great single turbo kit out there too just FYI.

I don't really have build thread or anything like that, too lazy to write such thing lol. But I will probably write up something once I get my new setup running after the new year. Still waiting for Anthony from ACF to ship me top mount kit along with the EFR 7670 turbo. I am glad to finally ditch the rattling stock turbos.

If it helps, I do have a wheelwell page for the car (https://wheelwell.com/thomas-y/jnc/2009-bmw-3-series). My goal for this car is to improve both the handling and power without sacrificing too much on comfort.

I am at Chicago, so just the tracks around the midwest region (Gingerman, Road America, Autobahn, etc.)

SuperVeloceE82

Private
Nov 5, 2016
Socal
If your goal is simply 550-600hp. I would still just get the high flows. Stock engine will be happier running less boost for rated HP than running the DD's at a higher pressure ratio to make the power goal. try not to size turbos for a goal that will run them at their limit.

My goal is 550 crank and around 500whp. The car will most of the time be on a 91 map that im looking for 420-430whp and a e85 track map thats around 450whp but dialed in to perform on the track for 15-20 without over heating or super high egts. And a e85 high boost/kill mode map good for 500whp. Dont need more that 500whp wheel when i plan in getting the car to about 3000lbs. Should put me at a power to weight ratio in the low 5.2ish range.

SuperVeloceE82

Private
Nov 5, 2016
Socal
Motiv's kit is real nice for sure, but I do wish they had a twin scroll manifold and fitment for Borg Warner EFR turbos. There are other great single turbo kit out there too just FYI.

I don't really have build thread or anything like that, too lazy to write such thing lol. But I will probably write up something once I get my new setup running after the new year. Still waiting for Anthony from ACF to ship me top mount kit along with the EFR 7670 turbo. I am glad to finally ditch the rattling stock turbos.

If it helps, I do have a wheelwell page for the car (https://wheelwell.com/thomas-y/jnc/2009-bmw-3-series). My goal for this car is to improve both the handling and power without sacrificing too much on comfort.

I am at Chicago, so just the tracks around the midwest region (Gingerman, Road America, Autobahn, etc.)

Always wants to go to road america but too far lol

Most of the track n54 ive seen run the Motiv kit with no issues. I like the clean look it has the reliability that comes with it. No cranked VC due to heat or what not

Last edited:

SuperVeloceE82

Private
Nov 5, 2016
Socal
I get that the hiflows allow for more power and running less boost to reach my goal but my goal is being hit with car running full e85 and stock turbos. I think i should be good till i have the funds to go single with built motor and turn ny 1er into a full blown track animal

08_335i

Sergeant
Nov 3, 2016
Ride
2008 ST 335i
I get that the hiflows allow for more power and running less boost to reach my goal but my goal is being hit with car running full e85 and stock turbos. I think i should be good till i have the funds to go single with built motor and turn ny 1er into a full blown track animal
the high flows will generate less heat throughout a 15-20 session on the track compared to the DD's. Consider this.

SuperVeloceE82

Private
Nov 5, 2016
Socal
the high flows will generate less heat throughout a 15-20 session on the track compared to the DD's. Consider this.

Yeah thats true. Honestly just not enough info out on the DDs. Guess ill be a tester and see how they do. I still dont plan on running high boost on track. Maybe like 17-19psi. I also plan on doing alot of cooling and adding hood vents to keep the overall temps down.

08_335i

Sergeant
Nov 3, 2016
Ride
2008 ST 335i
After reading everything, and what your plan is, I think you should just grab the High Flows honestly. The "lag" becomes a null point on the track when you're holding proper gears\rpms. So why not keep temps, and make your motor stress less by running the high flows instead of the DD?

SuperVeloceE82

Private
Nov 5, 2016
Socal
After reading everything, and what your plan is, I think you should just grab the High Flows honestly. The "lag" becomes a null point on the track when you're holding proper gears\rpms. So why not keep temps, and make your motor stress less by running the high flows instead of the DD?

Yeah i see what your saying kinda wish i did but little too late since i already ordered them last week.

SuperVeloceE82

Private
Nov 5, 2016
Socal
Pure's costumer service has always been fantastic from what I've seen, I'm sure they'd have no problem with you wanting to upgrade.

You were right they switched it for me.

Now im wondering how the hiflows will be with low boost? Might be better to have a tad bit of lag coming out of corners so the back end doesnt start dancing around on me

cloud9blue

Sergeant
Oct 17, 2017
Ride
09 E92 335i
I doubt it makes a difference. Both are still using the same stock turbine housing (so the same A/R ratio). The only difference is that the wheels are bit larger.

Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars
You were right they switched it for me.

Now im wondering how the hiflows will be with low boost? Might be better to have a tad bit of lag coming out of corners so the back end doesnt start dancing around on me

Its all in the tune. Just need to setup the tune to be how you want the car to drive. i'm sure you'll be happy with the Hi-Flows.

08_335i

Sergeant
Nov 3, 2016
Ride
2008 ST 335i
I doubt it makes a difference. Both are still using the same stock turbine housing (so the same A/R ratio). The only difference is that the wheels are bit larger.
Which equates to less RPM's of the turbo, which equates to less heat being produced.

Reactions: SuperVeloceE82