Pure Turbos Stage 3 (PS3) dyno results for N55

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
@houtan awesome stuff man. Nice turbo.

What are the rules for rpm band on the N55? Can you raise the redline with these bigger kits (PS3/ST/BB)?

Biggest change to my car was when I had enough flow and turbos to match for high end powerband and opened up to >8k limiter.

Reactions: wheela and Torgus

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2
Thanks Alex!

I wish I had an answer to your question. There isnā€™t a ton of information posted on e series n55s unfortunately. I would love to know though. I can raise my redline in my tune and have reved past 7k on accident, but not sure if there is more power there and if the stock hw is capable of handling it.

Do you have any logs of your car revving to 8k? Or any logs would be great. Wild love to take a look at them and compare to mine.

Reactions: JPuehl

azshantris

Corporal
Aug 27, 2019
Ride
2011 135i N55 DCT GTX1000
Awesome, looking forward to hearing what you go with. Who did you order a tune from?
Going with Steven from Wedge cause he did my previous tune and I was happy with it. Plus Ken did my dads tune on VTT 2+ turbos on his N54, definitely been happy with their service.

I just FINALLY got my order going for a GTX1000 from bigboost. That's the Garrett GTX3584RS. I'll be starting with just 92oct cause there is NO E85 available within an hour drive and I'm not gonna add port injection yet. So I don't expect near as high of power numbers as you're hitting, but going for the bigger turbo gives me the room to add on later. I'm very excited and really hoping to get to this project before the end of the year depending when I actually get all my parts and take the time off to get it installed and tuned.

Edit to add:
I didn't realize our cars were so similar haha, watching your dyno vid gave me chills thinking about when I get to do mine šŸ˜. Also really glad to see that they're so similar cause i get to follow in your footsteps.
Uhm don't blow anything up so I can stay excited haha
Really hoping I don't run into issues with my stock flywheel on the dct šŸ˜¬

Last edited:

onedirty5

Lurker
Jul 29, 2021
Going with Steven from Wedge cause he did my previous tune and I was happy with it. Plus Ken did my dads tune on VTT 2+ turbos on his N54, definitely been happy with their service.

I just FINALLY got my order going for a GTX1000 from bigboost. That's the Garrett GTX3584RS. I'll be starting with just 92oct cause there is NO E85 available within an hour drive and I'm not gonna add port injection yet. So I don't expect near as high of power numbers as you're hitting, but going for the bigger turbo gives me the room to add on later. I'm very excited and really hoping to get to this project before the end of the year depending when I actually get all my parts and take the time off to get it installed and tuned.

Edit to add:
I didn't realize our cars were so similar haha, watching your dyno vid gave me chills thinking about when I get to do mine šŸ˜. Also really glad to see that they're so similar cause i get to follow in your footsteps.
you will for sure have issues with stock flywheel ditch it asap

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2

Edit to add:
Agree with @onedirty5 , you may want to look into getting the flywheel done. I know of one person that has been lucky with it not causing issues, but literally everyone else I know it caused issues with false misfires.

Glad to hear sharing information has been helpful to you. Sounds like an awesome setup. Looking forward to hearing how everything goes.

Reactions: wheela

zoltanic

Private
Nov 26, 2022
Very impressive.. I'm hoping maybe you can help me or point me in the right direction.. I'm looking for a tuner and a DYNO that will run my Xi . I Live in the OC area but im willing to drive out the county if needed.. I tried to message you privately but it wouldn't let me..

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2
Just a minor update to the original post. Been working on figuring out the misfire issue at 600 whp with friends and forum members and we figured out a way to completely disable misfire detection. Tried it out and it worked, allowing me to run 26-27 psi. Car is a lot faster and ran a great 100-200 time which I added to the original post as well as below.
Dragy 13NOV2023.JPG

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2
I donā€™t see the issue. Hahaha, jk!

I totally agree, this is less than ideal. I am doing this just to test if misfire detection is the issue and to be honest, if it would work. We have tried a lot of things over the last two years and nothing worked. This idea came from the n54 misfire thread, but now we need to find the same tables that allow this to be disabled by rpm and gear.

There is a forum member in the n55 forum that will help us implement this correctly.

My logs are good and I have the octane so I took the risk to test this. In truth, I have 6 on the fly boost settings and typically I am driving around at 14psi, especially since traction is much better. Then I click my boost switch as I shift gears if I want more power. Yes, a very ghetto boost by gear haha.

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2
Very impressive.. I'm hoping maybe you can help me or point me in the right direction.. I'm looking for a tuner and a DYNO that will run my Xi . I Live in the OC area but im willing to drive out the county if needed.. I tried to message you privately but it wouldn't let me..
Sorry. I am just seeing this now!

I am not sure on Dynos but I know who should tune your car. You still need a tuner?

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2
Updated the original post. Been working on the tune and the old girl is still picking up some speed. Still full weight, still on street tires (kumho v730)

1 - JXdVexu.png
2 - qjxcnla.png

Reactions: mwpa71 and wheela