DICKASS BBK

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
"What I did was completely focus on power. I didn't focus on brakes, suspension, handling, ...."

That's a guy I can't wait to get his seasoned thought! I'm getting my pencil out!

Filippo

Reactions: scrllock

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
"What I did was completely focus on power. I didn't focus on brakes, suspension, handling, ...."

Basically every 335i owner nowadays or so it feels like from social media.

Aliaxpress $900 turbos and a no name Instagram tuner with an open diff and blown stock struts and crap maintenance.

Last edited:

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
The problem is people will think that is the case no matter what unless you have an overpriced precision turbo with a doc race kit and a built motor.

Reactions: NoGuru

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
The problem is people will think that is the case no matter what unless you have an overpriced precision turbo with a doc race kit and a built motor.
Can you expand on this idea? I'm not sure what "that is the case" is referring to?

Filippo

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt

Bit of a product gap between China clones and a DocRace/built N54, agreed?

Let's be reasonable.

Also, precision turbos are inexpensive int he grand scheme of things.

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
The debate over "Does more expensive mean more better" can go on forever. What it boils down to is risk vs reward. How much am I willing to spend to get XXX function. Will it cause issues down the road and am I willing to deal with those issue if they arise.

9krpmrx8

Lieutenant
Nov 5, 2016
San Antonio, Texas
Yep, typically I am a "you get what you pay for" type of guy, but over the years I have also seen expensive products from Wagner and other very expensive parts first hand with shitty fitment, poor customer service, etc. Plus now days you have brands that are considered legit (Seibon, R1 Concepts, etc) that started as companies that made replica parts or sold rebranded cheap chinese stuff on Ebay.

Seb335i

Corporal
Jun 14, 2019
Ride
BMW 335i E93 DKG
A good friend of mine has worked for Brembo during 8 years he was in charge to control quality build in China.
Brembo brakes are now made in China and Dickass was one of the manufacturer. What some call knock off are in fact produced on the same assembly line.

Last edited:

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
A good friend of mine as worked for Brembo during 8 years he was in charge to control quality build in China.
Brembo brakes are now made in China and Dickass was one of the manufacturer. What some call knock off are in fact produced on the same assembly line.
That is very interesting!

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
If a foreign company wants to build a plant in China they MUST get into a Joint Venture with a local Company. This is why all major companies have weird company names in China.

Fawer-Volkswagen for example.
BMW Brilliance Automotive
Beijing Benz Automotive Co Ltd <-- Daimler Mercedes

It is an open secret that China wants to steal your confidential stuff so that they gain know-how within their country.

Brembo is one of the really many companies that wanted to enter the China market so badly that they committed know-how transfer for the sake of income increase and hoping that this joint venture would create more income than damage.
This is actually how companies calculate the risk and chances of entering China markets.

Tier 1 companies and OEMs have to be on that market or you miss a big chunk. But most Tier 2 companies and lower are hesitating with all of their product lines. Mostly you will see that Tier 2 and lower suppliers don´t offer all of their products in China to secure their intellectual property from being transferred to a chinesium company.

Reactions: doublespaces

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
A good friend of mine has worked for Brembo during 8 years he was in charge to control quality build in China.
So what you are saying, @Seb335i , is that Brembo is getting dickassed?

Filippo