Ad: xHP Flashtool: Official thread - ZF6HP TCU Flash

Nov 14, 2016
North Wilkesboro
I'm aware of that and we're working on this. In general the 335i suffer a little from those extremely long gear ratios. Therefore it's hard to get it right. Likely this feature won't be ready for the first maps, but it will be implemented at a later stage and all maps upgraded for free with it.
GETTING THE CHRISTMAS AND POST CARDS READY FOR YOU! :D I dont mind it not being there in release but, seeing that it is possible and that you will do it, greatly excites me.

Feb 17, 2017
Ride
2007 6AT E93 335i
That is excellent information. And even greater news that you're working with Motiv and xhp!

I did suspect your calibration would be far more advanced than just an xhp flash. I'd recommend updating your own thread with all this information as your OP was vague on details and here you've provided very detailed information here.

I would have gotten your transmission but I'm in Australia and you weren't doing international shipping. After shipping costs back and forth, it'd add up to quite a bit with our weak dollar!

Nizpro being local to me seems like the only option for me.

Big props to you for pushing the envelope for auto guys!

One question, how do you think the transmission will handle those ST guys with built motors chasing 800hp and north?

bradsm87

Corporal
Dec 15, 2016
I have been watching this thread and want to clear some things up before it spins out of control with speculation...

You are absolutely right, in the beginning, due to uncertainty, we were considering any flashing of the TCU as something that would void our warranty. We have since begun to reconsider that stance with a few conditions since this will obviously remove the transmission's ability to protect itself (i.e. misfires due to pinging the torque limiters). If you choose to use xHP, it will be your responsibility to keep your power level within our transmission's calibrated power rating.

Through reading out our calibration from the TCU and comparing it to what the xHP flasher has control of, Clemens and I have been able to determine with a high level of certainty that the xHP flasher cannot access the area of the TCU that contains our custom calibration so it should not have any adverse affect on how we have calibrated the transmission.

You are right again in your statement that we have built in a factor of safety and increased spectrum of usage in where we have rated these units. Our rating of 30% increase in torque capacity over the stock configuration correlates to ~715wtq and is, in itself, a bit on the conservative side without taking into consideration the power levels we actually calibrated them at. We hardly think that $4,500 for a built and custom calibrated unit is unreasonable especially when a remanufactured stock unit is over $5,500. As I have stated in other threads, if your power goals exceed the 715wtq power level, our transmission solution is not for you.

We, too, have increased clutch plates throughout the entire transmission but not at the detriment of clutch bind which can and will effect shift quality. Any time you add clamping capacity by changing dynamic coefficients of the friction material or adding clutch plates, a custom calibration is absolutely necessary to compliment and optimize these changes. Again, to reiterate, we use 2 different machines to calibrate our units, one for the valvebody itself and one for the entire transmission as a unit (the loaded trans dyno cell). These machines cost upwards of $150k USD so very few shops have this kind of ability. This is the same calibration method BMW uses.

You are somewhat correct in stating our calibration does more that the xHP flash although what we are doing is on different sides of the fence so to speak. There is really no comparison because we are accessing and changing values in tables in 2 different areas of the TCU. In theory, xHP will enhance our calibration in the sense that you can fine tune exactly how you want it to shift and removing the torque nannies on the DME side will benefit the guys pushing the power levels to the limits of our calibration.

So, in conclusion, Propulsive Dynamics will not automatically void the warranty for using xHP but we also expect our customers to be responsible in how they treat their equipment. If you are reckless and consistently super-exceed the designed power specifications of any system, you are going to have a bad day.

Also a note of significance; we are working with Chris@Motiv and Clemens@xHP to develop a xHP flash that will compliment our custom calibration for those that want to push the limits of our transmissions. Hopefully this will be done before mass production of the clutches and bushings is complete so this topic of concern will be avoided altogether.

I'm happy to address any other questions and/or concerns you guys might have.

That seems bizarre that your calibration does not touch tables such as offgoing shift pressure, ongoing shift pressure or timespan tables that are used by xHP. They are all only mapped up to 450nm or 498nm. Why would you not change these tables? I'm just interested so I can learn. Cheers.

AUbeast86

Sergeant
Nov 6, 2016
New Market, AL
Ride
335i e92 6MT
That is excellent information. And even greater news that you're working with Motiv and xhp!

I did suspect your calibration would be far more advanced than just an xhp flash. I'd recommend updating your own thread with all this information as your OP was vague on details and here you've provided very detailed information here.

I would have gotten your transmission but I'm in Australia and you weren't doing international shipping. After shipping costs back and forth, it'd add up to quite a bit with our weak dollar!

Nizpro being local to me seems like the only option for me.

Big props to you for pushing the envelope for auto guys!

One question, how do you think the transmission will handle those ST guys with built motors chasing 800hp and north?

Actually, I'm shipping one to Denmark and one to Melbourne ;)
Shipping from ATL airport to an airport closest to you would be around $900USD plus any duty.

It has been handling the ST power very well since the bigger turbos have a much smoother torque curve.

As I have stated numerous times before, this trans is not for guys with built engines unless they are staying at or below the power rating and have built their engines for longevity margin alone.

AUbeast86

Sergeant
Nov 6, 2016
New Market, AL
Ride
335i e92 6MT
That seems bizarre that your calibration does not touch tables such as offgoing shift pressure, ongoing shift pressure or timespan tables that are used by xHP. They are all only mapped up to 450nm or 498nm. Why would you not change these tables? I'm just interested so I can learn. Cheers.

I don't want to hijack this thread but maybe I need to make one last clarification... xHP will not change super critical things that work in concert with upgraded hardware to make your transmission stronger such as line pressures associated with clamping force, slip duration, adaption parameters, ATF pump speeds etc. That is what our calibration adjusts based on real-time responses in the transmission on the dyno with the upgraded hardware.
xHP will absolutely change the shift schedules as well as remove the torque ceilings in the BMW block which is why we say to be careful when tuning this part of the TCU since we have optimized the shifts on the dyno. However, there is always improvement to be had regarding shift tuning on the highway based on personal preference, which is what makes this a good compliment to our calibration.
A good way to look at is, we make the trans physically stronger, xHP further customizes the shift personality. It's a win-win.

Reactions: crowdedthehouse

rhodesman

Corporal
Mar 21, 2017
Maryland
rhodesman.com
Ride
2010 BMW E88 N54 135i
BETA STARTS NOW!! :cool:

Final release is planned for 30th March!

Well that's sooner than I expected and will be just in time for my trip down to Deal's Gap!!! So I'll be able to really get to know your new TCU tune quite well within days of loading up the software (if March 30 is a firm date that is). I can't wait!!

rhodesman

Corporal
Mar 21, 2017
Maryland
rhodesman.com
Ride
2010 BMW E88 N54 135i
I have to say, I am quite impressed! At first when leaving my house and driving through the neighborhood I was like "eeeh not much different than the Alpina TCU tune" then after about 10 mins once I was on a back road there was an opportunity to pass someone and HOLY HELL!!! I got the Stage 3 tune and was in M mode but Jesus! Went to pass, downshift -> WOT ->*BAM*[shift]->*BAM*[shift], like seriously it was so quick my finger wasn't off the paddle before the shift was completed. I could definitely tell the torque ceiling was raised and my god, the MHD burble with the xHP Stage 3 is just a symphony!!

best part I have to say is how smooth and "normal" it feels once you're in town. It's almost unnoticeable and I could probably let my wife take the car out and she would never know the difference. However, once you get on it, it's so sublime and ready to tackle anything you throw at it!

I'm really happy with this purchase, next stop Deal Gap!!! :D

Reactions: RayBan

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
I'm looking forward to flashing the TCU this weekend with xHP... I think I'll start with Stage 2. In the meantime this amazing YouTube video of a transmission (not 6HP21 sadly) rebuild by Haggerty may be of interest to you.

Reactions: doublespaces