Ad: xHP Flashtool: Official thread - ZF6HP TCU Flash

Cheezy

Lieutenant
Nov 7, 2016
Toledo Ohio
I Had pretty decent idea while driving today. when you're entering a hairpin Corner or coming to a stop, you're on the brakes and you have to row through every shift from 6th to 2nd or 1st. you have to go through every gear. do you think it would be possible to code the trans so that you could hold the gear select all the way forward and it would go to the lowest gear in the RPM range? I.e. manual mode, hold downshift, and it goes from 6th straight to 1st? got the idea from the Ferrari 488
Explained here at 4:21

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2017
Ride
2007 6AT E93 335i
Curious to know would you be offering custom TCU maps for those of us who will be running Propulsive Dynamics or Nizpro transmissions, or custom tunes for those with big single turbos and built motors who wanna rev all the way to 8,000rpm?

Nov 14, 2016
North Wilkesboro
I Had pretty decent idea while driving today. when you're entering a hairpin Corner or coming to a stop, you're on the brakes and you have to row through every shift from 6th to 2nd or 1st. you have to go through every gear. do you think it would be possible to code the trans so that you could hold the gear select all the way forward and it would go to the lowest gear in the RPM range? I.e. manual mode, hold downshift, and it goes from 6th straight to 1st? got the idea from the Ferrari 488
THIS! This would be epic, I feel that this is also doable from what I have seen in the mapping

Reactions: Cheezy

ASquared

Corporal
Nov 6, 2016
Las Vegas
Curious to know would you be offering custom TCU maps for those of us who will be running Propulsive Dynamics or Nizpro transmissions, or custom tunes for those with big single turbos and built motors who wanna rev all the way to 8,000rpm?

Pretty sure I read that propulsive states that you shouldn't use any TCU flash with their built transmissions.

Feb 17, 2017
Ride
2007 6AT E93 335i
Pretty sure I read that propulsive states that you shouldn't use any TCU flash with their built transmissions.

Well that sounds shit then. There's like a dozen or so people who have prepaid for a group buy and no doubt they're all on big power. They'd wanna be able to tune their transmission to their own car after spending up big for it.

Kinda blows my mind how there's no real data on it, track testing or actual specifics about that tranny and so many have jumped on board and prepaid. And now there's a possible four month delay on delivery.

Feb 17, 2017
Ride
2007 6AT E93 335i
Though I wonder know many people will go ahead and use xph with it anyway... would it void their warranty?

bradsm87

Corporal
Dec 15, 2016

If I had a propulsive upgrade on order, I would be very firmly asking them to provide me with a custom xHP tune to go with it. OF COURSE it needs a custom TCU tune. If the friction of the clutches are higher, it needs less shift pressure at low torque output or a lower timespan or both, otherwise the adaptation will go all over the place. Also the stock ongoing shift pressure tables end at 450nm torque. It is FAR from ideal to use the same shift pressure at 450nm as you do at 700nm, regardless of how fancy the transmission hardware is.

Maybe we can get propulsive to pitch in some $ to help the community find the torque limit table and others?

Feb 17, 2017
Ride
2007 6AT E93 335i
If I had a propulsive upgrade on order, I would be very firmly asking them to provide me with a custom xHP tune to go with it. OF COURSE it needs a custom TCU tune. If the friction of the clutches are higher, it needs less shift pressure at low torque output or a lower timespan or both, otherwise the adaptation will go all over the place. Also the stock ongoing shift pressure tables end at 450nm torque. It is FAR from ideal to use the same shift pressure at 450nm as you do at 700nm, regardless of how fancy the transmission hardware is.

Maybe we can get propulsive to pitch in some $ to help the community find the torque limit table and others?

Isn't PD supplying their own TCU calibrations? Maybe they have their calibrations set for longevity and know the limits of their transmission and don't want customers grenading their product with custom flashes.

"
- Each finished unit is fully calibrated on a loaded transmission dyno cell

- Each unit is shipped with a calibration data packet which also includes the adaptation procedure

Propulsive Dynamics, LLC has formed an exclusive partnership with European Transmissions. They will be performing the rebuilds and dyno calibration of all of our units. They are a BMW certified transmission refurbishment facility for BMW USA.

The calibration procedure includes increasing line pressures in each clutch drum, increased flow through the ATF pump, adjustments to slip durations to compensate for the increased friction coefficient and adjustments to the adaptation parameters themselves in order for the system to learn within its new boundaries. We are rating the performance increase at ~30% over the known capacity limit of the stock configuration with increased spectrum of usage and margin of safety."

It does sound like this "calibration" does more than the xhp flash tool can do, but only a 30% increase over torque limits over stock doesn't read too well for the price they're asking.

They're using more friction plates by using thinner ones in the stock basket. I've seen first hand the Nizpro one and they engineered a completely new basket that holds even more plates, which were custom ordered from Exedy at a great expense.

Cheezy

Lieutenant
Nov 7, 2016
Toledo Ohio

@RayBan pretty pretty pretty please?? You'll be my best friend and ill send you holiday cards

RayBan

Corporal
Oct 27, 2016
www.rbttuning.com
@RayBan

Can this be a thing?

@RayBan pretty pretty pretty please?? You'll be my best friend and ill send you holiday cards

I'm aware of that and we're working on this. In general the 335i suffer a little from those extremely long gear ratios. Therefore it's hard to get it right. Likely this feature won't be ready for the first maps, but it will be implemented at a later stage and all maps upgraded for free with it.

AUbeast86

Sergeant
Nov 6, 2016
New Market, AL
Ride
335i e92 6MT
Isn't PD supplying their own TCU calibrations? Maybe they have their calibrations set for longevity and know the limits of their transmission and don't want customers grenading their product with custom flashes.

"
- Each finished unit is fully calibrated on a loaded transmission dyno cell

- Each unit is shipped with a calibration data packet which also includes the adaptation procedure

Propulsive Dynamics, LLC has formed an exclusive partnership with European Transmissions. They will be performing the rebuilds and dyno calibration of all of our units. They are a BMW certified transmission refurbishment facility for BMW USA.

The calibration procedure includes increasing line pressures in each clutch drum, increased flow through the ATF pump, adjustments to slip durations to compensate for the increased friction coefficient and adjustments to the adaptation parameters themselves in order for the system to learn within its new boundaries. We are rating the performance increase at ~30% over the known capacity limit of the stock configuration with increased spectrum of usage and margin of safety."

It does sound like this "calibration" does more than the xhp flash tool can do, but only a 30% increase over torque limits over stock doesn't read too well for the price they're asking.

They're using more friction plates by using thinner ones in the stock basket. I've seen first hand the Nizpro one and they engineered a completely new basket that holds even more plates, which were custom ordered from Exedy at a great expense.

I have been watching this thread and want to clear some things up before it spins out of control with speculation...

You are absolutely right, in the beginning, due to uncertainty, we were considering any flashing of the TCU as something that would void our warranty. We have since begun to reconsider that stance with a few conditions since this will obviously remove the transmission's ability to protect itself (i.e. misfires due to pinging the torque limiters). If you choose to use xHP, it will be your responsibility to keep your power level within our transmission's calibrated power rating.

Through reading out our calibration from the TCU and comparing it to what the xHP flasher has control of, Clemens and I have been able to determine with a high level of certainty that the xHP flasher cannot access the area of the TCU that contains our custom calibration so it should not have any adverse affect on how we have calibrated the transmission.

You are right again in your statement that we have built in a factor of safety and increased spectrum of usage in where we have rated these units. Our rating of 30% increase in torque capacity over the stock configuration correlates to ~715wtq and is, in itself, a bit on the conservative side without taking into consideration the power levels we actually calibrated them at. We hardly think that $4,500 for a built and custom calibrated unit is unreasonable especially when a remanufactured stock unit is over $5,500. As I have stated in other threads, if your power goals exceed the 715wtq power level, our transmission solution is not for you.

We, too, have increased clutch plates throughout the entire transmission but not at the detriment of clutch bind which can and will effect shift quality. Any time you add clamping capacity by changing dynamic coefficients of the friction material or adding clutch plates, a custom calibration is absolutely necessary to compliment and optimize these changes. Again, to reiterate, we use 2 different machines to calibrate our units, one for the valvebody itself and one for the entire transmission as a unit (the loaded trans dyno cell). These machines cost upwards of $150k USD so very few shops have this kind of ability. This is the same calibration method BMW uses.

You are somewhat correct in stating our calibration does more that the xHP flash although what we are doing is on different sides of the fence so to speak. There is really no comparison because we are accessing and changing values in tables in 2 different areas of the TCU. In theory, xHP will enhance our calibration in the sense that you can fine tune exactly how you want it to shift and removing the torque nannies on the DME side will benefit the guys pushing the power levels to the limits of our calibration.

So, in conclusion, Propulsive Dynamics will not automatically void the warranty for using xHP but we also expect our customers to be responsible in how they treat their equipment. If you are reckless and consistently super-exceed the designed power specifications of any system, you are going to have a bad day.

Also a note of significance; we are working with Chris@Motiv and Clemens@xHP to develop a xHP flash that will compliment our custom calibration for those that want to push the limits of our transmissions. Hopefully this will be done before mass production of the clutches and bushings is complete so this topic of concern will be avoided altogether.

I'm happy to address any other questions and/or concerns you guys might have.

Reactions: 08_335i