My DSB E89 Build Thread

billj457

Lurker
Mar 30, 2020
I have had my 2011 Z4 35i 6MT for a few years now so I figured I should post a build thread.. Thanks to the seemingly high concentration of E89's on this site, you all have really helped me with my build through your posts (especially @fmorelli 's spreadsheet!). I was coming from a Stage 2+ E90 335 so the N54 was not new to me, but as you all know, the E89 is a quirky bitch, haha.

PXL_20231122_205851256.jpg

Power mods include BMS DCI, BMS OE inlets, VRSF outlets, CSF intercooler, VRSF charge pipe, TiAL BOV, VRSF downpipes, VTT dual catch cans, Spec stage 2+ clutch and steel LWFW, e9x LPFP sensor, Motiv FF, Walbro 295 fuel pump, typically running an e50 blend, tuned on MHD (OTS for now). Recently dyno'd at 445 whp and 490 tq on a Dynojet (stock turbos)

Suspension and Brake mods include Eibach Prokit springs, H&R front and rear sway bars with Turner front and Garagistic rear endlinks, Rogue Engineering FTABs, RTABs, and Trans Mounts, M3 front control arms, and a Luxon strut bar. Stopping is done by S2NHA front M-Sport brakes (370mm rotors) and 35is rear brakes.

Exterior and audio mods include CF front splitter, sideskirts, trunk lip, roll hoops, and mirror caps, Apex EC7 in anthracite (18x9 front, 18x9.5 rear on 255/275 Michelin PS4S), LCI sidemarkers, black kidneys and a tow hook front license plate mount. Audio consists of a Mobridge DA2, miniDSP C-DSP 8x12, JL Audio XD600/6 powering front Match Up C42-BMWFRT.3's and Tang Band W6-1139SIF's, and a JL Audio XD400/4 powering 2 Earthquake SWS-8x's behind the seats.

I'm hoping to swap out the pro-kit springs for some Ohlins R&T coilovers in the spring. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

pbondar

Sergeant
May 30, 2020
Welcome, not a bad start on the mods but still plenty to go out!-:)

This isa good place to confide in friends and spend some real money!

I'm only up to just over 100 mods on mine..but still going strong..more to do this winter...

wheela

Captain
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
Nice! I especially like the audio mods, don't see a lot of attention on that front here! I've also got a Mobridge DA-G2 Pro and some JL audio amps waiting to go in that will be the heart of my audio system - awesome unitsšŸ‘

billj457

Lurker
Mar 30, 2020
Welcome, not a bad start on the mods but still plenty to go out!-:)

This isa good place to confide in friends and spend some real money!

I'm only up to just over 100 mods on mine..but still going strong..more to do this winter...
There's always more to do, haha
Nice! I especially like the audio mods, don't see a lot of attention on that front here! I've also got a Mobridge DA-G2 Pro and some JL audio amps waiting to go in that will be the heart of my audio system - awesome unitsšŸ‘
Thanks! That DA-G2 Pro looks like the combination of my DA2 and miniDSP, very nice!

billj457

Lurker
Mar 30, 2020
Just an update, I installed my new Ohlins R&T coilovers after a hectic search due to them being discontinued. I paired them with some IRP adjustable top hats. I wanted to dial in as much caster as possible and although I haven't had an alignment, the steer-ahead is WAAAY better than stock. In addition, I was experimenting with EPS coding and found this variable "VARIANTENCODIERUNG_3" in the Advanced section of ProTool, setting this to "e89_var5" after removing servotronic from my VO makes for a very heavy steering feel (which is what I was trying to achieve along with the caster, it's much more like my e90 now) the combination of the two, along with the upgraded lower tension arm bushings makes for an ideal steering feel without drastic measures like swapping out for a hydraulic PS unit.

Screenshot_20240628-155259.png

Unfortunately, right after I installed the Ohlins, my HPFP died back in May (thankfully about a 1/4 mile from my house on my way home from work) but I didn't have any time to work on it until this past weekend. I replaced it with an OEM unit from FCP Euro. I took the opportunity while things were apart to plug my head PCV ports and reinstall my low side OCC. Now that I got the vacuum relief valve adjusted and no longer have a 2D2E code, everything seems good.

Low Side
VTT PCV Delete -> 8AN to 5/16" adapter -> 5/16" hose -> 5/16" to 8AN adapter -> VTT OCC -> Radium PCV (6AN) -> 6AN to 5/16" 45* adapter -> 5/16" hose -> VTT TB fitting

High Side
OEM Flapper -> 10AN hose -> VTT OCC -> 10AN hose -> Rear Inlet heater fitting

PXL_20240628_200018226.jpg

PXL_20240628_200008606.jpg

Apologies for the dirty engine bay, she lives outside and I haven't had a decent opportunity to give her a deep cleaning. Cheers everyone!

Last edited:

billj457

Lurker
Mar 30, 2020
I'm currently working through my tune with Wedge Performance. Next oil change I'll be installing my Mosselman Oil Cooler Tstat and NXM Oil Pressure Sensor. Next coolant flush I'll be installing my F30 coolant reservoir (the VRSF outlets make things a little tight, this is a shallower unit), and a BMS Mickey Mouse port. Next time a coil starts acting up, I have the NXM B58 coil conversion ready to go.

Last edited:

etropic

Lurker
Apr 27, 2023
Good stuff!

I'm interested in the steering coding. I'm assuming there is no problem reversing it?

Also does it affect all drive modes the same ?

billj457

Lurker
Mar 30, 2020
100% reversible since it's just two coding actions, removing servotronic in your VO (which makes your steering feel the same in all driving modes) and updating the "VARIANTENCODIERUNG_3" (which makes the steering much heavier).

Reactions: etropic