MHD Updates - Shift Bog (Tq Lim 2048) Delete & PI Safety

DCook

Sergeant
May 25, 2018
Ride
08 BMW e92
Are you referring to the PI safety or in general? I would think the efforts would better be spent on MHD based NLS and launch control, anti-lag, etc rather than for using the WOTbox.
In general, had the codes start whenever i put it in. Which isn't a surprise. Its just a controlled misfire.

My efforts on mhd wont make it get done quicker. Pestering him wont help lol. When it does come out ill toss the n2mb wotbox. Till then gotta keep this 6466 spinning during shifts somehow.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
In general, had the codes start whenever i put it in. Which isn't a surprise. Its just a controlled misfire.

My efforts on mhd wont make it get done quicker. Pestering him wont help lol. When it does come out ill toss the n2mb wotbox. Till then gotta keep this 6466 spinning during shifts somehow.

Not sure I am misunderstanding you or you misunderstood me. Who is pestering him? You asked for coding to help your Wotbox out. I said that effort would be better spent on the features the wotbox has into MHD, which he's acknowledged is being worked on. I definitely misunderstand what you mean by "my efforts on mhd"? Are you assisting in DME development? I wasn't referring to your efforts, but Jake's. Again, why put any effort into helping a product that will become obsolete when the same feature is available natively?

DCook

Sergeant
May 25, 2018
Ride
08 BMW e92
Not sure I am misunderstanding you or you misunderstood me. Who is pestering him? You asked for coding to help your Wotbox out. I said that effort would be better spent on the features the wotbox has into MHD, which he's acknowledged is being worked on. I definitely misunderstand what you mean by "my efforts on mhd"? Are you assisting in DME development? I wasn't referring to your efforts, but Jake's. Again, why put any effort into helping a product that will become obsolete when the same feature is available natively?
I think i misunderstood you at first then. I thought you meant instead of putting effort into getting wotboxs to work, support jake. I was like of course we do, but i didnt plan on begging for it lol. My fault for misinterpreting it. I wasnt necessarily asking for coding help, i just live with clearing dme cel codes. Meant it more or less as a joke, or if there even was a solution to using it. No harm no foul done.

Reactions: langsbr

berns

Corporal
Jan 15, 2018
Ride
'09 135i
Really stoked that shift bog is gone. It's a real pain in the ass while running time attack. Here is a log from the other night before I updated it, and a log from last night. Shift bog gone entirely. Would really like to avoid buying and messing with a WOTbox just to have a hard limiter. Soft limiter is really shitty to bang into while sideways on corner exit.

1OK9Z1Rl.jpg

0SngaFQl.jpg

Attachments

• 0kCdMBJl.jpg
    0kCdMBJl.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
Currently a known issue with the PI safety and users of the WOTBox or JB4 NLS relay, I should have it fixed today or tomorrow depending on when people can test. In the mean, you can reflash without the option or just not NLS until the update hits.

Only affects WOT and NLS ? Im PI and AT. only flashed for pi safety. Im good or undo and reflash when updated ?

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
@berns the 2048 was a soft limiter sitting on top of the dme's hard limiter. Now that the 2048 is gone, only the hard limiter remains :)

Only affects WOT and NLS ? Im PI and AT. only flashed for pi safety. Im good or undo and reflash when updated ?

You might get a few harmless codes as-is, so best to just update when available.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
That's an awesome benefit for at guys as well I would think having a better rev limit to not unbalance car as bad if accidently hit limiter

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Hey @jyamona , for those of us AT guys who flashed the 2048 delete, do you think a trans adapt reset would be beneficial? I know there's controversy around when to do that as it is but torque limiting seems to be a big part of how BMW wanted the 6AT to act and completely removing it just sounds like it might alter how some things could behave.

I did do a a full trans refresh recently and never reset the adaptations, so between that, my xHP tweaking and this limiter delete I can't help but think I might get some better driving and possibly even life expectancy out of a reset. I feel like the PD guys and other ZF6HP shops would say do it, but the xHP guys seem to avoid avoid resets like the plague

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
Hey @jyamona , for those of us AT guys who flashed the 2048 delete, do you think a trans adapt reset would be beneficial? I know there's controversy around when to do that as it is but torque limiting seems to be a big part of how BMW wanted the 6AT to act and completely removing it just sounds like it might alter how some things could behave.

I did do a a full trans refresh recently and never reset the adaptations, so between that, my xHP tweaking and this limiter delete I can't help but think I might get some better driving and possibly even life expectancy out of a reset. I feel like the PD guys and other ZF6HP shops would say do it, but the xHP guys seem to avoid avoid resets like the plague
Benefit of flashing on AT ? better post shift timing at all ? Does it have any consequences as my understanding is this is for MT only ?

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
No real benefit for AT unless your XHP shift points are set above your DME rev limit table (which would be stupid and able to be fixed in 20 seconds).

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Benefit of flashing on AT ? better post shift timing at all ? Does it have any consequences as my understanding is this is for MT only ?
I actually answered you earlier too. Unless you were only looking for Jake to answer. But to reiterate: I flashed it because in several of my multi-gear pull logs, I've come across tq limit 2048 post-shift. Yes, it's primarily to help the MT guys out with their shitty bog, but I figured I'd rather cut out anything that could interfere with a solid run so between those two things, I flashed it.

AFAIK this Tq limiting isn't what causes post-shift timing pulls, but the only pull I've done since then didn't have any. Although I haven't dealt with them very much for a while now anyway.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
No real benefit for AT unless your XHP shift points are set above your DME rev limit table (which would be stupid and able to be fixed in 20 seconds).
I actually mostly ran across the issue when dropping my S-Mode WOT shift points down in xHP in order to maintain peak boost while testing out acceleration times. At the moment I'm still running an OTS map, but I doubt Wedge sets the DME rev limits for WOT any less than 6300?

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Pretty sure at timing pull after shift has to do with the way the dme retards timing for torque reduction spiking egt and also to lesser extent the way dme reintroduces torque. This is why when iat is higher is worse and it mainly rears its head on multi gear pulls. I could be full of shit but I think I might possibly may be a little right

• Agree
Reactions: Jeffman and SlowE93

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
The limiter is triggered when you hit the rev limit. So on 6mt it's because you don't time your lift properly and the engine speed increases to limiter when the engine is unloaded. On 6at this can happen if the trans is getting tired and not shifting properly into the next gear, or if tuning is off generally. I don't think there's many downsides as the rev limits will still engage.

Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars
The only problem... it works so good that I found my Spec Stage 3+ clutch slipping after a hard shift. It wouldn't grab at all in the next gear, just revved to the moon. Kind of disappointing considering the clutch has between 3-5k miles on it (hard miles, none-the-less). I'm sure it doesn't help that I have the drag radials on the car right now, meaning it's gripping very well. The car would never spin or chirp tire between the 1-2 shift or 2-3 shift and I'm sure it will now once I address the clutch. Other people have reported snapped axles between shifts at high power this morning. At this point, I don't care about the potential damages... the manual transmission has finally been unlocked.

certain you probably already did this many moons ago. but you don't have your CDV in still do you?