MHD Updates - Shift Bog (Tq Lim 2048) Delete & PI Safety

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
This is awesome. Now since the root cause is eliminated, is it worthwhile setting all the old shift bog tables in the bin back to stock?

Only one cause is eliminated here- albeit a major one. Don't quit your day job or bet the house quite yet. For those that have issues with this bog it will be very helpful, for those that have learned to drive around it you may not notice much.

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
So running Jb4, custom back end flash, R8 coils PI, etc. I can still be a part of the ignition cut if misfire ? I use MHD to load my flash(es) and run my R8 coils.
Or is this just a flex fuel thing ????

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
So running Jb4, custom back end flash, R8 coils PI, etc. I can still be a part of the ignition cut if misfire ? I use MHD to load my flash(es) and run my R8 coils.
Or is this just a flex fuel thing ????

Yes as long as you loaded your back end flash via MHD, just reload with their latest update per Jake's directions, and you're good to go! These latest round of changes leave the BB flashers a bit out in the cold so may be time to upgrade if using BB. :)

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
This is awesome. Now since the root cause is eliminated, is it worthwhile setting all the old shift bog tables in the bin back to stock?

I would leave them, they still reduce the time to fuel-cut in some other scenarios and don't hurt :)

As Terry said, just check the checkbox and reflash your map. Good to go!

These latest round of changes leave the BB flashers a bit out in the cold so may be time to upgrade if using BB.

There's a lot more coming too!

suspenceful

10 Second Club
Aug 1, 2017
Ride
2015 M3, 2008 135i, 2009 335i
I've tried a handful of suggested "shift bog fixes", but none of them really worked. So, when this was announced, I didn't have high expectations. I loaded it up yesterday and tried it on my way to work this morning. Well, it works! I had the biggest shit-eating grin on my face. The car actually responds to fast shifts and feels like it should.

The only problem... it works so good that I found my Spec Stage 3+ clutch slipping after a hard shift. It wouldn't grab at all in the next gear, just revved to the moon. Kind of disappointing considering the clutch has between 3-5k miles on it (hard miles, none-the-less). I'm sure it doesn't help that I have the drag radials on the car right now, meaning it's gripping very well. The car would never spin or chirp tire between the 1-2 shift or 2-3 shift and I'm sure it will now once I address the clutch. Other people have reported snapped axles between shifts at high power this morning. At this point, I don't care about the potential damages... the manual transmission has finally been unlocked.

berns

Corporal
Jan 15, 2018
Ride
'09 135i
Glad it's working for you, I hope your videos are less painful to watch in the future :)

The Spec 3+ has a 670tq capacity. You've exceeded that margin. Your clutches tq capacity should be a good chunk higher than your actual numbers. Get a twin disk and some axles, and call it a day.

• Angry
Reactions: LuiG

suspenceful

10 Second Club
Aug 1, 2017
Ride
Glad it's working for you, I hope your videos are less painful to watch in the future :)

The Spec 3+ has a 670tq capacity. You've exceeded that margin. Your clutches tq capacity should be a good chunk higher than your actual numbers. Get a twin disk and some axles, and call it a day.

Haha, right! It's hard to really feel the bog in the videos, it just looks like slow shifts.

But yeah, I think a Motiv twin disc, axles, an LSD with a lockdown and some solid bushings are in my future.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Haha, right! It's hard to really feel the bog in the videos, it just looks like slow shifts.

But yeah, I think a Motiv twin disc, axles, an LSD with a lockdown and some solid bushings are in my future.

You don't already have a diff lockdown? I wouldve thought you're car would be all over the road without one. Even just FBO my car was very rear end "wiggly" before I got the diff lockdown.

Also, the Motiv twin disc is a Spec isn't it? I know Martymil has had a bit of a time with Spec on his. You might consider the new Australian mfr that has a twin disc XClutch. Looks pretty nice.

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
Hey guys, make sure to grab the latest MHD update! FlexFuel is "officially" official, and bringing with it two other of my long time coming fixes.

1. Shift bog delete - Tq Lim 2048 is gone for good. JB4 crowd, plug you clutch wires back in :laughing:
2. PI Safety - a cylinder's ignition coil is now cut whenever it's injector is (misfire, tq control, too much knock, fuel cut, etc). ALL PI users should check this box, and it is especially important for 6MT PI users with shift bog delete.

Enjoy!

p.s. I feel bad for all the 6MT axles. Now go and break some records.
Does coil cut do anything as far as hitting rev limiter ? Or for those that drift or burnouts at the track hitting rev limiter type situations ?
I know mt users have the dreaded bog issue, would this do anything for AT though to help timing recover post shift ?

berns

Corporal
Jan 15, 2018
Ride
'09 135i
Does coil cut do anything as far as hitting rev limiter ? Or for those that drift or burnouts at the track hitting rev limiter type situations ?
I know mt users have the dreaded bog issue, would this do anything for AT though to help timing recover post shift ?

The logic sounds like it's there to introduce a hard limiter, two-step, etc... And I'm sure that's coming. But it sounds like this coil cut is only triggered in other scenarios for safety, not just at the limiter for fun.

suspenceful

10 Second Club
Aug 1, 2017
Ride
You don't already have a diff lockdown? I wouldve thought you're car would be all over the road without one. Even just FBO my car was very rear end "wiggly" before I got the diff lockdown.

Also, the Motiv twin disc is a Spec isn't it? I know Martymil has had a bit of a time with Spec on his. You might consider the new Australian mfr that has a twin disc XClutch. Looks pretty nice.

Nope - no lockdown. I used to have wheel hop on stock turbos and street tires, but haven't had any with the radials yet. It has always been squirelly though. I will get the whole 9 yards this winter...

I'm debating on filming a first reaction video to the update while i drive. I might cry out of happiness

Do it! I wanted to, but was too rushed and had no way to film while driving by myself. You would've seen me almost cry because it was so awesome, but crappy at the same time because my clutch has never slipped until now.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Like the other reply said, the coil cut appears to just work in cohesion with PI right now. Jake has stated he's already working on other useful things that require coil cutting though, so I can only assume 2-step/LC is right around the corner beta-wise.

The 2048 tq limit is (apparently) mostly targeted at manual users, but it's shown up in my logs at time on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts as an AT when I was messing around with WOT shift points, so personally I flashed it this morning. Haven't given it the full test yet but I'm excited to.

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
OK so went to reflash to enable the 2048 tq limit delete when I got home this evening, and the only option I'm getting is to do a long flash (20m). Anyone know what's up with that?

drunkenup

Lurker
Dec 16, 2017
Ride
135i, 330i
OK so went to reflash to enable the 2048 tq limit delete when I got home this evening, and the only option I'm getting is to do a long flash (20m). Anyone know what's up with that?
I had to do the same. Good thing I decided to test it tonight and not before work in the morning.

My stock turbo car easily chirps 3-4 now, though I wasn't shifting quite as quickly as I could, and I'm not sure if it wasn't able to before.

I've got a log too if anyone wants to take a peek

Reactions: Y_lae1