My N54 FBO garage build (built motor at 113k)

spoolzone

Lurker
Nov 13, 2018
Ride
07' e92 335i
I have been slacking getting around to posting on this forum, so let me give a quick synopsis of my N54 experience thus far.

Almost a year and a half ago I finally found the e92 335i I had been relentlessly searching for. It was in Ga (I live in Fl), but that didn't matter to me. 6spd MT black with coral red interior sounded too good to be true. 30 minutes from leaving the dealership I had already experienced my first taste of N54 life. Coolant expansion tank spewing antifreeze from the brittle plastic seam along the side (poor design IMO). A little JB weld and coolant got me back to Fl where my FBO journey began. After MHD, new spark plugs, Catless DP,s I was experiencing some misfiring and classic 30FF which lead us to a failed compression test (SHOULD ALWAYS DO THIS FIRST)...

Anyways, DIY style it was. Here my the footage and some knowledge I've gained through my research and experiences so far.
Next is selecting upgraded turbos, a clutch and index 12 injectors

IG/YouTube @spoolzone

- N54 ENGINE DISASSEMBLY (113k miles) Should have checked compression first!
- COST TO REBUILD MY N54 ENGINE!? Save $1000 on your build + BMW e92 battery removal
- MY BUILT BMW N54 ENGINE IS FINALLY HERE! + Adams Polishes Buttery Wax review
- M3 MAIN STUDS IN MY N54?
- CP pistons for my N54 build! BMW charges $700 for OEM rings?!
-
N54 build - dream or nightmare ?

IG edit.jpg

colo_evo

Corporal
Jun 6, 2017
Ride
E90 335i MT
I have many questions, but can you explain why you went with an upgraded wrist pins but kept oem rods? Seems backwards.

Reactions: spoolzone

335is02

Corporal
Mar 10, 2018
Ride
2012 BMW 335is
I have been slacking getting around to posting on this forum, so let me give a quick synopsis of my N54 experience thus far.

Almost a year and a half ago I finally found the e92 335i I had been relentlessly searching for. It was in Ga (I live in Fl), but that didn't matter to me. 6spd MT black with coral red interior sounded too good to be true. 30 minutes from leaving the dealership I had already experienced my first taste of N54 life. Coolant expansion tank spewing antifreeze from the brittle plastic seam along the side (poor design IMO). A little JB weld and coolant got me back to Fl where my FBO journey began. After MHD, new spark plugs, Catless DP,s I was experiencing some misfiring and classic 30FF which lead us to a failed compression test (SHOULD ALWAYS DO THIS FIRST)...

Anyways, DIY style it was. Here my the footage and some knowledge I've gained through my research and experiences so far.
Next is selecting upgraded turbos, a clutch and index 12 injectors

IG/YouTube @spoolzone

- N54 ENGINE DISASSEMBLY (113k miles) Should have checked compression first!
- COST TO REBUILD MY N54 ENGINE!? Save $1000 on your build + BMW e92 battery removal
- MY BUILT BMW N54 ENGINE IS FINALLY HERE! + Adams Polishes Buttery Wax review
- M3 MAIN STUDS IN MY N54?
- CP pistons for my N54 build! BMW charges $700 for OEM rings?!
-
N54 build - dream or nightmare ?

View attachment 22607
I have a Spec twin disk for sale if interested.

spoolzone

Lurker
Nov 13, 2018
Ride
07' e92 335i
I have many questions, but can you explain why you went with an upgraded wrist pins but kept oem rods? Seems backwards.
The pins were only $150 for all of them loll rods were $1600 + I didn't want to spend at the time. Plus they're forged from factory and the engine was in good shape still.

What other questions do you have?

Reactions: Torgus

Hyab00sta

Lurker
Nov 19, 2018
Ride
2009 335XI
guessing you are going to tune the spool and tq down because on upgraded twins the rods are the first thing to go from the quick spool and down low tq.