MSD80/81 CANbus Boost

samuria

Nov 30, 2021
Has anyone successfully decoded boost pressure from OBD canbus? I have tried reverse engineering a few apps that log boost pressure, but the later versions of the apps have some level of obfuscation.

I have not tried tapping into PT-CAN yet, just waiting for an Arduino shield to arrive before splicing a canbus wire. But getting boost from OBD should be possible as these dongle are able to do it somehow - albeit may be a little slower.

I have already checked out the loopybunny website, as well as a few canbus projects related to the E9X platform.

Thanks

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
good question, i havent found anything when i first looked at it, this would be helpful feeding into racechrono
actually i am working on something like this recently

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
It's not broadcast from the DME. If you wanted to read boost then you would have to set up a request over KWP to the DME (you can access it by requesting the common identifier). That is how COBB/MHD handles it for their logging, but rather than common identifier they specify the exact RAM address because they are bulk reading many parameters at once.

• Informative
Reactions: AzNdevil

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
It's not broadcast from the DME. If you wanted to read boost then you would have to set up a request over KWP to the DME (you can access it by requesting the common identifier). That is how COBB/MHD handles it for their logging, but rather than common identifier they specify the exact RAM address because they are bulk reading many parameters at once.

thats what i was afriad of... i want to keep it simple and stupid

thanks anyways though, saves me a lot of time trying to figure it out

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
If there is a large enough demand for it, we could add an additional 100ms broadcast of 4/6/8 parameters (depending on resolution needed) for dash displays, configurable from a preset list of possible ram vars.

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
If there is a large enough demand for it, we could add an additional 100ms broadcast of 4/6/8 parameters (depending on resolution needed) for dash displays, configurable from a preset list of possible ram vars.

thanks for your reply!
however.... i doubt that many people care since this is only useful for data loggers and as these cars cant survive a 30 min track session without extensive cooling mods, not many people track them in the first place :(

besides, most that care about track driving/performance have moved on to other newer platforms... less hassle and certainly less work