Starting a single turbo 335i build. Advices and ideas are welcome.

Boorda

Corporal
Jul 15, 2018
Royse City, TX
futemire.com
Ride
328xi, 335xi M Sport
Awe man, sorry to hear, life's got a way of dictating plans sometimes doesn't it!
Hope your health situation improves soon, and congrats on the new house.
I remember first buying my place, exciting and a lot of new projects to take on.

Anyway, get well and I'll keep an eye out for updates after winter. ;)

• Agree
Reactions: wheela

odesh

Private
Mar 6, 2023
Awe man, sorry to hear, life's got a way of dictating plans sometimes doesn't it!
Hope your health situation improves soon, and congrats on the new house.
I remember first buying my place, exciting and a lot of new projects to take on.

Anyway, get well and I'll keep an eye out for updates after winter. ;)
Thanks a lot. You brought up the EKP cooling on your previous post. Do you happen to know a guide for that kind of mod since it sounds like I need to do internal changes for the EKP unit? That sounds like something I could do without actually laying under the car, which is out of the questions atm :tearsofjoy:. On the pictures it looks like, that you only took a blower style fan out of a laptop and attached it to the unit. Doesn't seem too hard and if it helps I'm willing to mod mine as well👍

Also little side question: What is the most common boost controlling that tuners use these days. I see there are 3 camps, jb4, external ones like GFB, boostbox/reflex/ecu since MHD brought the boost controlling as an option on one of their updates, even without the boostbox. I know that it really depends on the tuner, but I kinda want to know how much of money I need to spend on that part and what would be the easiest route without going trough tuning hell.

Boorda

Corporal
Jul 15, 2018
Royse City, TX
futemire.com
Ride
328xi, 335xi M Sport
Do you happen to know a guide for that kind of mod since it sounds like I need to do internal changes for the EKP unit?
I do not, it's actually quite simple though. For the case mod, all I did was pop the cover off, cut a rectangular slot with a Dremel for the laptop fan to fit snug into and then used plastic epoxy to "weld" the two together. I also opted to drill a tiny hole to pop the wires through grounding the fan to the chassis via one of the screws holding the pc board down and soldiering the positive lead to the backside of the connector pin for the positive wire going to the fuel pump. This ensures the fan comes on only when the pump does.

That sounds like something I could do without actually laying under the car, which is out of the questions atm :tearsofjoy:
Yes, but depending on if you have fold down seats or not the process is a little more involved. I have fold down seats so I can easily remove the rear passenger bolster to access the module, but from what I understand it may be more of a PITA to remove the rear seat back if you don't have the fold down option. Either case the module is behind the rear passenger seat bolster about midway up.

What is the most common boost controlling that tuners use these days. I see there are 3 camps, jb4, external ones like GFB, boostbox/reflex/ecu since MHD brought the boost controlling as an option on one of their updates, even without the boostbox. I know that it really depends on the tuner, but I kinda want to know how much of money I need to spend on that part and what would be the easiest route without going trough tuning hell.
Yeah, that's a tough one, and honestly, I'm not as familiar with the newer options and I've been running JB4 and MHD since 2018ish. Before I was running GFB but that was a diverter valve replacement until I got the big turbo, then things got more complicated with an external wastegate, blow off valve and a 3 port MAC valve (replaces boost solenoid valve).

Really boils down to what you end goal is, I'd say I easily have $1200 in MHD, xHP, JB4, JB4 PI, and the JB4 FSB (For meth), but now it looks like Reflex may do all that and then some. Personally, if I had it to do all over again, I'd go with Reflex, but I'm curious to hear someone's input who has experience with the unit.

odesh

Private
Mar 6, 2023
I do not, it's actually quite simple though. For the case mod, all I did was pop the cover off, cut a rectangular slot with a Dremel for the laptop fan to fit snug into and then used plastic epoxy to "weld" the two together. I also opted to drill a tiny hole to pop the wires through grounding the fan to the chassis via one of the screws holding the pc board down and soldiering the positive lead to the backside of the connector pin for the positive wire going to the fuel pump. This ensures the fan comes on only when the pump does.

Yes, but depending on if you have fold down seats or not the process is a little more involved. I have fold down seats so I can easily remove the rear passenger bolster to access the module, but from what I understand it may be more of a PITA to remove the rear seat back if you don't have the fold down option. Either case the module is behind the rear passenger seat bolster about midway up.

Yeah, that's a tough one, and honestly, I'm not as familiar with the newer options and I've been running JB4 and MHD since 2018ish. Before I was running GFB but that was a diverter valve replacement until I got the big turbo, then things got more complicated with an external wastegate, blow off valve and a 3 port MAC valve (replaces boost solenoid valve).

Really boils down to what you end goal is, I'd say I easily have $1200 in MHD, xHP, JB4, JB4 PI, and the JB4 FSB (For meth), but now it looks like Reflex may do all that and then some. Personally, if I had it to do all over again, I'd go with Reflex, but I'm curious to hear someone's input who has experience with the unit.
The mod seems pretty easy. Looked trough couple of forum posts about attaching the fan on the EKP and it should be easy. I will buy secondary EKP since they literally cost 10 dollars here and I can do the mod without being scared of messing up a working EKP unit in my car. My understanding is that my car has EKP2, so might try to upgrade it to 3. Also regarding physically removing and installing the EKP, I have winter package on my car so it should be just matter of pulling one of the panels out of the car. Finally something helpful from folding backseats👍

Also I probably try to go with DME only control, but if it's not possible, then I need to take another road. We will see when the time comes.

Reactions: Boorda

odesh

Private
Mar 6, 2023
Little update!

I just bought Pulsar 6466 from guy on facebook market for the half of the price. He had bought it for his M50 project and ran out of steam around 750whp. 2 dyno sessions, so the turbo is basically new!
IMG_20231122_183723.jpg
IMG_20231122_183744.jpg

Not the turbo that I originally wanted, but hey, it was a deal and it fits the build.

I'm also going to buy the fitting Speedtech kit on black friday, since they have sale.

odesh

Private
Mar 6, 2023
The kit has arrived!

Jeff shipped the kit 2 days after the order and it's already in Finland. Ended up using Jetcarrier.com for shipping and it was super fast and cheap compared to any other service I could find. If any folks on Europe are interested, they ship at least to Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg and Germany.

Can't wait for summer when I get to install the whole thing!

1703102169545.png

odesh

Private
Mar 6, 2023
Well, finally had some spare time from work and other stuff and managed to mangle up this creation. I will build it tomorrow after work when I have aluminium rivets. It has walbros 535 with factory ventori system. Should be good enough for my use. The second hand bucket, the new pump and some hardware ran me for 230€. Not bad. The local "BMW tuning" shop would have taken 700€ for the same pump fitted in the factory bucket. Obviously my version is more DYI looking, but will do it's thing just fine.

IMG_20240318_204108.jpg
Also got the Pulsars 45mm wastegate. It was in back order for couple months, but it's finally here and it's looking mighty good. Will prob use the factory installed spring that was spot on 15psi when I tested it.

I also messaged couple of tuners and I have 2 candidates that have been most responding and most knowledge ones (at least it feels that way). CD919 and David Shoup. Will prob go with one of them.