MHD update v1.92

MoistNapkin

Corporal
May 25, 2019
Ride
08 135i
Sorry if this is old. The video came out last month. It's a pwm control module that runs the fan like a smart fan run off the pt-can. You can set a specific coolant temp, and the module will target that setting. Pretty nifty.. also has a a "max cool" mode.

Start at 5:06 since that's information straight from the makers mouth.

Last edited:

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
The issue is if the ecu sees something else controlling the fan and the fan does not do what the ecu is telling it to do, it will chuck a wobbly.

Thats good for an old school car or something that does not control the fan apart from a relay on/off type setup.

MoistNapkin

Corporal
May 25, 2019
Ride
08 135i
I think he (the dude on the right.) took that all into consideration in his design, and I bet that was probably the easy part. It's very likely that the designer has a higher degree of knowledge in this field than both of us combined. 🥴 You have the option of having an on/off switch if you'd like (always have.) The dme right now simply reads the temp, and then turns the fan on full blast until target temp is reached just like a toggle switch acts.
This eliminates the on/off factor, and allows the user to set their preferred target. This is n54 specific too. I'll be Interested in hearing what others think.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
The ecu will monitor the fan speed and if its not doing what it tells it to do it will throw an error code.

Seen it first hand when the fan failed on my 135

MoistNapkin

Corporal
May 25, 2019
Ride
08 135i
The ecu will monitor the fan speed and if its not doing what it tells it to do it will throw an error code.

Seen it first hand when the fan failed on my 135

Start at 5:06 and listen to the gentleman on the right. The annoying dude is.. well.. annoying! Lol.
I will bet you cash money that's all been accounted for with his module and it doesn't throw a code. I only say that because no one (with logic) would release a product that instantly throws a code directly after install. Of course you get a code by simply trying to up the fan speed, but that's potentially because you don't have a coded module in for your dme.

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
Start at 5:06 and listen to the gentleman on the right. The annoying dude is.. well.. annoying! Lol.
I will bet you cash money that's all been accounted for with his module and it doesn't throw a code. I only say that because no one (with logic) would release a product that instantly throws a code directly after install. Of course you get a code by simply trying to up the fan speed, but that's potentially because you don't have a coded module in for your dme.
Are you the gentleman on the right ? Or the annoying guy ?
Or neither ?
No offense, just a question 👀

MoistNapkin

Corporal
May 25, 2019
Ride
08 135i
Just ran across it a few day ago, not sure who they are.
What's your opinion on it now that you've watched it?

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
I'm not convinced there is anything that monitors the speed of the fan or knows that the fan is not doing what the DME tells it to. The wire harness just doesn't support that.

Only thing I can think of would be current sensor for the power supply?

• Informative
Reactions: aus335iguy

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
We can aleady control everything through the dme all that's needed is an override for max fan speed during staging

You could always buy the controller and try it

MoistNapkin

Corporal
May 25, 2019
Ride
08 135i
Nope, just wanted to throw it into the mix. You seem to be convinced it'll just throw codes based off a common design using a relay, which if you watched the video the module doesn't. This has the exact "staging" mode as you describe too. I'm not endorsing the product, just trying to clarify that it doesn't work as you may have initially thought.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
All I'm saying is you can try it, when my fan failed it threw codes that what tends to make me believe it will.

The fan was spinning erratically, I cant remember the code but.

It was going up and down like a yo yo and then stopped but it threw the codes as it was going berserk

MoistNapkin

Corporal
May 25, 2019
Ride
08 135i
It's just another option. I'm certainly not buying it for that exact reason, I use mhd. It may be useful to those that don't use MHD however. (Which is no one practically)

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
@jyamona any chance you can port over the tables for ikmos to stop the overdrive pumps from rattling on a cold start under 104f

We are heading into winter and it takes quite a lot longer for our cars to reach 104f so the pump feels like its going to shake it self to bits.

In summer it doesn't last long a mere few seconds but in winter it can last up to a few minutes and sounds horrible.

Don't know if it's causing damage to the hpfp valve operating so hard

Reactions: DamnDatsun
Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
Holy S*** That video is hard to watch. Why not just run a fan with a temp controlled switch like we do? Get rid of the fan codes in the toggles menu, and away you go. We got rid of all the heavy stock fan, and shrouding, and run a lightweight 14" fan, and custom coolant hose routing with no thermostat, etc. Car warms up quickly and stays exactly where we want it temp wise. Without hoses running all over the place. People seem to like to jump through hoops to do something that is simple. 🤷‍♂️