MHD - Coolant Target Flash: Sport, Track

Danksies

Corporal
Nov 2, 2016
NoVA
Any results?

Did a complete coolant flush back in like nov. My temps would still run commonly to 250. All I had was a CP, DV's, and MHD stage 1. After MHD did the update and I flashed to "Sport" cooling, my temps dont go past 240 unless its like 100 degrees out and I'm gunning it everywhere for 45 minutes

Jsherry20

Sergeant
Dec 21, 2016
Did a complete coolant flush back in like nov. My temps would still run commonly to 250. All I had was a CP, DV's, and MHD stage 1. After MHD did the update and I flashed to "Sport" cooling, my temps dont go past 240 unless its like 100 degrees out and I'm gunning it everywhere for 45 minutes
Pretty good to hear, I might consider this option when I replace my pump.

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York
I am using track options on my N55. Ambient thresholds dictate when the cooling target changes. in 90f+ weather the car will run the coolant at 180f. Oil will be at 210f for the most part, but will still rise to 240-250 after a few pulls. Oil does not exchange heat as efficiently as coolant so the heat builds over time. Coolant rises across pulls too, but coolant can get back down to 180f target within a minute or so of cruising whereas oil takes 10x the time to cool back down.

I can see how reducing oil temps will increase friction and reduce mpg, but there is no way it's noticeable unless you do all highway mileage. Driving around town in traffic will still cause oil temps to still sit around 230-240 (or as high as 240-250 when mashing the gas) even when coolant is running at 180f.

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: Lofuel and Twinz

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I flashed sport mode. Have not even been logging coolant temps so I cant give any input other than it doesn't make the pump noticeably louder. Then again lots of things are different on my car and I've lost a sense for what 'normal' feels like anymore.

DaZuc

Private
Nov 7, 2016
Rockland, NY
I daily commute a 120miles round trip all highway, make 29mpg according to OBC.
N54xi on sport jb4 bef pump..

I haven't notice any change in MPG...
Oil temp is steady around ~ 230F. (no oil cooler) all highway no WOT.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Can someone confirm that its possible to have two targets in the DME ? One for normal and one for sport mode?

all4bspinnin

Corporal
Jun 12, 2017
Ride
135i TT
Two locals have tried adjusting the settings. Both times, it killed their water pumps. I don't touch the settings anymore.

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
Two locals have tried adjusting the settings. Both times, it killed their water pumps. I don't touch the settings anymore.

Hmm, I've been using settings similar to 'sport' since tables were published, transitioned to the sport slider when I saw the settings nearly matched what I liked to use. That was a while back now, no issues. I did raise the fan duty cycle slightly at higher temps?

all4bspinnin

Corporal
Jun 12, 2017
Ride
135i TT
that was using the recommended settings in mhd. I thought it was odd since I've heard of people using these tables occasionally without issue. Could have been a just a fluke... not sure. Either way, I leave it up to the owner of the car to use at their own risk

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
that was using the recommended settings in mhd. I thought it was odd since I've heard of people using these tables occasionally without issue. Could have been a just a fluke... not sure. Either way, I leave it up to the owner of the car to use at their own risk

I've been using the MHD Sport setting and no issues. But I don't drive my car since its in a constant state of dissection

• Funny
Reactions: fmorelli

Sbrach

Corporal
Oct 2, 2017
Ride
N55 DCT E82
I've been using the sport setting on the slider since I bought the car but have since transitioned to custom settings since installing a CSF rad. It's starting to warm up here so we'll see how it goes.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I've been using the sport setting on the slider since I bought the car but have since transitioned to custom settings since installing a CSF rad. It's starting to warm up here so we'll see how it goes.

I have a CSF also, what have you been using for the custom settings, and why not keep the sport setting?

Sbrach

Corporal
Oct 2, 2017
Ride
N55 DCT E82
I don't think there is anything wrong with the MHD settings, I just don't know what the targets are. Keeping the flash time option stock and editing it in my bin means I know what the targets are and can see how the cooling system is performing against those targets.

My Current targets. Note: I don't care about fuel economy

cooling targets.PNG

PPK

PPK Cooling Targets.PNG

• Informative
Reactions: doublespaces