Manual 135i Runs a 10 Second 1/4 Mile Pass @ 136mph!

suspenceful

10 Second Club
Aug 1, 2017
Ride
2015 M3, 2008 135i, 2009 335i
I finally made it to the 10 second club! One of four(?) N54-powered vehicles in the 10's with a manual transmission.

Follow me on Instagram: https://instagram.com/jakespence
Subscribe on YouTube: https://youtube.com/jakespence135

Stock motor
Stock transmission
Stock differential
Stock axles

2008 BMW 135i 6-speed Manual
Doc Race single turbo 6266
JB4 map 7 (28psi)
MHD backend flash (Wedge)
Doc Race intake manifold w/ port injection (72lb)
Precision Raceworks stage 3+ LPFP
VRSF 7.5" race intercooler
Custom 3" exhaust
Precision Raceworks ignition coils
NGK 97506 @ 0.022"
Pump E85

2560 DA
Log:
View graph 28554

If you want to watch the whole process and how I eventually ran the 10 sec pass, watch the video below. Otherwise if you just care about the results, slip is below :)

Gonna work on chopping that 60ft down and improve shifts to knock it down even further.

48134175957_2d75ae400c_b.jpg

Dragy slip from the same run:

48138258806_980a009f79_b.jpg

48134132186_08b429875c_b.jpg

40717626453_f252bbe194_b.jpg

46767974165_921194fec9_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Way to go ... and always enjoy your post mix. So was hook up the big issue to topple ... or ...?

Filippo

suspenceful

10 Second Club
Aug 1, 2017
Ride
Specs on your rear tires? Congrats. Know you've been chasing this for some time now.

Thanks man! Rears are 275/40/17 Mickey Thompson ET Street R.

Nice!

Any wheel hop? Stock diff and subframe bushings?

Only time I got wheel hop was during the burnouts (hence the weak burnouts). Stock diff and subframe bushings with 120k miles. Stock axles as well, with no diff lockdown kit.

Way to go ... and always enjoy your post mix. So was hook up the big issue to topple ... or ...?

Filippo

Thanks Filippo! Yes, traction + a good launch was the issue. As you can see, I finally got 100% traction for the 10 second pass, but it lacked an aggressive launch. The 1.8 60ft leaves definite room for improvement.

Great driving! If you don't mind sharing, what was your launch technique? Was NLS or 2 step used?

Thanks! I'd suggest watching the video I included in the original post. It explained in detail my different launching and shifting techniques. I started the day trying to use 2 step and NLS, but stopped by the end of the day because they weren't working properly. The 2 step would rev up and hit the RPM I set it to, but then quickly fall. Not consistent at all. The NLS was good at holding boost between shifts, but it had a delay. Final results were achieve without either, just free revved the car and slipped the clutch like a mofo, then shifted as fast as I could the rest of the way.

DCook

Sergeant
May 25, 2018
Ride
08 BMW e92
The NLS was good at holding boost between shifts, but it had a delay.
Did you go through and lower your shift millisecond in the wotbox? I had to slowly lower mine as i was too quick on shifts, if not itll still delay even if the clutch is out and you're ready to go. Wasnt sure if you knew or not!

noorj

Corporal
Jul 12, 2017
Detroit, MI
Ride
'07 E90 335i
Thanks! I'd suggest watching the video I included in the original post. It explained in detail my different launching and shifting techniques. I started the day trying to use 2 step and NLS, but stopped by the end of the day because they weren't working properly. The 2 step would rev up and hit the RPM I set it to, but then quickly fall. Not consistent at all. The NLS was good at holding boost between shifts, but it had a delay. Final results were achieve without either, just free revved the car and slipped the clutch like a mofo, then shifted as fast as I could the rest of the way.

Will do for sure! I checked out the log and it looks good, just didn't see the launch in there. I also have the ET street R's but had a hell of a time getting out of the hole, I guess I'm still getting used to how to slip the twin disk enough.

suspenceful

10 Second Club
Aug 1, 2017
Ride
Did you go through and lower your shift millisecond in the wotbox? I had to slowly lower mine as i was too quick on shifts, if not itll still delay even if the clutch is out and you're ready to go. Wasnt sure if you knew or not!

I'm aware of that, but don't have the WOTBox. I am using the JB4 2-step/NLS relay, which doesn't allow for any adjustment :(

• Sad
Reactions: DCook

suspenceful

10 Second Club
Aug 1, 2017
Ride
Will do for sure! I checked out the log and it looks good, just didn't see the launch in there. I also have the ET street R's but had a hell of a time getting out of the hole, I guess I'm still getting used to how to slip the twin disk enough.

Yeah, I had my auto-logging turned on so I don't think it started capturing until I launched. It took me all day to finally get a sub 2.0 second 60ft, just keep working at it.

SJ_1989

Sergeant
Aug 7, 2018
Illinoisssss
Ride
2008 E90 335i
Nice video. Line lock and a set of bias ply's will help you :cool:

Rule of thumb is every tenth off the 60' is two-tenths in the quarter and every 100 lb reduction is a tenth in the quarter.

Reactions: suspenceful

rev210

Corporal
Feb 24, 2019
Ride
335i - 08 Coupe .
Any weight reduction ? Makes some power ,good run . The drag radials arent able to do the business without that rear suspension so mph is mid /low 10s waiting for you. a fast car you have there.

Last edited:

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
Great job man! Though I do think the car would have ran better MHD only :) Boost looks a bit sloppy in the log and you can currently NLS with MHD as-is using the shift bog fix and PI safety (coil cut). Albeit, this doesn't have timing retard / matched RPM drop yet so it's not marketed as "true" NLS.

noorj

Corporal
Jul 12, 2017
Detroit, MI
Ride
'07 E90 335i
you can currently NLS with MHD as-is using the shift bog fix and PI safety (coil cut). Albeit, this doesn't have timing retard / matched RPM drop yet so it's not marketed as "true" NLS.

I was actually shown this in one of the FB groups, and have tried it with good success lately (60-130 brought down by more than 0.5s, ~6.3s) but I do get a decent amount of timing corrections when doing so. Any advise on how to improve those? They only come on the fuel reinstatement after the NLS

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
I was actually shown this in one of the FB groups, and have tried it with good success lately (60-130 brought down by more than 0.5s, ~6.3s) but I do get a decent amount of timing corrections when doing so. Any advise on how to improve those? They only come on the fuel reinstatement after the NLS

Right now a few options would be to add more ethanol or tweak the knock factors in that area. Alternative future options will be to adjust the knock noise averaging constant for transient conditions or when the MHD NLS code is complete it'll have blending factors to ramp the timing back at a user tuneable rate

noorj

Corporal
Jul 12, 2017
Detroit, MI
Ride
'07 E90 335i
Nice! That'll be some great code to translate directly into faster n54's. @suspenceful I would definitely recommend trying an NLS via the MHD method (check boxes, no JB4 relay). With my lazy journal bearing and mediocre shift speed I'm still seeing shift speeds around 350ms and hold >24psi between shifts

edit- I do have my limiter turned down slightly to avoid crazy overshoot of the limiter when it hits it NLS'ing

suspenceful

10 Second Club
Aug 1, 2017
Ride
Congrats! I added you to the 10 Second list and also gave you the title.

Thanks! Now I just have to decide between the 700HP club and the 10sec club... hmm :openmouth:

Nice video. Line lock and a set of bias ply's will help you :cool:

Rule of thumb is every tenth off the 60' is two-tenths in the quarter and every 100 lb reduction is a tenth in the quarter.

Right on! I've been debating adding a line lock. I struggled in the burnout box. It either wheel hopped, bogged or hooked. I'm also wondering if 26x8.5x17 bias plys will fit and offer enough traction.

Any weight reduction ? Makes some power ,good run . The drag radials arent able to do the business without that rear suspension so mph is mid /low 10s waiting for you. a fast car you have there.

I just removed the back seats and interior trunk paneling. Maybe 80-100lbs there, but I know I've added a lot of weight with the DR intake manifold and VRSF race intercooler. Once I get that 60ft and 1/8 mile down, I should be able to do mid/low 10s like you said.

Great job man! Though I do think the car would have ran better MHD only :) Boost looks a bit sloppy in the log and you can currently NLS with MHD as-is using the shift bog fix and PI safety (coil cut). Albeit, this doesn't have timing retard / matched RPM drop yet so it's not marketed as "true" NLS.

Thanks! Yeah, the boost isn't perfect, but the rest of the log looks good to me. I haven't fine tuned the FF/duty bias after installing the DR intake manifold and fixing some boost leaks. It can definitely be straightened out. The turbo doesn't have enough load to hit 28psi in 1st or 2nd, but I can get it closer to target in the remaining gears. I did notice that it's awfully lean on initial boost ramp up for each gear, wondering if I need to get a Hobb's switch that activates before 15psi or if I need to somehow get PI to spray earlier.

As far as the NLS using the shift bog fix and PI safety... how safe would it be to do without checking the PI safety box? Right now I just have the shift bog fix checked, but not the PI safety. Whenever I had the PI safety box checked, the throttle was really sensitive and jerky when driving around town.

I'm patiently waiting to try a flash only 2-step after finding that the BMS relay doesn't work as intended. If I could leave with some boost, I know I could chop the 60ft way down. Maybe you can hook a guy up :smiley:

Nice! That'll be some great code to translate directly into faster n54's. @suspenceful I would definitely recommend trying an NLS via the MHD method (check boxes, no JB4 relay). With my lazy journal bearing and mediocre shift speed I'm still seeing shift speeds around 350ms and hold >24psi between shifts

edit- I do have my limiter turned down slightly to avoid crazy overshoot of the limiter when it hits it NLS'ing

I'll give it a shot! How are you measuring your shift speed times (in ms)? Did you turn down the limiter in your flash?

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
@suspenceful , how does the car drive with the drag shocks in normal driving and handling? I know it might be hard to judge if your stock shocks were blown, but did you notice any adverse effects? Those are a great value for better drag times, that's for sure!