veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
Having the bins is nice for people who like to self tune.

Implying the "big name tuners" are out to get you is a bit of a stretch.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Custom tunes are cheap as fuck by reputable tuners aka $250 for lifetime. Tunes are cheap, engines are not.

A person is willing to drop 3k on turbos + install + all the other maintenance and fuel upgrades you have to do on this platform and then wants to cheap out on a tuner? Play stupid games, get stupid prizes.

I'm all for free information. I'm also all for letting the experts do what they do best. I'm not a tuner, don't care or have time to learn. $250 is SMALL money in the grand scheme.

9krpmrx8

Lieutenant
Nov 5, 2016
San Antonio, Texas
Custom tunes are cheap as fuck by reputable tuners aka $250 for lifetime. Tunes are cheap, engines are not.

A person is willing to drop 3k on turbos + install + all the other maintenance and fuel upgrades you have to do on this platform and then wants to cheap out on a tuner? Play stupid games, get stupid prizes.

I'm all for free information. I'm also all for letting the experts do what they do best. I'm not a tuner, don't care or have time to learn. $250 is SMALL money in the grand scheme.

This is it exactly, and it's not just on this platform (which is very fuck up friendly with regard to tunes), but almost every platform, even on platforms that will cough up engine internals at the slightest ping. Stealing or "finding" reputable tuners tunes and then reusing them and making a few changes and calling them your own is nothing new. This is why tunes are locked on a lot of tuning platforms. People are just ignorant honestly and if you pay a tuner that has no experience or credibility then you deserve an engine failure. And if you want to learn on your own and have the intelligence to do so, then all the info you need to learn how to tune is already out there.

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
This is it exactly, and it's not just on this platform (which is very fuck up friendly with regard to tunes), but almost every platform, even on platforms that will cough up engine internals at the slightest ping. Stealing or "finding" reputable tuners tunes and then reusing them and making a few changes and calling them your own is nothing new. This is why tunes are locked on a lot of tuning platforms. People are just ignorant honestly and if you pay a tuner that has no experience or credibility then you deserve an engine failure. And if you want to learn on your own and have the intelligence to do so, then all the info you need to learn how to tune is already out there.

I would be interested to know where this information is... I have looked everywhere to find logical, understandable lessons or schools and turned up nothing but bits from shade tree folks and forums... which is a no no if you really want to learn the right way.

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
I would be interested to know where this information is... I have looked everywhere to find logical, understandable lessons or schools and turned up nothing but bits from shade tree folks and forums... which is a no no if you really want to learn the right way.

HP Academy is one, I'm sure there are others. I'm in the Guild of EFI Tuners facebook group and those guys are very helpful.

There's also @V8bait tuning guide for N54 specifically, and if you lurk on forums for other tuner cars (Evo, Supra, Subaru, turbo e36 forums, etc) you can also read those tuning guides / discussions and get a general understanding.

Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars
I know this probably isn't very helpful, but nothing beats real world experience, especially when this experience is gained tuning various different platforms...

Yup, indeed. I've been doing this for almost 20 years. Across numerous platforms. From chip burning and Eprom days to current flash, piggy and standalone days. hell even was doing manual tuning (still do on some specific clients) with carbs,and timing lights and etc. Lol.

Fact is, most people posting about tuners not sharing information or whatever dont really want to learn. They just want to be given everything. Without any work on their end.

And people wonder why tuners lock their maps....Oh well.

bahn

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Nov 5, 2016
Iowa
Not saying there's anything negative about sharing this kind of information but it should be known that most of the notes are a compilation of forum posts such as the "N55 stuff" spreadsheet which contains an exact copy paste of a post I made on e90post over a year ago. Just be aware that the notes may contain anecdotal experience from many different people, there's more than one way to tune an ECU so consistency may vary.

Reactions: matreyia

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Not saying there's anything negative about sharing this kind of information but it should be known that most of the notes are a compilation of forum posts such as the "N55 stuff" spreadsheet which contains an exact copy paste of a post I made on e90post over a year ago. Just be aware that the notes may contain anecdotal experience from many different people, there's more than one way to tune an ECU so consistency may vary.

Yeah...that's why I wasn't about to spend time on forum posts. Wish there was a curriculum with levels and text books etc.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Yeah my bullshit meter hit the ceiling. If one is stupid enough to make a statement like people getting ripped off for ~$250 by reputable tuners, I'm going to take that as a clue that they likely don't know much of anything. My tuner's value to me was so high, I sent him an additional $100 as a thank you.

The guys that are contributing to this platform and (hopefully) making some money - don't be deterred. Lots of us appreciate what you do!

Filippo

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Yeah my bullshit meter hit the ceiling. If one is stupid enough to make a statement like people getting ripped off for ~$250 by reputable tuners, I'm going to take that as a clue that they likely don't know much of anything. My tuner's value to me was so high, I sent him an additional $100 as a thank you.

The guys that are contributing to this platform and (hopefully) making some money - don't be deterred. Lots of us appreciate what you do!

Filippo

Tunes on this platform are also cheap compared to say, and APR tune or tunes on other platforms.

So an E-tune costs roughly $250, and likely takes a minimum of 3hrs to dial in. So, $83hr to pay someone experienced, and competent to program your car worth tens of thousands of dollars sounds like a no brainier to me.

Likely the same people running "cheap" tunes, are the same ones running Chinese turbos.

I personally haven't seen the need for a custom tune. JB4 with OTS bef helped me hit the boost targets for my octane and performance needs.

Exactly small money.

On stock turbos the OTS MHD maps are fine unless you are trying to get the most out of the stock turbos on your gas of choice. Like if you wanted the most on 93 you would get a custom tune or 93 + meth + inlets + outlets get a custom tune. For 99% of the people on stock turbos the stock MHD maps seem just fine. Even though $250 is cheap for a tune.

9krpmrx8

Lieutenant
Nov 5, 2016
San Antonio, Texas
HP Academy is one, I'm sure there are others. I'm in the Guild of EFI Tuners facebook group and those guys are very helpful.

There's also @V8bait tuning guide for N54 specifically, and if you lurk on forums for other tuner cars (Evo, Supra, Subaru, turbo e36 forums, etc) you can also read those tuning guides / discussions and get a general understanding.

This, and there are books, etc. The forums are a great place to learn as well, you just have to sort thru the posts from those who are just parroting unreliable information. Most of the legitimate tuners on this platform share, and have been for years. Me personally, well I would just rather have a pro do it so I can just enjoy the car.

• Dumb
Reactions: phv628

9krpmrx8

Lieutenant
Nov 5, 2016
San Antonio, Texas
What platform have you tuned prior to this?
Me? Cobb ATR on a turbo RX-8, Apexi super AFC on a boosted RSX, Civic, and swapped CRX prior to the early days of Hondata and carbs and ECU swaps (not really tuning I know) prior to that. But I would not call myself a tuner, I attended a class on the Cobb stuff and had a lot of help over the years. But I always had professional tune as well when it got serious.

• Dumb
Reactions: phv628

Xer0449

Corporal
Jan 30, 2017
Me? Cobb ATR on a turbo RX-8, Apexi super AFC on a boosted RSX, Civic, and swapped CRX prior to the early days of Hondata and carbs and ECU swaps (not really tuning I know) prior to that. But I would not call myself a tuner, I attended a class on the Cobb stuff and had a lot of help over the years. But I always had professional tune as well when it got serious.

Heh, sorry - I meant OP @DaddyBoost

Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars

APEXI S-AFC, bro, you just gave me flashbacks, lol. Remember when those were the cutting edge, haha

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York
Thanks man. More stuff is coming.

Regardless of whatever claims there are against you, thanks for sharing. Then again, it wasn't your information to share, so, you're an asshole for doing this too.

I'd rather not continue the argument about whether $250 is too much to pay for "experience" or that this platform costs less for a tune than others... Those are terrible arguments for not wanting to share information. I'd like to just point out that on other platforms you can easily find forums and threads dedicated to shareware and expanding tuning knowledge. No one says "stop being a cheap asshole" to people who want to share timing tables and expand their knowledge on how tables work together. Seems a bit ridiculous to me that people who don't know how to tune a car them self are so willing to tell others to just go pay some guy that tunes cars out of his garage as a hobby to do it for them. Hey, just go tow your car to the dealer to fix that oil filter housing gasket too... oh and that leaking valve cover? "HAVE A PROFESSIONAL DO IT." "Don't be a cheap ass." That's just a poor mentality to perpetuate.

I gladly put a "donation" in the form of "custom tunes" to those putting their time, effort, and intellectual property into this platform. Things have come a long way the past 2 years. I don't think copying people's work and reselling it to others should be condoned though. I think that there is a big difference between that and simply helping others tune their own cars with the knowledge you've gained. Flat out just releasing someone elses personal notes on the subject without putting it into your own words is plagiarism.

Last edited: