Clutch not bleeding. Desperate enough to pay for working solutions at this point.

28BZ

Feb 12, 2023
video below. This is my fourth time, 6 hours into attempting to bleed the clutch. Bleeder screw generously loosened, with a vacuum reservoir being powered by an air compressor running at a constant 20psi of vacuum. As you can see in the video only a few drops get sucked down. However af the end you can see the reservoir is completely full. Desperate for any solutions, shop is not an option anymore due to how modified this vehicle is.

**want to mention i’ve already replaced with a new slave cylinder, billet clutch delay valve, full fluid flush, and new throwout bearing and clutch fork to name a few. “

KClemente

Sergeant
Nov 26, 2019
Ride
E90 335i
Did you fill your reservoir to the tip top? Don't know if you know but the clutch portion of the reservoir is separated, and fluid can only enter it if the reservoir is filled to the top.

Also I can't recommend vacuum bleeding BMW's. Either pressure bleed from the reservoir, or manual bleed it

28BZ

Feb 12, 2023
Did you fill your reservoir to the tip top? Don't know if you know but the clutch portion of the reservoir is separated, and fluid can only enter it if the reservoir is filled to the top.

Also I can't recommend vacuum bleeding BMW's. Either pressure bleed from the reservoir, or manual bleed it
yes, at the end of the video you can briefly see the setup at the top. It’s full and i have a refiller positioned for when the fluid was supposed to start dropping. If i were to pressure bleed from the reservoir how would i get the air out though? That would just be taking existing fluid out and replacing it right?

KClemente

Sergeant
Nov 26, 2019
Ride
E90 335i
I've used this Motiv Power Bleeder many times on different BMW's. It works okay when trying to bleed the clutch, but our clutches are also self bleeding.

What I mean, is that as long as you keep the reservoir full, you can manually pump the clutch pedal up and down many many many times, and eventually enough bubbles will get ejected up into the reservoir and the pedal will get hard. Bleeder screw still tight all the way through

I actually just did that method a few days ago

• Informative
Reactions: wheela

28BZ

Feb 12, 2023
I've used this Motiv Power Bleeder many times on different BMW's. It works okay when trying to bleed the clutch, but our clutches are also self bleeding.

What I mean, is that as long as you keep the reservoir full, you can manually pump the clutch pedal up and down many many many times, and eventually enough bubbles will get ejected up into the reservoir and the pedal will get hard. Bleeder screw still tight all the way through

I actually just did that method a few days ago
oh wow, so it’s kind of self bleeding. when you say bleeder valve closed that’s when you're pumping the clutch? Also reservoir cap open i’m assuming? I’m worried about overfilling though as it seems like it could be a pain to get it back to the level it should be.

KClemente

Sergeant
Nov 26, 2019
Ride
E90 335i
Trust me, overfill it to the brim of the reservoir (top of cap) and just use a syringe or turkey baster to lower the level to the correct line afterwards. I just watched you video and is the dark line your current fill? If so, it'll be a little too low to fill the clutch reservoir.

And yes, the bleeder valve closed the whole time when pumping the clutch pedal by hand.

But if you use the power bleeder, then you'll have to bleed it normally by opening and closing.

If you have a helper, you can also just bleed it traditionally aswell. I just can't recommend pulling a vacuum from the bottom.

• Informative
Reactions: wheela

28BZ

Feb 12, 2023
Trust me, overfill it to the brim of the reservoir (top of cap) and just use a syringe or turkey baster to lower the level to the correct line afterwards. I just watched you video and is the dark line your current fill? If so, it'll be a little too low to fill the clutch reservoir.

And yes, the bleeder valve closed the whole time when pumping the clutch pedal by hand.

But if you use the power bleeder, then you'll have to bleed it normally by opening and closing.

If you have a helper, you can also just bleed it traditionally aswell. I just can't recommend pulling a vacuum from the bottom.
i just spent 30 seconds doing that and fluid is finally coming down. I am so embarrassed i just spent 300$ on an air compressor and power bleeder. I really appreciate your help dude, i’m a man of my word so if you still want payment i’m happy to.

Pete

Lurker
Aug 21, 2023
I can see you fixed the problem! this is for anybody else with the same issue.
The plastic bleeder does not let any fluid past it until it is opened at least 1/2 - 1 full turn

See images for factory bleed procedure.

Instead of that tool they show I just used a piece of metal with some holes drilled into it and some long bolts.

Attachments

• ISTA1.JPG
    ISTA1.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 13
  • ISTA2.JPG
    ISTA2.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 13
  • ISTA3.JPG
    ISTA3.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 12