Twisted Tuning X-Drive Transfer Case Mount Inserts (Group Buy)

Mike335xi

Lurker
Feb 13, 2017
Ride
335xi
Part arrived today. Might have it in by tomorrow. Depends on my schedule.

Who likes useless updates? I like useless updates!

Attachments

• BBF7361E-3F92-4C15-975B-8D8810E4AAAE.jpeg
    BBF7361E-3F92-4C15-975B-8D8810E4AAAE.jpeg
    253.2 KB · Views: 357

Mike335xi

Lurker
Feb 13, 2017
Ride
335xi
Initial review

So I installed the part today. It took me longer than expected because when I removed the mount bracket I found my transfer case mount to be mushroomed due to the previous installation by a guy I know. I didn’t realize this till now and had to spend about 30 mins with an air grinder making the inner bushing back into a cylinder. I also noticed the lower rubber part of my mount was slightly deformed which you’ll see in pictures. And everything I had a nice coating of oil, but I know where all those leaks are coming from. Fear not!

Due to uncertainty on exactly which was the problem area I removed marterial from both the TT Insert and the inner bolt receptacle on the car. In the end it fit snug.

I didn’t have “grease” at the auto shop I was working at but they did have some of that tire installation lube stuff next to the machine so I grabbed some of that and put it on all the mating surfaces. Lubrication will make your life easier in this task, and many others in life.

The back half is far easier to get in than the front. I ended up using some channel locks to squeeze it together which is why it looks like Edward scissorhands installed it.

My car had a conical rubber bushing on the transfer case mounting bracket. I had to pull this out to get the bracket back on. Otherwise the bolts that hold the insert get in the way. It’s pretty obvious when you are looking at it all.

Impressions on feel and driving dynamics

Wow!
Wow!
Holy cow!

Immediately on startup the car made more and less noises.

Prior to this the transmission and clutch/flywheel would give an audible and tactile clunk and rattle on startup
That’s gone

Clutch engagement is better from a stop and while moving. The trans is no longer moving during clutch engagement which would cause what I would call “indefinite engagement feel” while releasing the pedal. Is it grabbing. Is it slipping. Is the trans bouncing back and forth. Who knows!
Now you know.

Shifts while moving are better. The trans is tn moving under the car during load. My car is running probably over 500/500 on e50. There was significant deflection in the trans in relation to the shifter. Immediately before ordering this I missed a shift to 3rd on the highway because when I went for it I hit nothing. Like the gear wasn’t there.
I don’t expect that to happen ever again.

The “slack” in the drivetrain is greatly reduced. I’d put it at 90% less. Now what I feel is almost positively my engine mounts flexing (335is RH both sides). Releasing the throttle. No clunk. Full clutch in while coasting slow speed. No clunk. No rubber band bouncing at slow speed from the driveline. The car feels far more “solid”.

I really didn’t appreciate how much movement that Mount was causing until it stopped causing all the movement.

NVH

I need to raise my idle. It vibrates the car. but revving it to 7-800 seems to correct that quickly. This vibration isn’t like your teeth are going to fall out. It’s like you have a solid piece of steel holding your driveline in place, because that’s what you bought it to do.

The car sounds different. It’s louder. The engine sounds are increased. I think the exhaust sounds a little different. At cruise around 80 it’s louder. Off the throttle it’s the same. Low speed cruising seems to be similar to stock. Low rpm high throttle applications are where it gets the loudest.

Is it perfect? Of course not. It’s a piece of metal replacing a flexy piece of rubber. It is a compromise but if you are at the point of thinking you need this, you probably need it. I’d recommend it for anyone over 400whp that doesn’t mind the increase in noise. I couldn’t imagine going over 500whp without one of these.

I would much rather my car feel solid and be a little louder than the drivetrain clunking around like a jalopy.

Justin? at Twisted Tuning did an amazing job designing this product and fixing a major weakness in the XI drivetrain. Congratulations.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Thanks for your initial impressions.
Now I have an AT xi. I wonder whether I can expect the same results or something different ?

Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars
Initial review

So I installed the part today. It took me longer than expected because when I removed the mount bracket I found my transfer case mount to be mushroomed due to the previous installation by a guy I know. I didn’t realize this till now and had to spend about 30 mins with an air grinder making the inner bushing back into a cylinder. I also noticed the lower rubber part of my mount was slightly deformed which you’ll see in pictures. And everything I had a nice coating of oil, but I know where all those leaks are coming from. Fear not!

Due to uncertainty on exactly which was the problem area I removed marterial from both the TT Insert and the inner bolt receptacle on the car. In the end it fit snug.

I didn’t have “grease” at the auto shop I was working at but they did have some of that tire installation lube stuff next to the machine so I grabbed some of that and put it on all the mating surfaces. Lubrication will make your life easier in this task, and many others in life.

The back half is far easier to get in than the front. I ended up using some channel locks to squeeze it together which is why it looks like Edward scissorhands installed it.

My car had a conical rubber bushing on the transfer case mounting bracket. I had to pull this out to get the bracket back on. Otherwise the bolts that hold the insert get in the way. It’s pretty obvious when you are looking at it all.

Impressions on feel and driving dynamics

Wow!
Wow!
Holy cow!

Immediately on startup the car made more and less noises.

Prior to this the transmission and clutch/flywheel would give an audible and tactile clunk and rattle on startup
That’s gone

Clutch engagement is better from a stop and while moving. The trans is no longer moving during clutch engagement which would cause what I would call “indefinite engagement feel” while releasing the pedal. Is it grabbing. Is it slipping. Is the trans bouncing back and forth. Who knows!
Now you know.

Shifts while moving are better. The trans is tn moving under the car during load. My car is running probably over 500/500 on e50. There was significant deflection in the trans in relation to the shifter. Immediately before ordering this I missed a shift to 3rd on the highway because when I went for it I hit nothing. Like the gear wasn’t there.
I don’t expect that to happen ever again.

The “slack” in the drivetrain is greatly reduced. I’d put it at 90% less. Now what I feel is almost positively my engine mounts flexing (335is RH both sides). Releasing the throttle. No clunk. Full clutch in while coasting slow speed. No clunk. No rubber band bouncing at slow speed from the driveline. The car feels far more “solid”.

I really didn’t appreciate how much movement that Mount was causing until it stopped causing all the movement.

NVH

I need to raise my idle. It vibrates the car. but revving it to 7-800 seems to correct that quickly. This vibration isn’t like your teeth are going to fall out. It’s like you have a solid piece of steel holding your driveline in place, because that’s what you bought it to do.

The car sounds different. It’s louder. The engine sounds are increased. I think the exhaust sounds a little different. At cruise around 80 it’s louder. Off the throttle it’s the same. Low speed cruising seems to be similar to stock. Low rpm high throttle applications are where it gets the loudest.

Is it perfect? Of course not. It’s a piece of metal replacing a flexy piece of rubber. It is a compromise but if you are at the point of thinking you need this, you probably need it. I’d recommend it for anyone over 400whp that doesn’t mind the increase in noise. I couldn’t imagine going over 500whp without one of these.

I would much rather my car feel solid and be a little louder than the drivetrain clunking around like a jalopy.

Justin? at Twisted Tuning did an amazing job designing this product and fixing a major weakness in the XI drivetrain. Congratulations.

thank you very much for that detailed review. It's super appreciated, as the manufacturer i can tell you about the product all day everyday. But its the consumer reviews of products that mean the most and hold the most weight. I'm very happy you are enjoying the setup.

Like you said, it's definitely a trade-off. And honestly after i've driven mine for a few months before with the mount. often times, i forget its there (noise/nvh wise).

Thanks for your initial impressions.
Now I have an AT xi. I wonder whether I can expect the same results or something different ?

you should have similar results.

Narcosis

Corporal
Dec 14, 2016
Hudson, WI
Ride
F82
Honestly havent done much wot, as you can see in the previous post by justin, my mount isn't in properly and i havent had time to get under the car and redo it. I dont want to push the car for fear of damaging something, and im thinking the feeling may change when i do solve the issue. What little time ive had the car at wot it felt violent, but ive done a lot of work on my car all at once, went fbo, mount insert, exhaust, cf hood, alignment. And cant tell whats doing what. Violent and loud is all i can say

Nothing wrong with violent and loud, unless you are a quiet pacifist... :)

Mike335xi

Lurker
Feb 13, 2017
Ride
335xi
I may have killed a motor mount or two. Got some unwanted vibration in the front end from 15-25mph. Unsure if it’s from increased load on the motor or some other work I had done(axles, diff reseal, oil pan gasket).

Will probably switch to ADE mounts. I’m on the rein 335iS mounts (2ea RH) now. I suspect one quit.

I’ll try and update as I make progress.

I was under the car about a week ago and looked at the Tcase mount. Everything looked fine.

Awhile back I raised idle from stock to 750. It helped a bunch. I might bump it to 900.

Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars
Ok, so people have been emailing me about Doing urethane mounts on top of the Aluminum inserts. I can do them, but how many people actually want the urethane mounts? I'll make a run immediately if at least 10 to 20 people want them and will be willing to preorder. Let me know by adding your name to list below. Can have them done in about 2 weeks once people sign up and pre-order. 80-90 durometer.

Price will match our Aluminum version at $250

Last edited:

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Reviving this. Any luck on the urethane mounts? I would like to tighten things up a bit, but the solid aluminum TCase mounts sound to be a little too harsh for my DD. So going to something like urethane with a hardness somewhere between stock and the solid ones may be the ticket.
If you agree, please like this with an “Agree” green check mark and maybe Justin will be inspired to make them!

Reactions: Raptor04

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Dunno. Doubt it. I purchased a new OEM one from FCP and filled it with WindowWeld to stiffen it up. Hoping to install it soon once I get my QuickJack working.

Last edited:
Reactions: SLOWESTN54

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Dunno. Doubt it. I purchased one from FCP and filled it with WindowWeld to install. Hoping to install it soon once I get my QuickJack working.

That is the old school way of doing things and it works just fine. Many a mount has been filled with windowweld over the years to great success. Some people even cut out some of the OEM mount so there is more WW in the mount to make it even firmer.