Filling Transfer Case Mount with Urethane?

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Anybody try filling the stock transfer case mount with a polymer like the 3M Urethane mentioned below to stiffen up the t-case, but not make it too stiff?

BACKGROUND:
This thread discusses replacing the stock xi Metal/rubbertransfer case mount with a billet aluminum piece.

In this thread there’s discussion of filling stock engine mounts with a 3M Urethane polymer to make them stiffer:

If useful, could one squirt the uncured Urethane into the t-case mount spaces without having to remove it?

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
I do not see how it could hurt. People have been using window weld in mounts for ages with little to no ill effects.

Reactions: Jeffman

Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars
You could do it, but it would be messy and you need to find a way to keep the urethane in the mount while it cures. Best to do it out of the car. But they are a pain to remove. Thats what swayed me from making full mounts and instead just going with inserts.

• Informative
Reactions: Jeffman and Torgus

island road

Corporal
Nov 21, 2016
Boston
Ride
535xiT 2010 M Sport
I have done this before on a BMW X5 transfer case bushing. I needed a quick fix for the time being as the bushing was cracked. Took it out of the car, filled it and drove on it for over a year with no issues. It does take a few days to cure but its pretty common even in other cars.

• Agree
Reactions: Jeffman and Torgus

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
You
Anybody try filling the stock transfer case mount with a polymer like the 3M Urethane mentioned below to stiffen up the t-case, but not make it too stiff?

BACKGROUND:
This thread discusses replacing the stock xi Metal/rubbertransfer case mount with a billet aluminum piece.

In this thread there’s discussion of filling stock engine mounts with a 3M Urethane polymer to make them stiffer:

If useful, could one squirt the uncured Urethane into the t-case mount spaces without having to remove it?

absolutely need to take out the mounts completely in order to fill in all the orfices. It's quite a lot of voids to fill. If I were you, I would buy new stock ones and fill those before they get installed. That's what I did.

Reactions: Jeffman

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
You absolutely need to take out the mounts completely in order to fill in all the orfices. It's quite a lot of voids to fill. If I were you, I would buy new stock ones and fill those before they get installed. That's what I did.
That’s a great idea.