N54 Turbo query

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
Let me know when twins do 800wtq at 4k ;)

This is a stock n54 with a smaller EFR turbo roughly equivalent to a PTE 6266. I say roughly as we know a 6266 maxes out at 800whp on an n54 + dynojet.

View attachment 65274

The dyno numbers and ETs the S58 is putting out just makes me want to sell my car. Can we please never mention that engine again?
What my Compadré said

Reactions: wheela and Torgus

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Tits for sure. But needs to be a good mix, not to much of either.
Well said 👏 well said 👏 . If money were no issue at all id look at the ces kit. Otherwise top mount is my preferred route . Keeping the wastgates down low like some top mounts do it is a good way to keep heat down low as well and keep the gates cool. Heat management should not be much of a concern there's plenty of good thermal control products out there

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
That 3d printed head has to be putting in some work

The cylinder head is NOT 3d printed! Probably the biggest misconception in the S58 world until today.

They are using 3d printed cores to realize complex structures and seem to use sand casting as the manufacturing process instead of die casting.

These are the printed cores for the casting:
bmw.jpg

Reactions: TheFixer

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
I'm sure bmw uses a process similar to this for doing there cylinder heads
No.

The core is simply a a shape that is used in sand casting. In sand casting they are so called "lost cores" and basically destryoed after the sand casting process. They need to be destroyed as they are basically the negative of the cylinder head. If you look at the picture you can see that the piece looks like the inside channels of the head.

Your video has nothing to do with the process of how the head is made.

• Agree
Reactions: wheela

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
I think a 3d printed head would be insanely expensive.

The 3d printed Inconel Manifold is cool tech but cost wise it makes more sense to just fabricate it up.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
A head printed to the requirements of an OEM... That thing may appear in a Koenigsegg but not in an affordable BMW anytime soon.
Long term material behavior is an issue. Consider Paul Rosche pulled M10 engines out of German junkyards to build F1 motors, as they were better suited for endurance than fresh motors. There is the product, then the product over time, then the product over time x over use.

Reactions: JohnDaviz

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
Am I still in my thread? Lol

My turbos should be arriving in two more weeks. Can't wait to see them! Not to excited about figuring out how to put the subframe back in. Ugh, I look at it on the floor of my garage every day with pure disdain.

On another note. Nice discussion on turbos that spooled up.... pun intended.....

Also, who cant decide if they prefer top or bottom mount?

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus