N54 Turbo query

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
My wastegates are shot. I'm going to rebuild or replace.

What's a good rebuild kit?

Alternatively, who is a reputable turbo rebuilder.

Lasty, new turbos for 1700 or less that are not junk.

Thanks!

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
If you had to choose between new Mitsubishi turbos for 1400 bucks or the rebuilt RB turbos, which would you go for?

Do you really plan on keeping the turbos 10T?

Buying from FCP means lifetime warranty. Does that cover the wastegate wearing and rattling? Even if it does the labor is what sucks. Who cares if you get free turbos every 2 years if you have to spend a day on your back installing.

I think I would vote RBs w/ the upgraded wastegate(which I think is standard now). It should remain rattle free longer than FCP stockers. You also get better quality internals IIRC. I would vote get larger than stock wheels. The RB stock 10T billet wheel upgrade I don't think is worth the money, I know they are 'supposed' to spin up faster than stock but they feel the same to me when in a car and no HP/TQ benefits. I would vote at least do 16T turbos which I think are his RB twos? Good bump in performance and the real key is being able to hold power to redline. Short shifting at 6k is rather silly when the car revs to 7200. The extra 1200 RPMs of power not falling off a cliff is huge in terms of performance.

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i

Buying from FCP means lifetime warranty. Does that cover the wastegate wearing and rattling? Even if it does the labor is what sucks. Who cares if you get free turbos every 2 years if you have to spend a day on your back installing.

I think I would vote RBs w/ the upgraded wastegate(which I think is standard now). It should remain rattle free longer than FCP stockers. You also get better quality internals IIRC. I would vote get larger than stock wheels. The RB stock 10T billet wheel upgrade I don't think is worth the money, I know they are 'supposed' to spin up faster than stock but they feel the same to me when in a car and no HP/TQ benefits. I would vote at least do 16T turbos which I think are his RB twos? Good bump in performance and the real key is being able to hold power to redline. Short shifting at 6k is rather silly when the car revs to 7200. The extra 1200 RPMs of power not falling off a cliff is huge in terms of performance.
Lots of good info to consider. Thanks!

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i

I also vote to upgrade from the 10ts

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus and SlowE93

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
I agree with @Torgus RB Twos are a great upgrade. Also depends on your power goals. I'd love to throw my car on a dyno and see what typa power it's making. Getting RB GF's for my 335i hopefully this month.
I don't know if i can budget RB twos or not. Would be nice. My goal is long term driveability with a side of fun when i want to turn up the tune.

Right now I've got two other bimmers I'm throwing money at. The e46 vert I bought last year and completely fixed up got hit by an uninsured driver. 5k going to body work on that one.

Then the 500 dollar e53 we recently took on a road trip I'm doing vanos rebuild, m56 valve cover, engine mounts and other little things now it's passed the long haul road trip.

Literally starting off the new year Breaking My Wallet..... lol

Anyone want to buy me some parts? :)

That or get me therapy for this terrible bmw hobby.... which is ironically my therapy to keep me sane.

• Sad
Reactions: SLOWESTN54

SLOWESTN54

Captain
Feb 9, 2021
B.C. Canada
Ride
2007 E92 335i
I don't know if i can budget RB twos or not. Would be nice. My goal is long term driveability with a side of fun when i want to turn up the tune.

Right now I've got two other bimmers I'm throwing money at. The e46 vert I bought last year and completely fixed up got hit by an uninsured driver. 5k going to body work on that one.

Then the 500 dollar e53 we recently took on a road trip I'm doing vanos rebuild, m56 valve cover, engine mounts and other little things now it's passed the long haul road trip.

Literally starting off the new year Breaking My Wallet..... lol

Anyone want to buy me some parts? :)

That or get me therapy for this terrible bmw hobby.... which is ironically my therapy to keep me sane.
Ahh I see. Sorry about the E46, life really fucks us at the worst times. The OEM's are plenty. I got OEM's for the exact same reason, wasn't left with a massive budget after spending to much money and time on my 335i. If you have bad OEM turbos the RB OEM's will make a huge difference. I did add inlets at the same time which may have added to the effect.

Reactions: TheFixer

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
Sorry to hear about your e46, that sucks...
Thankfully my wife didn't get hurt. The Isuzu rodeo that rammed the vert rolled.

Here's a pic of the damage. Sorta fixed with a summit racing sticker. Lol

download.jpeg

Reactions: Torgus

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
Ahh I see. Sorry about the E46, life really fucks us at the worst times. The OEM's are plenty. I got OEM's for the exact same reason, wasn't left with a massive budget after spending to much money and time on my 335i. If you have bad OEM turbos the RB OEM's will make a huge difference. I did add inlets at the same time which may have added to the effect.
Sure does.... oh well. Needed a paint job anyway. At least my wife wasn't hurt and it's still drivable. That is my wife's valentines day present i bought last year and fixed up. New rebuilt motor, tuned, new suspension, new everything.... then some uninsured ass hits it.

Rob just wrote me back. I think I'll go for the RB ones. That's what he suggested.

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
Sure does.... oh well. Needed a paint job anyway. At least my wife wasn't hurt and it's still drivable. That is my wife's valentines day present i bought last year and fixed up. New rebuilt motor, tuned, new suspension, new everything.... then some uninsured ass hits it.

Rob just wrote me back. I think I'll go for the RB ones. That's what he suggested

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
Finally removed the stock turbos today. Sending them off to RB tomorrow. So glad I am replacing them. They are toast. The manifolds are date stamped 2007, so this car never even had them replaced under the recall.

So much other stuff needs attention under there to. Kinda wished I just pulled the whole motor out. So much easier doing stuff on an engine stand. Oh well I'll survive. At least I'm in a heated garage.

SLOWESTN54

Captain
Feb 9, 2021
B.C. Canada
Ride
2007 E92 335i
Finally removed the stock turbos today. Sending them off to RB tomorrow. So glad I am replacing them. They are toast. The manifolds are date stamped 2007, so this car never even had them replaced under the recall.

So much other stuff needs attention under there to. Kinda wished I just pulled the whole motor out. So much easier doing stuff on an engine stand. Oh well I'll survive. At least I'm in a heated garage.
You won’t be disappointed. I’m Finnaly getting my custom tune dialled in and Im more then happy with how there performing.