SYVECS running N54 _ WHo has one?

rac

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2016
Australia
Ride
135i ST
high power street car. My build thread is here:

I miss the real time tuning and datalogging of standalones on this platform, but I do recognize the stock DME is fairly powerful. I've tuned Haltech, AEM, Wolf, Fueltech, Motech, TEC, etc...

That said, there's a lot of undocumented logic with few people who have actual answers and a lot of clowns recommending bad practices. For example, I've just found out that leaving the boost reference connected on the FPR is a bad idea, as the DME will pull back duty cycle to reach target, aside from trying to run the pumps into near useless territory. I'll be addressing that with some table changes and removing the boost reference and setting the static pressure to 80psi and likely adding a BPM4 to run the pumps.

On the other hand, oem ecu has a good bit of safeties, granted, I need to deal w/ the false knock still, but I'm taking baby steps.

View attachment 53615

personally for a high powered street car i would try and stick with the eom ecu for as long as you can.
as you already know getting the low rpm drive ability and warm up phase, cold/hot start similar to oem can take a good bit of tuning time on a standalone.

if you were getting too many limp modes, other ecu related issues, wideband or direct injector related issues driving on the street, enough to spoil your enjoyment of the car then i'd consider going stand alone. however i think most people would find street driving pretty forgiving on the lack of oem ecu flexibility up to a point.

since fuel economy is not on your agenda, i would consider any of those ecu's you are comfortable with not just the syvecs and weigh them up based on qty of inputs/outputs, knock control method and other features you want.

nyt

Sergeant
Sep 15, 2019
Ride
2010 335xi
personally for a high powered street car i would try and stick with the eom ecu for as long as you can.
as you already know getting the low rpm drive ability and warm up phase, cold/hot start similar to oem can take a good bit of tuning time on a standalone.

if you were getting too many limp modes, other ecu related issues, wideband or direct injector related issues driving on the street, enough to spoil your enjoyment of the car then i'd consider going stand alone. however i think most people would find street driving pretty forgiving on the lack of oem ecu flexibility up to a point.

since fuel economy is not on your agenda, i would consider any of those ecu's you are comfortable with not just the syvecs and weigh them up based on qty of inputs/outputs, knock control method and other features you want.

The benefit of the Syvecs is the DI drivers and PNP. Not many other options there. I never had an issue tuning a car for drivability, my cars were always smoother than oem by far... except when I was running a Wolf with an IAC bug that'd try to stall you out lol.

rac

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2016
Australia
Ride
135i ST
The benefit of the Syvecs is the DI drivers and PNP. Not many other options there. I never had an issue tuning a car for drivability, my cars were always smoother than oem by far... except when I was running a Wolf with an IAC bug that'd try to stall you out lol.
I rewired the entire pnp harness due to grounding issues within the adaptor and ended up ditching the DI so those particular benefits didn't turn out to have a lot of value for me. Even some of the tables i had to recalibrate, but i admitt having a pnp base map saved hours and hours of sensor by sensor calibration from scratch, plus the integrated canbus.

nyt

Sergeant
Sep 15, 2019
Ride
2010 335xi
I rewired the entire pnp harness due to grounding issues within the adaptor and ended up ditching the DI so those particular benefits didn't turn out to have a lot of value for me. Even some of the tables i had to recalibrate, but i admitt having a pnp base map saved hours and hours of sensor by sensor calibration from scratch, plus the integrated canbus.

What are you using to block the DI ports in the head?

rac

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2016
Australia
Ride
135i ST
20200512_081452.jpg

nyt

Sergeant
Sep 15, 2019
Ride
2010 335xi
Ran the car up to temp, had these cooled with dry ice and hammered them in. I had these machined to my own specifications after alot of measurements...

Nice. I doubt I'll be going to PI only on this car, but very cool.

How does the syvecs deal w/ obd when getting inspected?

rac

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2016
Australia
Ride
135i ST

I wish those where available a few years back. I was going to make those exactly but not having the tools to do so easily meant I opted for something more simple.
Actually my grand plan was to have the inside a receptacle for temperature sensors and log cylinder by cylinder temps, might still do that one day.

The main concern I had with this design was whether or not the contact area to the head was too far away from the heat source to be effective enough to transfer away combustion heat. Leaving the stock injectors in place they end up being glow plugs because being steel with a poorer heat conductance and having a small contact area set back from the cylinder they really rely on fuel flow to keep them cool.

So these things being aluminium solves half of that problem, after some hard use I’d pull them out and check for heat damage on the tip to be sure. The nice thing about this design is its reversible.

With my plugs I made a tapered section that I hammered in to ensure there would be good amount of interference fit and heat transfer away from the tip. I was mostly worried that a poor boy solution (not taking the head off) would end up having a hot spot that could cause pre-ignition. Ideally I’d do all this with the head off and make sure the internal surfaces where all flush and perfect.

SJ_1989

Sergeant
Aug 7, 2018
Illinoisssss
Ride
2008 E90 335i
I believe they are running it on one of their N54 swapped E46 drift cars that uses an AEM standalone, but don't quote me. I ordered a set because I don't want to pull the head right now to plug them so we'll see how it goes. The car will only be idling this year since it's not drivable so it will be awhile before I know of any issues.

ronisc

Dec 29, 2017
Ride
BMW
Hello, i am ronald and i have installed Syvics S7+ on 335i N54>Can i ask u if i caan get the base map from u too please
Regards Ron

ronisc

Dec 29, 2017
Ride
BMW
What is your set up?
I'm about to pull the trigger on a Syvecs as well
compression reduction from 10 to 9.5
Hybrid Turbo
Piston
Valves
Schrick Inlet 268degrees