Nexsys oil pressure sensor kit

bahn

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Nov 5, 2016
Iowa
Haha you beat me to making an official post about it. Let me know if you guys have any questions, I'd be happy to answer!

SLOWESTN54

Captain
Feb 9, 2021
B.C. Canada
Ride
2007 E92 335i
Haha you beat me to making an official post about it. Let me know if you guys have any questions, I'd be happy to answer!
haha sorry you jack your thread. Curious how wiring will work? Will we just tap into the previous switches wiring? Also for a reflex user would you recommend this or to just get there sensor witch plugs directly into the reflex?

bahn

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Nov 5, 2016
Iowa
haha sorry you jack your thread. Curious how wiring will work? Will we just tap into the previous switches wiring? Also for a reflex user would you recommend this or to just get there sensor witch plugs directly into the reflex?
The harness is plug & play, we're using 3 unused pins on the DME & a bunch of custom code. You unplug the existing oil pressure switch (throw it in the fuck-it bucket), replace it with the sensor in our kit and use the harness in our kit to connect the sensor to the DME. You can actually fish the new harness inside the stock engine harness and into the DME box so you dont need to cut or drill holes in the rubber grommets that seal the DME box. I would recommend this setup as we have configurable thresholds for alerts (both warning and critical stages), visual & audible alerts on the dash and I-drive, and a configurable rev-limiter during oil pressure failure situations.

Quick demo of the dash alert for critical oil pressure. The warning alert is identical but orange instead of red.

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
Is there already an installation tutorial?

Have you read the post before your question?

"The harness is plug & play, we're using 3 unused pins on the DME & a bunch of custom code. You unplug the existing oil pressure switch (throw it in the fuck-it bucket), replace it with the sensor in our kit and use the harness in our kit to connect the sensor to the DME. "

I don´t think that an installation manual will be really neded.

seb.apprenti

Corporal
Nov 28, 2018
reunion island
Ride
335 i e92

"The harness is plug & play, we're using 3 unused pins on the DME & a bunch of custom code. You unplug the existing oil pressure switch (throw it in the fuck-it bucket), replace it with the sensor in our kit and use the harness in our kit to connect the sensor to the DME. "

Unless I am mistaken, I did not disrespect anyone, I just asked a question because we are on a Forum. I just wanted to know if there were photos or videos to illustrate the explanation already written 😉.. i apologize for being so ignorant so stupid

Cruizinmax

Corporal
Jul 18, 2018
Ride
09 335i

I think it's a fair question. Which pins get tapped in to? How do you integrate the code into your DME? I thought I read somewhere it was flashed in MHD but there is currently no option for it. Does it need a custom tune to be utilized?

A tutorial would answer all that without a bunch of questions, you know?

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
May I point out that you can order these for ~$170 intro pricing before end of year and then they go to ~$200. Nice work @bahn and thanks for the explanation here. I agree a few photos would be great - maybe showing the DME plug in, the wiring harness/loom integration.

seb.apprenti

Corporal
Nov 28, 2018
reunion island
Ride
335 i e92
I also specify that the n54 is present in a lot of countries, but we do not all speak the same language. google translate is a great tool for communicating, no matter where you come from. but for the translation of technical data... sometimes it is incomprehensible. that's why pictures are important

• Informative
Reactions: Torgus and wheela

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
I think it's a fair question. Which pins get tapped in to? How do you integrate the code into your DME? I thought I read somewhere it was flashed in MHD but there is currently no option for it. Does it need a custom tune to be utilized?

A tutorial would answer all that without a bunch of questions, you know?

The part was just announced recently. There was not even a real post or thread with pictures or anything.

Just show some patience..

Reactions: RNM

Sausage

Private
Jul 12, 2022
Great for flash tune only drivers but I'm guessing these are of no added value for Reflex owners as you want to hook up the oil sensor there so Reflex can control low oil pressure scenarios. For example also boost cut on top of rpm limit.

SLOWESTN54

Captain
Feb 9, 2021
B.C. Canada
Ride
2007 E92 335i
Sorry to create all the confusion boys, it just caught my eye hence I thought I'd share it here. This is still in the pre order stage, i assume there will be more info as you get closer to the release date.

seb.apprenti

Corporal
Nov 28, 2018
reunion island
Ride
335 i e92
Sorry to create all the confusion boys, it just caught my eye hence I thought I'd share it here. This is still in the pre order stage, i assume there will be more info as you get closer to the release date.
you don't have to be sorry, there is no confusion 😉.
the subject is very interesting.
Like you, I saw the ads on social media.
I wanted to open the subject but you were faster (time difference 😅).
I can't wait to see all of this in pictures and video.
I will of course be patient (as I was suggested 😉)

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
Really nice solution. ZeroTo60 did a video on it today:

The DME actually has an option to select between oil switch and oil sensor so it was a consideration when designing the engine so there should be genuine parts available for this sensor that were used elsewhere in the BMW range.

The tables already exist for the sensor scaling so it's plug and play and it should use built-in DTC codes too.

Asmo

Private
Aug 23, 2020
The pricing on this is a money grab. The actual sensor part # is 12617592532, so what they offer is a "cartel style" licensing, (non-nexsys buyers should be able to at least buy a license to DIY) and a harness which would retail less than 15$.

Reactions: Sausage

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
The pricing on this is a money grab. The actual sensor part # is 12617592532, so what they offer is a "cartel style" licensing, (non-nexsys buyers should be able to at least buy a license to DIY) and a harness which would retail less than 15$.

About the hardware cost, you are completely right.
But somebody actually did the R&D about it, figured out how to make it work an implemented this into the MHD app. I guess this took some days of lifetime to get there.
As this product won´t sell millions of times the developer deserves some kind of income or compensation for giving his lifetime to actually make this solution available to you, right?

So to some degree the phrase "you don´t pay for my time, you pay for my knowledge" applies here.

I found the Oil pressure tables through WinOLS also but didn´t know that you can actually activate them as @carabuser stated.
So if you can find the table and define it, you may try to connect it to the connector and hope that it works.

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
About the hardware cost, you are completely right.
But somebody actually did the R&D about it, figured out how to make it work an implemented this into the MHD app. I guess this took some days of lifetime to get there.
As this product won´t sell millions of times the developer deserves some kind of income or compensation for giving his lifetime to actually make this solution available to you, right?

So to some degree the phrase "you don´t pay for my time, you pay for my knowledge" applies here.

I found the Oil pressure tables through WinOLS also but didn´t know that you can actually activate them as @carabuser stated.
So if you can find the table and define it, you may try to connect it to the connector and hope that it works.
The toggle to enable the sensor is LC_POIL_CTL_ENA. The scaling for the sensor is IP_POIL_V_POIL_REL and the RAM value you'd have to log is just POIL so I could put that into a custom logging file quite easily.

This could be a DIY for someone who wants to just buy the sensor for £30 and wire it into the harness themselves. The connectors from TE are about 10p each.

Looking at the docs for this it does seem that all the logic might already be in place and you just need to adjust the tables in your flash so not sure what the license is for. The min and max pressure tables for the orange warning light is there as KF_POELWARN_MN and KF_POELWARN_MX and the critical one is KF_POELCC_MN.

There's even some logic that BMW put in for oil pressure regulation with a PID that outputs a PWM signal to a oil pressure solenoid valve so this could actually have some use other than monitoring.

It would be interesting to see if the oil pressure is a useful parameter for gauging the health of an engine. Once you get enough users logging it you would be able to build a baseline for what to expect from a stock engine.