Nexsys oil pressure sensor kit

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
Sharing is caring, and it’s almost Christmas, I think you should send me it.
i was close to accidentally making a picture with the code on the card :-D

But yeah. I don´t want to be a grinch. You can have the packaging.. completely for free!! Just shipping.

AshwinLB

Private
Oct 7, 2019
Toronto, Canada
Ride
2010 E82 135i
I installed the kit through the tubing that the stock oil pressure switch used. I did have to destroy the beautiful harness and extend the wires by about 5 inches but now it almost looks like it was installed from factory.

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
I installed the kit through the tubing that the stock oil pressure switch used. I did have to destroy the beautiful harness and extend the wires by about 5 inches but now it almost looks like it was installed from factory.
Can you make some pictures? I am not sure how to route the cable yet.

AshwinLB

Private
Oct 7, 2019
Toronto, Canada
Ride
2010 E82 135i
Can you make some pictures? I am not sure how to route the cable yet.

Hope these help! I circled where the wire comes out in the second picture.

DDD82C07-6CF3-4496-9C2A-67B349D2362B.jpeg

43A5EBF7-E8A8-4F89-9484-40B8815B4313.jpeg

Jern54

Sergeant
Oct 18, 2019
Netherlands
Ride
E91 N54 335i
@bahn I just installed the sensor and I noticed it's a absolute pressure sensor. At a stand still it showed 0.97 bar of oil pressure. During start up it showed 7.38 bar. So actual oil pressure is 7.38 - ambient pressure +/- 1 bar.

Besides of that I can't get it on PSI readings. All the other parameters are on PSI except oil pressure which remains on BAR.

For the rest installation went smoothly.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-12-24-11-32-22-716_com.mhd.flasher.n54.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-12-24-11-32-22-716_com.mhd.flasher.n54.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 36

AshwinLB

Private
Oct 7, 2019
Toronto, Canada
Ride
2010 E82 135i
@bahn I just installed the sensor and I noticed it's a absolute pressure sensor. At a stand still it showed 0.97 bar of oil pressure. During start up it showed 7.38 bar. So actual oil pressure is 7.38 - ambient pressure +/- 1 bar.

Besides of that I can't get it on PSI readings. All the other parameters are on PSI except oil pressure which remains on BAR.

I was having this same issue as well as a few others. I told Austin and he let me know that MHD will be releasing an update very soon

Benjiman

Lurker
May 2, 2021
@bahn or anyone else who knows. Quick question, with this installed, will the red dash light for oil pressure still work as normal or is it disabled?
Basically, if you install this but don't always have the MHD app open and monitoring, would you still get the normal dash warnings should something go wrong?
Thanks and happy New Year everyone :)

AshwinLB

Private
Oct 7, 2019
Toronto, Canada
Ride
2010 E82 135i
@bahn or anyone else who knows. Quick question, with this installed, will the red dash light for oil pressure still work as normal or is it disabled?
Basically, if you install this but don't always have the MHD app open and monitoring, would you still get the normal dash warnings should something go wrong?
Yes you’ll still have the original red warning for critically low oil pressure and you also get a yellow warning for low oil pressure. They’ll work even when mhd is not connected

Reactions: Benjiman

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is

Check out this video at the 9:48 mark for some views in the car with/without MHD app:

It is in a 'demo mode', but you can see the yellow/red dash indications (as well as iDrive) and the rev limiter. MHD app is there to provide the actual pressure value but not for the safety side.

Very cool!

Reactions: Benjiman

seb.apprenti

Corporal
Nov 28, 2018
reunion island
Ride
335 i e92
Hi, I received my kit on Wednesday on Reunion Island.
I installed it Thursday morning.
the kit is really good quality, easy installation despite the difference in language.
I am very satisfied with this purchase

• Informative
Reactions: DirtKurt and Torgus

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT

@bahn Any Feedback on this?

Coupes66

Corporal
Dec 26, 2017
Ride
BMW 335i N54
What oil pressure readings are you guys getting? With an ambient temperature of 31C and engine at running temperature, I am getting 3 Bar at idle and just under 6 Bar cruising at 100kph (62mph). How does that compare with yours?

bahn

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Nov 5, 2016
Iowa

Hey there, when you say at stand still are you referring to with the engine off? If so when/how was the measurement taken? If the engine is running, you are datalogging and then you turn the ignition off MHD will stop logging and you will have the last received value on the gauge. The reading being stuck in bar is a bug on MHD's side. They have released a beta app right now that resolves that and will officially release the update this week still. Let me know how you took that reading and I can look into it further.
Yes the warning lights work independently of the MHD app so you don't need to have it open all the time.
Hi, I received my kit on Wednesday on Reunion Island.
I installed it Thursday morning.
the kit is really good quality, easy installation despite the difference in language.
I am very satisfied with this purchase
Thanks for your support!
Same here, very satisfied. Track day coming up at the end of the month, so timing was perfect.
Thanks for your support!
What oil pressure readings are you guys getting? With an ambient temperature of 31C and engine at running temperature, I am getting 3 Bar at idle and just under 6 Bar cruising at 100kph (62mph). How does that compare with yours?
That sounds typical, oil pressure is very dependent on temperature and RPM. The colder the oil, the higher the pressure. More RPM = higher pressure until the relief valve is hit.

bahn

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Nov 5, 2016
Iowa

I looked into this further, this is normal operation and values above atmospheric pressure are correct. Pressure will read ambient until oil pressure exceeds ambient pressure. This is exactly how the system functions on the N/S55. Here's a log from my 2017 M2 where poel_w is the oil pressure. With the engine off oil pressure remains close to ambient, while cranking the pressure increases past ambient. If you are looking to use our kit to verify oil pressure is primed (after say a rebuild) then just ensure it increases while cranking (this applies to stock N/S55's as well since they operate in the same way). BMW states the minimum oil pressure for the N54 at idle (fully warmed up) is 1.5 bar or 21.75 psi and 4 - 6 bar at higher RPM (again, fully warmed up).
1673464982157.png

Attachments

• 1673464711460.png
    1673464711460.png
    23.8 KB · Views: 20