Nexsys oil pressure sensor kit

bahn

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Nov 5, 2016
Iowa
Good morning all. Lots of comments here so let me start quoting them and going through.

The pricing on this is a money grab. The actual sensor part # is 12617592532, so what they offer is a "cartel style" licensing, (non-nexsys buyers should be able to at least buy a license to DIY) and a harness which would retail less than 15$.
I'm not sure why'd you'd think that. We put the OEM PN right on the sensor. You're paying for the license to apply the assembly level program changes. If you don't like the price you can go spend more ($250+) on a gauge kit that just sits there and spend an hour attaching all the adapters, hoses and running wiring through the firewall. This is far cheaper, cleaner, easier to install and has more features. We also make our harnesses here in the USA from US made TXL wire and use real Raychem. Not trying to start any drama but I really don't understand comments like these.

The toggle to enable the sensor is LC_POIL_CTL_ENA. The scaling for the sensor is IP_POIL_V_POIL_REL and the RAM value you'd have to log is just POIL so I could put that into a custom logging file quite easily.

This could be a DIY for someone who wants to just buy the sensor for £30 and wire it into the harness themselves. The connectors from TE are about 10p each.

Looking at the docs for this it does seem that all the logic might already be in place and you just need to adjust the tables in your flash so not sure what the license is for. The min and max pressure tables for the orange warning light is there as KF_POELWARN_MN and KF_POELWARN_MX and the critical one is KF_POELCC_MN.

There's even some logic that BMW put in for oil pressure regulation with a PID that outputs a PWM signal to a oil pressure solenoid valve so this could actually have some use other than monitoring.

It would be interesting to see if the oil pressure is a useful parameter for gauging the health of an engine. Once you get enough users logging it you would be able to build a baseline for what to expect from a stock engine.
Yeah you'll find that doesn't actually work. This isn't just calibration changes, you can dig through the ASM and find out why. You cannot just plug the sensor in and change a couple of tables, it will not work (but you're welcome to try it).

I allow myself to ask a maybe stupid question...
but what are the correct values for the oil pressure?
It heavily depends on oil temp. When cold at idle you can expect around 50-55psi, fully warmed up at stock idle target ~25psi. At RPM it quickly shoots up to 80-100 depending on oil temp.

Is there already an installation tutorial?
Manual will be released on Monday along with the MHD app update to enable it.

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
The pricing on this is a money grab. The actual sensor part # is 12617592532, so what they offer is a "cartel style" licensing, (non-nexsys buyers should be able to at least buy a license to DIY) and a harness which would retail less than 15$.

Hey guys, I gotta chime in here.

NXM provided us the entirety of program and CAL changes per ROM in order for this to work properly. The license key comes bundled with the hard parts, as that was the vast majority of the work.

On my end, I just integrated the changes into the app and MHD+ compiled codebase. To that end, app and xdfs update coming this week.

jzx_andy

Corporal
May 22, 2019
Perth, Western Australia
Ride
2008 E92 335i 6MT
Ordered.

Would gladly spend $200 for this. The hardware itself is cheap but what I gladly paid for is the ability to log oil pressure and have built in warnings/failsafes, with minimal effort or knowledge needed on my end. This will be great to see if other mods like a sump baffle, accumulator etc are potentially worth the money to an individual n54 owner and their specific use case.

Very few, if any, would know how to work out and properly replicate what NXM have done on the DME/MHD end, and it doesn't cost a fortune. I fail to see how this is a money grab.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Since there is so much headroom on this, I'd suggest you do the work to bring a competing product to market and make the fortune you claim to exist. Best of luck in your endeavor - we'll all cheer when you put your money where your mouth is!

Sausage

Private
Jul 12, 2022
Thank you for the work you have put into this. It's great for flash only tuners who want to stick with that.

But 200 bucks is a third of a Motiv Reflex. If you already have a Reflex, or planning to buy one, do that and hookup a generic sensor to the Reflex. Your tuner will be able to implement more and better failsaves.

As for pricing; It's an open market. Anyone may ask anything they want for thier product. If you buy it, it's upto you. But if the MHD license is not seperatly available, then that is wrong (and probably illegal) indeed.

Reactions: AzNdevil

Asmo

Private
Aug 23, 2020
Since there is so much headroom on this, I'd suggest you do the work to bring a competing product to market and make the fortune you claim to exist. Best of luck in your endeavor - we'll all cheer when you put your money where your mouth is!
Thank you for your kind words Filippo, trust me, it would just be too easy to put some money on such a product and offer it for way much less, but it won't be supported by MHD as we have no option to buy the license separately, you have to go the NXM route. So no, we're not given the option to put our money where our mouth is, even for DIY.

I'm not sure why'd you'd think that. We put the OEM PN right on the sensor. You're paying for the license to apply the assembly level program changes. If you don't like the price you can go spend more ($250+) on a gauge kit that just sits there and spend an hour attaching all the adapters, hoses and running wiring through the firewall. This is far cheaper, cleaner, easier to install and has more features. We also make our harnesses here in the USA from US made TXL wire and use real Raychem. Not trying to start any drama but I really don't understand comments like these.

Sell the license separately, let the user decide what they are using for hardware. Same as the flex fuel option. One can buy a pre-made kit and use it. Another one can buy the license, buy a gm ethanol sensor, code an mcu (e.g. arduino) to translate the frequency to pwm and have a working solution.

Same thing you did with another great product, the b58 coil kit, even though there was no license requirement on that.

The average joe will still buy the complete kit, while tech joes will work out their own. No drama, everyone happy.

Thank you for the work you have put into this. It's great for flash only tuners who want to stick with that.

But 200 bucks is a third of a Motiv Reflex. If you already have a Reflex, or planning to buy one, do that and hookup a generic sensor to the Reflex. Your tuner will be able to implement more and better failsaves.

As for pricing; It's an open market. Anyone may ask anything they want for thier product. If you buy it, it's upto you. But if the MHD license is not seperatly available, then that is wrong (and probably illegal) indeed.

I wouldn't call this legal or illegal, it's just cartel style practise. We are even able to emulate the reflex can channels if we wanted but we are forced buying a complete product solution in order to acquire the license to use our own hardware, from a third party.

Last edited:

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
I agree that the use of an additional license is a strange direction. It's the only way of ensuring a decent profit margin though and the profit is what drives the innovation. A more honest model would be to make the license available separately.

The kit itself is really well thought out, it's as close to OE as you can get, bahn is using the genuine TE connectors and heatshrink.

Reactions: Asmo

bahn

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Nov 5, 2016
Iowa
I think you guys are jumping to conclusions here on the licensing (especially calling it cartel & illegal). The licenses will be available separately they just aren't on my website yet. I was going to make them available independently for supporting a second hand market since MHD licenses are tied to the vehicle (hence why they are not on the website yet). I'm not sure why you'd want to use a different sensor though as you'll find it's hard to source one in the appropriate thread without using adapters. I guess some people like to spend more money in the long run than just buying the complete kit?

seb.apprenti

Corporal
Nov 28, 2018
reunion island
Ride
335 i e92
I don't understand some reviews.
the n54 has existed since 2006... end of 2022, nexsys is the only one to offer this option with an OEM assembly.
so in 16 years, they are the only ones across all the continents to have done it... he offers his kit at 200 dollars.
it is obvious that the cost price of the kit is much lower than that, but there must have been a lot of research and development time.
Buying the kit won't make this company rich, but it will surely support it and perhaps help it develop other products.
for those who find it too expensive ... do not buy it and do it yourself.
congratulations to nexsys

Asmo

Private
Aug 23, 2020
I think you guys are jumping to conclusions here on the licensing (especially calling it cartel & illegal). The licenses will be available separately they just aren't on my website yet. I was going to make them available independently for supporting a second hand market since MHD licenses are tied to the vehicle (hence why they are not on the website yet). I'm not sure why you'd want to use a different sensor though as you'll find it's hard to source one in the appropriate thread without using adapters. I guess some people like to spend more money in the long run than just buying the complete kit?
All good, it doesn't matter if you planned it before and I jumped to conclusions or you changed your mind now. That's the right thing to do.
I don't understand some reviews.
the n54 has existed since 2006... end of 2022, nexsys is the only one to offer this option with an OEM assembly.
so in 16 years, they are the only ones across all the continents to have done it... he offers his kit at 200 dollars.
it is obvious that the cost price of the kit is much lower than that, but there must have been a lot of research and development time.
Buying the kit won't make this company rich, but it will surely support it and perhaps help it develop other products.
for those who find it too expensive ... do not buy it and do it yourself.
congratulations to nexsys
Nobody cares about the price, anyone can set any price for their product and every buyer choose what he is willing to pay. What I mentioned is what appeared to be a wrong practice. End of drama.

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
yeah..Merry Christmas.. to me :-D

IMG_2873.jpg