My DCT conversion to M3 GWS/FLASH

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
That sounds like the normal M3 LC activation, what is different?

The lack of "power" enabled (this is always required in the vid's I've watched of M3 LC)
And the application of the brake (not in the vid's I've watched of M3 LC)

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
So I also got all the menu options available in the MDrive menu, but only the ShiftLogic setting sticks. Everything else I can now drill into and make a selection (power, dsc, and servologic), but the setting doesn't stick. I had to add a couple coding options:

CIC:
DSC_Menu
AKTIV

JBB:
Servologic
AKTIV

Adding those two options activated the rest of the MDrive menus. I need to find the module to code the steeringwheel buttons next. I do believe coding the "M" button on the steeringwheel is the last step there to.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
So I also got all the menu options available in the MDrive menu, but only the ShiftLogic setting sticks. Everything else I can now drill into and make a selection (power, dsc, and servologic), but the setting doesn't stick. I had to add a couple coding options:

CIC:
DSC_Menu
AKTIV

JBB:
Servologic
AKTIV

Adding those two options activated the rest of the MDrive menus. I need to find the module to code the steeringwheel buttons next. I do believe coding the "M" button on the steeringwheel is the last step there to.

Adding the Servologic enabled the menus but now I get a servologic error on the check control because......I don't have the hardware hahaha. So I'm going to turn that off.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Adding the Servologic enabled the menus but now I get a servologic error on the check control because......I don't have the hardware hahaha. So I'm going to turn that off.

Its time you participate here then perhaps: https://bmw.spoolstreet.com/threads/servotronic-on-a-335i.1400/

I have a small cable guide arriving today and my servotronic install will be complete. I can finish it now but I wanted the little plastic piece the wire clips into.

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
The lack of "power" enabled (this is always required in the vid's I've watched of M3 LC)
And the application of the brake (not in the vid's I've watched of M3 LC)
Wonder if it's a hold over from 335is LC. I always held the brake to activate on M, so maybe I missed it. It's not exactly flat out here and if you're rolling at all, it won't allow LC. After you're on the accelerator, can release the brake and it could roll a mile downhill on the LC until you release the shifter.

Never dug that far into it on the M, but wondering if the "power" button isn't much more than a pin trigger to flag mode enables or enable the EDC button or both? Not sure what actually connects to it.

Either way, making great progress...

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009

CIC:
DSC_Menu
AKTIV

JBB:
Servologic
AKTIV

The button changed on mine when I coded the CIC

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Wonder if it's a hold over from 335is LC. I always held the brake to activate on M, so maybe I missed it. It's not exactly flat out here and if you're rolling at all, it won't allow LC. After you're on the accelerator, can release the brake and it could roll a mile downhill on the LC until you release the shifter.

Never dug that far into it on the M, but wondering if the "power" button isn't much more than a pin trigger to flag mode enables or enable the EDC button or both? Not sure what actually connects to it.

Either way, making great progress...

I wonder if holding the ebrake would keep the car in place so launch control will activate? Isn't that a thing with the M, the car stays still unless the pedal is pressed

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
@dyezak did all this happen before you made changes to your CIC? I’m wondering if that made a difference?

It’s hard to tell what’s changed here but if I’m easing correctly the LC worked when the CIC menus weren’t there. Now that they are something is amiss..

Also servotronic I could code to my CIC without any coding on the JB

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Ive had a look at one video of m3 LC and it made no mention of power mode...ive been looking around and i found a comment ages ago on m3 post from an experienced m3 owner (ill link if @doublespaces is ok with that) that’s says AND I QUOTE
“Pushing the power button is optional. It will still launch with that off”

So basically Drivelogic lvl 6, DSC off, shift lever forward and push past the detent on the pedal are the prerequisites for LC in an M3. It all makes sense. DSC off to access race mode(level 6) tell the gearbox you intend to launch by holding shift lever forward, tell the engine that you want to build revs by accelerating past the detent.

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
I wonder if holding the ebrake would keep the car in place so launch control will activate? Isn't that a thing with the M, the car stays still unless the pedal is pressed
E brake might work, but need to get to kickdown without the car moving. Yep, neutral until you touch the gas pedal. Total nightmare in 5-10 miles of stop and go/inching along traffic every day.

LMB335is

Sergeant
Apr 12, 2017
FOB FL
Ride
13 335is

CIC:
DSC_Menu
AKTIV

JBB:
Servologic
AKTIV

I'm going to leave this link here. I went through this stuff extensively a few months back enabling M Drive and MDM on a base 2008 M3 without I drive. MDM, rather Euro MDM, was just a couple coding parameters in the DSC module MK60_M3.C08, US_VEHICLE and MDYNAMIC_MODE_USA, both of which are reset to nicht aktiv. I'm eager to try a M3 DSC module on my car to see if it will work error free. To enable M Drive on a early M3, pre 2011.5, besides changing the VO, which we're doing by adding $2MD, you have to change the clock spring to a M Drive clockspring. I don't know what the internal differences are but that is the only way I've seen it done. No coding was necessary or possible with the steering controls as far as I have ever seen. I believe its hard coded. Just having the M menus in my CIC has disabled the entertainment source button and it does nothing now with the entertainment source function moving to the recirc button. Whether you have the "M" button or not makes no difference, it just looks cool. If M drive is really functional you should get a green M symbol in the dash, at least on the M3 cluster, 335is cluster I'm not so sure.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=676825

Reactions: boostE92d

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
KOMBI coding was required for shift logic. There are other features to MDrive that are also KOMBI related that ours physically doesn’t have the capability for. Shift lights and the green MMode light.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
800FE4BF-8E20-4023-BA08-5445AFAA7B13.png DEE44A00-B9C7-437E-87BE-25E1E026C495.jpeg I used to think the same and ive changed my mind. I now think that the modules can operate independently as long as the JB is coded correctly for the features. I think this because the only place that the CAN networks intersect is in the JB. Ill dig up the diagram im sure you guys have seen before showing the various networks in the car. They do intersect in other modules but its a “nerve centre” for the car.

I think that the KOMBI is just a display. I think that if you were to recode your KOMBI back to stock that drivelogic would still work. I bet that The only problem (besides some minor codes) would be that you wont know which drivelogic mode youre in or gear. That would go away if your CIC worked(not the codes, the display) Proof of the pudding is that your M3 drivelogic works without the M3 cluster. I think the M button on the steering wheel would otherwise work because ultimately all human interface commands seem to be distributed through the JB.
For the same reason i dont think the KOMBI is necessary for M Drive. It’s a DSC calibration. Why would BMW make something that is essentially a safety feature dependant on a display unit?

It’s just my theory...

Last edited: