My DCT conversion to M3 GWS/FLASH

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Awesome, subscribing!

If I missed it, when you go to manual mode 6, does the stalk have any control over the launch control RPM? Might be too much to hope for, but really surprised it went this far with just GWS change, flash and coding. Please post the VO options that were added.

Curious what your tranny temps get to on the GTS flash and hard driving...

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Hey @RSL
LC isn’t available with this as yet because we need power mode PID to come from the DME. @dyezak is going to spoof it with an arduino though... stay tuned

Last edited:

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Nice. Even this much is enough for me to jump on it. So awesome the modes work.

Anyone who hasn't driven an M DCT doesn't know, but you'd never even think they were the same tranny. Even a decently tweaked 335is DCT is no comparison. OP isn't kidding when he says night and day difference.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
I'll be trying to figure out how to set the following two flags on the PT_CAN bus next:

Address 0x399 byte 2, bits 4-7 Decimal Value 1 is off, 2 is M-Power
Address 0x399 byte 1, bits 0 and 1. 1 is off, 2 is M-Drive

Setting those two flags should enable this setup to enter Launch Control. I've got an arduino and a CAN shield...I'll try that first.

Reactions: aus335iguy

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
I’ve asked the peeps in the CIC hacking thread if they can help in any way. If they can put doom on the thing they can make it make popcorn .... in the meantime stick with it bud... nearly there!

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2
This is ridiculously awesome. Thanks for sharing your work. Fingers are crossed everything works normal with the stock dct diff.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
I just enabled fully adjustable launch control on my M3 GTS flash. That's right, I was able to control my launch RPM with my cruise control stalk just like an M3 on the fly. Did it twice, then couldn't get it engaged again for a video :-/ So I've got work to do but the future is bright!

Oh yea...and M3 launch control is with DSC fully disabled, not just partially disabled like in the 335is. That means when I let go of the shift lever and launched at 3500rpm I had one hell of a ride.

LMB335is

Sergeant
Apr 12, 2017
FOB FL
Ride
13 335is
I just enabled fully adjustable launch control on my M3 GTS flash. That's right, I was able to control my launch RPM with my cruise control stalk just like an M3 on the fly. Did it twice, then couldn't get it engaged again for a video :-/ So I've got work to do but the future is bright!

Oh yea...and M3 launch control is with DSC fully disabled, not just partially disabled like in the 335is. That means when I let go of the shift lever and launched at 3500rpm I had one hell of a ride.
That's fantastic! Using your arduino?

Reactions: musc

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
3500rpm is lower than I'd expect, good deal. What is the engagement point, neutral until accel is pushed like the M or just letting off the brake like the 335is?

Keen to try it on the stock 2.56 and with no plans to change the diff. WOT shouldn't be too difficult to try to work around via tune, but any logs/vids of up/down/rev-match shifts before you do the diff swap would be great.

Reactions: doublespaces

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Could it be that the TCU doesnt need the actual can values for LC but just needs shifter position, traction control off and throttle down?

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Could it be that the TCU doesnt need the actual can values for LC but just needs shifter position, traction control off and throttle down?

I don't think so. I think something fucky is going on. But the good news with something fucky is that we should be able to reproduce the situation/variables and force LC to come on at will.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
So I got it to go again a few more times. I'm begenning to wonder if the M3 GTS ZB doesn't lend itself to a different launch control than the normal M3. Because the setup that gets it to work for me is:

M mode
Drivelogic 6
DSC Completely Off
Foot on Brake
Press shift lever forward until LC engaged
Floor the accelerator past the detent
release the brake then the shift lever

• Informative
Reactions: doublespaces