MOTIV RE|FLEX - ADVANCED I/O INTEGRATION

shushikiary

Sergeant
Jun 4, 2018
Ride
335xi
Lots of information but I disagree with this 👆 statement, I am no programmer but this would just be plain impractical bordering on idiotic to require constant logging to get something as critical as this to function properly. If this turns out to be as suggested what will happen when you logging device (laptop or computer) battery dies during a WOT pull?

It seems you don't realize it but now you're asking exactly the question I originally asked when you responded.

I'm interested to know exactly what they are doing so that we know what is needed and what/how things will work.

Just because something has trade offs doesn't mean someone won't do it. They COULD do it that way, and one of the trade offs is exactly what you just mentioned, and why I was asking about it. For them it would cost way less to develop, and sometimes being first to market is more important than the other aspects of the design.

Apple is classic for doing this kind of stuff. They make a choice on how something should be done because they think they know better than the user, then tell the user "you WILL like this!" and I'm sitting here going (with you) "why in the hell would you do that?!"

I was never advocating that they do it the MHD driven way, just exploring the out comes and trade offs of IF they do it that way. Separating ones self from an idea when exploring it is KEY to design, else you entrap your self in being attached to something for a non logical reason (i.e. it's YOUR idea), even though maybe it wasn't such a good idea.

So the question was to try to figure out HOW they are going to do it. There are hints that it's DME based all around for the B58, but given the MSD80/81 does not support CAN bus integration yet, we don't know how they will do it. Hopefully they will do it similarly to what appears to be how they did it for the B58 DME's.

So while it's WAY more development work, and makes them much later to market, I agree with you that I hope they DON'T do it the MHD driven way.

Reactions: 9krpmrx8

Dumaurier7

Lieutenant
May 19, 2020
Recieved my ReFlex last 2 days ago, it appears to be the version 1! I really wondered howcome they did not charge me extra before shipping.

volume

Jul 14, 2021
Interested in how you'd go about integrating this with dual LPFP setups that currently use hobbs switch setups?

ideally what? ethanol content adjusted and lpfp's controlled by the reflex? no ekp heat issues? no need for bpm4 if running 2x 525's for example?

Dumaurier7

Lieutenant
May 19, 2020
Interested in how you'd go about integrating this with dual LPFP setups that currently use hobbs switch setups?

ideally what? ethanol content adjusted and lpfp's controlled by the reflex? no ekp heat issues? no need for bpm4 if running 2x 525's for example?
This controller can only switch a second pump on or off but it cannot adjust pump speed like the DME can. It eliminates the need for a hobbs switch, if direct control (as per design) is wanted a bpm4 is the way to go, this is the route I choose. Adjustment for ethanol content is done through varying injector pulse width, the greater the content the longer the injector pulse width required because more ethanol is needed to make the power so the ReFlex will adjust its pulse width sent to the port injectors whilst simultaneously sharing the 'E content" information with the DME which will also cause it to make similar adjustments once the required custom programming is done through a custom map.

Last edited:

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
Yes, but if the MHD app is the one sending the control signals (which is sounds like it may be in some cases) it's connection is often wifi, so that needs to be taken into account.

Having now also looked at the XDF's they give you for the boost box, it for sure has its own PID and target boost levels, so it's like an EBC, but has better control than an EBC. Though no adjustment for charge air temp is taken into consideration, and so the ecu target boost level for throttle control needs to be properly dealt with or else at cold temps you could see throttle closures.

I noticed they also had a feed forward for the PID, which can often times be VERY useful in getting rid of oscillations in a PID setup, or can be used for things like hitting target error quickly.... aka they may end up using the PID feed forward to help spool times.

For F series car where we have ReFlex integration already, it is all over the CANBUS. You flash the DME once w/ the logic, and that's it. You don't need to have the wifi adapter plugged in / app running, etc. It is all code running on the DME communicating directly back and forth w/ the ReFlex.

Other platforms will receive the same.

Dumaurier7

Lieutenant
May 19, 2020
For F series car where we have ReFlex integration already, it is all over the CANBUS. You flash the DME once w/ the logic, and that's it. You don't need to have the wifi adapter plugged in / app running, etc. It is all code running on the DME communicating directly back and forth w/ the ReFlex.

Other platforms will receive the same.
When will the DME be able to directly adjust fueling through the ReFlex?

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
F series M235..... :disappointed:

TBH, the current level of ReFlex integration has been working extremely well across many builds. If you find yourself needing to adjust the ReFlex PI map very often, I would talk w/ Chris @ Motiv and see if you can set it up any better. Should hold you over for now at least :)

Reactions: Dumaurier7

Dumaurier7

Lieutenant
May 19, 2020
As of now I have finished the install and i'm presently getting familiar with TunerPro to verify its (ReFlex) functioning correctly.

Last edited:
Reactions: houtan

Dumaurier7

Lieutenant
May 19, 2020
Success! reflex installed without issue and functionality verified via Tuner pro rt, coming out of it have 2 tips; The first is to verify the pin count properly, I found this diagram online which helped greatly! Notice the positions of pins #1 and #2!

Cjyt2n4q.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: houtan and Jeffman

Dumaurier7

Lieutenant
May 19, 2020
...... And second, In order to get he dashboard in Tuner Pro to work properly the ADX file MUST be loaded! I was scratching my head for a while then I noticed that the ADX was not listed along the top of the screen with the bin and XDF files.

Last edited:

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2
E content sensor and low pressure fuel sensor installed on manifold before install!

Thanks for the updates.

Finally, a way to get lp fuel pressure (for N55s)!

where does that go on the manifold? It looks like it could go inline with the stock fuel line.

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
...... And second! In order to get he dashboard in Tuner Pro to work properly the ADX file MUST be loaded! I was scratching my head for a while then I noticed that the ADX was not listed along the top of the screen with the bin and XDF files.

The BIN is the "tune" file itself in raw form, the XDF is like a map to the tables in the BIN (tune) so you can make sense of things, and the ADX is like a map of the communications protocol for the car, it allows you to communicate with the hardware, live tune, datalog and other things that we generally don't utilize on this platform due to limitations.

Dumaurier7

Lieutenant
May 19, 2020
Thanks for the updates.

Finally, a way to get lp fuel pressure (for N55s)!

where does that go on the manifold? It looks like it could go inline with the stock fuel line.
No problem!

This is the option I choose.........an existing metal bracket under the drivers foot well (Left side of vehicle) utilizing an existing hole for securing with a single bolt , it all fits. I went with the manifold because the bore of an E sensor is small which would negate or possibly negatively affect my fuel system upgrades thus far . The manifold allows the sensor to sample whilst maintain the -6an bore and flow whilst providing a place to mount the sensor and easy access points for any future fuel system modifications.
16268031903532910798623246271202.jpg
16268032215006466664863303082460.jpg

Last edited:

Dumaurier7

Lieutenant
May 19, 2020
All I have to do now is splice into my fuel line ( I have a PR fuel line upgrade :sunglasses: ) And connect the sensors.

Last edited:

Dumaurier7

Lieutenant
May 19, 2020
Done, For me the hardest part is getting those push lock fittings into the hoses with them still attached to the car :disrelieved: .......which brings me to my Third tip. Use a cop of hot (just out of the kettle!) Water to soften the hoses, if more experienced a heat gun could be your friend, Just remember you'll be introducing 2 sides of the fire triangle with the gun! (Heat and oxygen) So be very careful!

Last edited: