MEVD17.2 emulation in development

LamboLover

Corporal
Apr 6, 2017
Ride
Everything
There are ten pairs of new tables being blended with three different blending tables. The blending tables take input from another scaling table which takes input from any variable you like. This could be an ethanol content analyzer or another controller into a spare pin, a switch or a custom variable programmed through the CAN bus.

The ten pairs of tables cover fuel & timing (including spool modes), fuel correction/injector scaling, cold and after start enrichment, load/torque. The new tables are additional to the originals and you can switch between them.

Over the next week I'll be unit testing them on the bench.

If there are any queries or other ideas, please say!

Sbrach

Corporal
Oct 2, 2017
Ride
N55 DCT E82
Wow. Great work.

Are any of the boost/wg tables going to be accessible live as well? PID would be a lot easier to tune live I would think.

Reactions: LamboLover

LamboLover

Corporal
Apr 6, 2017
Ride
Everything
Yes, but flex fuel tends to replace map switching as otherwise it could get confusing to explain to the tuner and user. For example, I made 27 switchable maps with realtime on a previous ECU as that was the memory available. I reduced it to a max of 9 and a more typical 2 to 5. I love overkill as much as anyone, but things have to be useful and practical.

There is already a form of map switching related to combinations of DSC, sport mode, DCT mode but it is quite complicated to explain to tuners never mind drivers.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
There is already a form of map switching related to combinations of DSC, sport mode, DCT mode but it is quite complicated to explain to tuners never mind drivers.

This has been developed or already existing from the factory?

LamboLover

Corporal
Apr 6, 2017
Ride
Everything
Factory. However, a manual car only has DSC on and DSC off variants. You can actually feel the torque drop slightly when you turn DSC off and hold a steady pedal.

• Informative
Reactions: doublespaces

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Factory. However, a manual car only has DSC on and DSC off variants. You can actually feel the torque drop slightly when you turn DSC off and hold a steady pedal.

Very interesting. Is there any development going into making this a more distinct feature or this concept is being left to flex fuel?

I have a heated steering wheel button, I wonder if that can be re-purposed somehow.

LamboLover

Corporal
Apr 6, 2017
Ride
Everything
The xdf could have the DSC on/off scalings added and keep it a simple setup, but I never really valued map switching, it was more a by product of realtime mapping.

The heated steering wheel button if it appears as a variable in the DME can be used, more difficult but possible would be to use it if it appears in a CAN packet the DME could be made to read (everything is not seen by every device on every bus), but generally you would want to use switching that all models have.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
The xdf could have the DSC on/off scalings added and keep it a simple setup, but I never really valued map switching, it was more a by product of realtime mapping.

The heated steering wheel button if it appears as a variable in the DME can be used, more difficult but possible would be to use it if it appears in a CAN packet the DME could be made to read (everything is not seen by every device on every bus), but generally you would want to use switching that all models have.

Well I don't really know what real-time mapping is capable of, but it seems incredibly powerful. I suppose I'll see soon enough.

LamboLover

Corporal
Apr 6, 2017
Ride
Everything
Realtime mapping is testing tuning changes without flashing like a standalone. Map switching, flex fuel, custom inputs are all other things but I have been combining them. It will have taken a year full time to get to the first in car test I think. I don't expect to recoup a fraction of that on N55. However, might do with other Bosch MED17/EDC17 later. Mostly I love this stuff and now have time to do it.