K&P Engineering High Performance Stainless Steel Micronic Oil Filter

What kind of oil filter do you use? Diposable Paper or stainless steel?

• Disposable paper filter (Mann, etc.)

Votes: 36 85.7%
  • Stainless Steel (K&P Engineering High Performance Stainless Steel Micronic Oil Filter)

Votes: 6 14.3%

• Total voters

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
Ok folks... I ordered the fancy pants filter as well as the cts billet finned oil housing cap. I will report on ANY difference in oil temperature and or power delivery after the next change.

Currently oil temps are nominal 189°F to 199°F. Heavy driving in traffic or WOT yields 212°F maximum. If there are any improvements, we will all see in both situations. Stay tuned for end of month report.

How are you getting these oils temps? I have factory oil cooler and MHD sport mode for coolant temp.
I sit at 240°F without even trying.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
How are you getting these oils temps? I have factory oil cooler and MHD sport mode for coolant temp.
Me too it's been 95 to 100 past few days and just one pull to 160 on way home has me at 245 to 250 my car stays solid their never goes higher but gets to 240 very quick, I'm on stock tables now , when i was on sport i sat closer to 220 to 230 but spirited driving still brought me to 245 to 250 so id rather boil all the crap out of my oil.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
I also bought the fin cap cause i wanted a metal one and bought the stainless filter out of curiosity plus I'm looking to upgrade my oil cooler so if i can offset the drop in flow i like the idea i think this filter with bypass setup would be best but for performance driving i wouldn't be able to go over 5k intervals. I had a bypass filtet setup on a diesel pickup that was cool but i wasn't who installed it

Last edited:

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93

I have the Dinan oil Cooler, Dinan Intercooler, upgraded cfs aluminum radiator. MHD normal coolant option.

This is coolant, not oil temps. Oil temps should be nominal 238°F and maxed out WOT 248°F heavy traffic.

VT.

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
Got it... That makes more sense to me.

I also like the idea for this filter and the pressure reduction. Not sure if it means anything but it hits the "good idea" spot.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
I have the Dinan oil Cooler, Dinan Intercooler, upgraded cfs aluminum radiator. MHD normal coolant option.

This is coolant, not oil temps. Oil temps should be nominal 238°F and maxed out WOT 248°F heavy traffic.

VT.
Are you having difficulty getting up to temp and if your auto what are you tranny temps i know some have posted that they have issues getting up to temp even with stock thermostat.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Are you having difficulty getting up to temp and if your auto what are you tranny temps i know some have posted that they have issues getting up to temp even with stock thermostat.

With a propulsive dynamics transmission and deleted stock heat exhange replaced with setrab cooler and fans, it takes considerably longer to get up to transmission temps. I just drive normal for longer until temps get up to 135 and over.

Normal temps for ATF for me with my setup are 165F to 179F nominal and 185 to 195F under traffic and heavy driving.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
I also bought the fin cap cause i wanted a metal one and bought the stainless filter out of curiosity plus I'm looking to upgrade my oil cooler so if i can offset the drop in flow i like the idea i think this filter with bypass setup would be best but for performance driving i wouldn't be able to go over 5k intervals. I had a bypass filtet setup on a diesel pickup that was cool but i wasn't who installed it

I noticed a performance increase the first time I did an engine flush and then changed oil and filter first for 100 miles then another oil change plus a can of ceratec after the 100 miles. The car felt more responsive and smoother and I got better gas mileage.

I have done ceratec at every change from that point but this time I will not use it and only do a change with normal bmw oil with this fancy filter and finned cap. We will see if any improvements are gained.

It is not scientific at all but I have this tiny suspicion that ceratec is not good to use at every oil change...just a hunch after a whole year of using it. I don't know if it's related to spark plugs or sensors...but something is afoot...after this oil change I will record the entire interval including temps, mpg, and any faults.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I'm told Motul 300V will actually run at a lower temp than most other oils. It is extensively used in road course racing. I plan to give it a try next change.

Filippo

Reactions: matreyia

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
I'm told Motul 300V will actually run at a lower temp than most other oils. It is extensively used in road course racing. I plan to give it a try next change.

Filippo

Anyone using anything and having long term experience with the product is welcomed data. We get so many people jumping after a new oil change and saying miraculous things that could not possibly be proven because they just changed it and haven't recorded any differences. So I look forward to your acute observations after an entire interval. If the oil is good and you notice better temps and/or smoother revs or response, I will gladly switch to it. Looking forward to your records.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Anyone using anything and having long term experience with the product is welcomed data. We get so many people jumping after a new oil change and saying miraculous things that could not possibly be proven because they just changed it and haven't recorded any differences. So I look forward to your acute observations after an entire interval. If the oil is good and you notice better temps and/or smoother revs or response, I will gladly switch to it. Looking forward to your records.
@barry@3DM , if I recall, ran it in Grand Am. Lots of teams did, even rebottling it in sponsor-labeled bottles :). If I recall correctly he saw 20 degree temp differences. Glad to report when I switch.

Filippo

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
@barry@3DM , if I recall, ran it in Grand Am. Lots of teams did, even rebottling it in sponsor-labeled bottles :). If I recall correctly he saw 20 degree temp differences. Glad to report when I switch.

Filippo

I got distracted and decided to youtube motul...after a shit load of videos, it seems that their claims are very high. I would be interested in doing an engine flush, then bmw oil with regular filter, drive for one tank of gas, then change oil to motul with the new fancy pants filter and the finned cap.

They say it is expensive compared to the bmw oil...which is already expensive. And they say you have to change oil in 3k miles...like in the old days. Damn...talk about a money pit growing even deeper with these cars.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I got distracted and decided to youtube motul...after a shit load of videos, it seems that their claims are very high.
Another alternative, just do a LiquiMoly Engine Flush - add to your existing oil right before your oil change, follow instructions: https://www.amazon.com/Liqui-Moly-2037-Pro-Line-Engine/dp/B00CR3RXTO/

<updated from 300V which does not have detergent packages most would want for street cars. For regular use suggest the following>
https://www.motul.com/us/en-US/products/8100-x-cess-5w40

Filippo

Last edited:

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Another alternative, just do a LiquiMoly Engine Flush - add to your existing oil right before your oil change, follow instructions: https://www.amazon.com/Liqui-Moly-2037-Pro-Line-Engine/dp/B00CR3RXTO/

Motul 300V is not cheap but not ridiculous: https://www.amazon.com/Motul-300V-Synthetic-Motor-Oil/dp/B00IKCYFJ2/

Filippo

I ordered a set from FCP Euro...that's the last MOTUL set I have to buy... I totally forgot they also have lifetime warranty for oils as long as you pack it in the original cans. Woohooo!!! Not only that, but I also got my 'BMW Flush Set' for only shipping cost because I found my original FCP euro invoice for the original bmw oil kit I ordered last year. So I am only paying for the Motul and getting a free kit of the bmw oil...problem solved.

Oh, I also used LM Engine Flush multiple times and I really see that it does work in cleaning the engine. So this time, definitely doing a final flush and then one tank of gas with new bmw oil and stock filter...then changing over to Motul and fancy pants metal filter and finned cap. Yeeeehaaaw!!! I dudn't lost my damn mind all up in here!

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Too bad your not driving a Mustang GT 5.0 ... this oil change would give you +35hp :tonguewink:

Filippo

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Too bad your not driving a Mustang GT 5.0 ... this oil change would give you +35hp :tonguewink:

Filippo

Probably even more on the Coyote, those things can smoke any LS2JZ straight from the factory bro!

All joking aside, I really wish oil-related things weren't the weakest point of my car knowledge. I've been doing more reading on it all in the past year than the rest of my life combined but there's so much information with a lot of it conflicting or being anecdotal that it makes the already convoluted tuning scenes even more annoying sometimes lol. I'm inclined to agree that the finned oil cap won't do much of anything for cooling (although I'd also like one for convenience sake) and really have no idea on why a filter like this wouldn't be used on high performance applications if it was as good as claimed, but I'm open to and hoping to be wrong.

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
Probably even more on the Coyote, those things can smoke any LS2JZ straight from the factory bro!

All joking aside, I really wish oil-related things weren't the weakest point of my car knowledge. I've been doing more reading on it all in the past year than the rest of my life combined but there's so much information with a lot of it conflicting or being anecdotal that it makes the already convoluted tuning scenes even more annoying sometimes lol. I'm inclined to agree that the finned oil cap won't do much of anything for cooling (although I'd also like one for convenience sake) and really have no idea on why a filter like this wouldn't be used on high performance applications if it was as good as claimed, but I'm open to and hoping to be wrong.

Well.... That are used in high performance applications. Just often not is street driven cars.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93

I got the finned cap for the durability and look. I don't expect any temperature difference at all. I hope to see some engine revving and response difference though from the steel filter and motul oil. I will definite report so you will see at least two reviews of motul of soon.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Oh, I also used LM Engine Flush multiple times and I really see that it does work in cleaning the engine.
I’ve never used an engine flush and looked up what’s in them. According to the material safety data sheet (MSDS) for an LM flush product, it’s like 60-100% C10-C13 Alkane solvent with a few additives. So you’re basically adding 500cc gasoline to your engine for 10 minutes to thin out and dissolve the gunk before doing an oil change. Brilliant!

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
I’ve never used an engine flush and looked up what’s in them. According to the material safety data sheet (MSDS) for an LM flush product, it’s like 60-100% C10-C13 Alkane solvent with a few additives. So you’re basically adding 500cc gasoline to your engine for 10 minutes to thin out and dissolve the gunk before doing an oil change. Brilliant!

Yep. And it works great. Just make sure to change oil then drive with new oil then change oil a second time. Otherwise the oil from one post cleanse procedure will be contaminated from remnant LM Engine Flush and will break down too soon for safe full interval.