K&P Engineering High Performance Stainless Steel Micronic Oil Filter

What kind of oil filter do you use? Diposable Paper or stainless steel?

• Disposable paper filter (Mann, etc.)

Votes: 36 85.7%
  • Stainless Steel (K&P Engineering High Performance Stainless Steel Micronic Oil Filter)

Votes: 6 14.3%

• Total voters

135boost

Corporal
Oct 28, 2017
Finland
Ride
135is
I have a few micron dust collection system in my guitar building shop. It has a 36"x30" or so pleated cannister filters. Periodically I have to clean it out. I can see the dust because a lot of my wood colors are dark exotic hardwoods. Let me tell you, with a hose I spend 30 minutes getting to where the water comes out clean. I'm unconvinced that the K&P filter gets cleaned they way they do it.

If I had this filter, I'd consider buying a gallon of acetone, putting it in a sealed container (like a paint can), and dunking the the filter in there, where I could vigorously shake it. A better solution would be something that screws to the filter and lets you push fluid from inside out (like a large syringe/plunger).

The issue with the spray approach the video shows, you will get no spray force on the filter to dislodge metal particles, and you can't reach the top 20-30% of the filter from the inside. With my dust system I can get right on the inside of the pleats with a high-pressure water hose. That's what it takes ...

I like the magnet, though.

Filippo

I fully agree with filippos statment that cleaning on that way does not do the job.
My profession is with hydraulics and there these kind of metallic mesh (not as fine as this) has
always been outperformed with paper or glassfiber reinforced paper units so my vote is going for stock, 50-90% of metallic partickels on these kind of engine is not magnetic before engine
seize, nornal bearing lead copper or aluminium so the magnet is doing only part of the job,
nice feature othervice and better than none.

screaminfast

Sergeant
Feb 18, 2017
Rochester NY
mikecentola.com
Ride
07 SG/CR 335i / 17 X6 x35i
I change my oil every 3000 miles. I dont see how HP would effect oil pressure either but i've seen stranger things. Could be my dual oil cooler set up as well. I don't know whats causing my paper filters to crush in, I just know they are for whatever reason. I've seen it happen to others as well.

Are you running series or parallel for your oil coolers?

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
This reminds me of an important point. Anyone operating an auxiliary oil cooler will want to minimize filter back pressure to maximize oil flow, especially when operating oil coolers in series where the flow resistance will be greatest. So a stainless steel filter like the one discussed in this thread may be a really good idea to improve oil cooling, especially for those who use an auxiliary oil cooler and track their cars.

Reactions: screaminfast

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
I like the idea of the of the pressure loss being so small with this filter, but I can't help but think how much I will hate cleaning it. And that is assuming I haven't let my cans of spray solvent get used up and realize only too late that I don't have enough.

screaminfast

Sergeant
Feb 18, 2017
Rochester NY
mikecentola.com
Ride
07 SG/CR 335i / 17 X6 x35i
I like the idea of the of the pressure loss being so small with this filter, but I can't help but think how much I will hate cleaning it. And that is assuming I haven't let my cans of spray solvent get used up and realize only too late that I don't have enough.

I have a feeling that a cheap HF parts washer will get the job done too.

• Agree
Reactions: fmorelli

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Both good points. Maybe this stainless filter is really best for those who track their cars where high oil temps matter the most. It may be too much of a PITA for those of us who use our cars mainly as daily drivers.

Erichale77

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2016
Clearwater, FL
Ride
07 E92 coupe
20160330_122315.jpg
In series.

• Informative
Reactions: screaminfast

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
It won't matter if you have the solvent spray, because it won't clean those filters anyway, I suspect...

Filippo

lukasb

May 9, 2018
Ride
09 E92 N54
Couple things. Don't worry so much about cleaning the filter to the point where it has no particles left on it. The dirtier the filter the better it filters (of course until it get's completely clogged and nothing can get through). Just try not to introduce particles from outside walls to inside walls when you clean it. This filter is obviously not going to filter out small particles as good as synthetic or paper filters but it will flow better reducing pressure in OFH. I have almost 3k miles on my SS filter and so far so good. I hope my oil filter housing gasket will last longer now when I have lower pressures and temperatures in my OFH. I noticed lower oil temperatures but can't tell how much credit goes for the filter because I did some other modes to reduce oil temp.
BTW I do engineering for company that manufactures pharmaceutical filters and filter housings

Reactions: Jeffman

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Nice. Expert advice.
And that side benefit that reducing pressure in the OFH will also help minimize OFH gasket leaks is tremendous. Thanks for your comments!

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
Nice. Expert advice.
And that side benefit that reducing pressure in the OFH will also help minimize OFH gasket leaks is tremendous. Thanks for your comments!

I am always disappointed in the cap oring leaking prior to the next oil change!

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
No idea - but if it works with a regular filter, don't see why it wouldn't?

Filippo

BOosted 335i

Sergeant
Jun 1, 2017
New Jersey
Ride
E90 BMW 335i
I am always disappointed in the cap oring leaking prior to the next oil change!
i have never had a issue with the cap oring.Tip,always lube the cap oring,change oring every oil change,clean the the old residue,turn slowly.i have been married to mine since day 1(2008).But that BCool oil cap does look cool,like the vents :)

• Agree
Reactions: ShocknAwe

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I'd be curious to know what the actual oil pressure drop is across the filter and what exactly that has an impact on, if anything. I would imagine BMW/filter OE worked this out. Is there a problem to actually solve here?

Filippo

• Agree

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
OE certainly works fine for OE performance. But most of us here on the forum, I think, like to push the envelope... we’ll beyond OE performance. :)

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I hear ya. I was thinking about that and then thought, how does that effect the oil filtration system? We don't change oil pumps or really do anything beyond oil coolers.

Filippo

• Agree

Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars
These style of filters are way easier to clean than you may think. Debris doesn't get "lodged" or "stuck" in the filter as much as the paper type filters due to the type of medium. Best way to explain it is that it basically just rests on the filtering medium. We use these on a lot of diesel engine applications and honestly it takes less than 5 minutes to clean one filter like this thats double the size. Medical grade SS, is virtually non stick.

Although, i have never used soap and water on these types of filters. Normally, brake cleaner with a pinpointing straw to clean, then dunk and agitate in a a cup or bucket (depending on the filter size) of alcohol, then let dry.

I've personally always hated cartridge filters because of the failure rate of the paper filters like that being way higher than the canister filters. I also have bounced around the ideas of a Canister conversion. But with this, no real need.