Corporal
Oct 28, 2017
Finland
Ride
135is
i know there is amount of different fmic threads around what`s best and what`s
worst fmic on the market and every one has different approach on this subject
but raw data about real situations is missing every time, short dyno pulls with
constant air flow what does not happend in real world.
speed is increase at the same as ic is heat soaking etc.

my opinion on this is, do a full 1 mile standing pull, log it and throw
data here for comparison to get some real out of ic. 1/2 mile start
to give some information of ic performance.

on that, separate if there is meth or anything else in intake to chill down iat.

tony has his data seen on internet about his 1/2 mile runs to do some comparison
but i`m not sure if there was mentioned what fmic he use for it.
here is my log. stepped 5 inch vrfs street, obviouce undersized one
iat skyrocket on a mile even if it`s only marginal increase on 1/4

https://datazap.me/u/maantec/steptronic-135i?log=0&data=1-4

what you see is 80f to 184f in a under 30 sec run on real air speed run
next logs should come with vrsf 7.5 race on few weeks

135boost

Corporal
Oct 28, 2017
Finland
Ride
135is
Forgot to mention.
That run was with 2 lbs of 80f watermist / min spayed on ic what can affect temp by some 10-15f.

I will post one log from last year and 25 psi where i had 2 lbs e85 sprayed inside chargepipe as additional enrichment and it's very visible on that log that it mask the problem quite well.

Note word mask cause problem is there even if it's not visible

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Jesus this thread hurts to read.
Cripes ... and I was interested in the subject ... can't make any sense of the post. I realize people are from all over the world speaking english; often the non-native folks understand language construction better than the natives. That said ... it would be nice if the OP edited his posts and rewrote for clarity - at least one thought per sentence, no run-ons. I'll take capitalization, spelling, and complete sentences as a bonus.

Filippo

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i

That is a massive rise in temp! Great to do the log over such a distance which is what is encountered on track days.
It will be good to see the difference with the VRSF 7.5 race installed.

Where are you doing this testing and what is the ambient air temp?
What kind of intake? Hot air/cone intake or do you get cold air?

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
i know there is amount of different fmic threads around what`s best and what`s
worst fmic on the market and every one has different approach on this subject
but raw data about real situations is missing every time, short dyno pulls with
constant air flow what does not happend in real world.
speed is increase at the same as ic is heat soaking etc.

my opinion on this is, do a full 1 mile standing pull, log it and throw
data here for comparison to get some real out of ic. 1/2 mile start
to give some information of ic performance.

on that, separate if there is meth or anything else in intake to chill down iat.

tony has his data seen on internet about his 1/2 mile runs to do some comparison
but i`m not sure if there was mentioned what fmic he use for it.
here is my log. stepped 5 inch vrfs street, obviouce undersized one
iat skyrocket on a mile even if it`s only marginal increase on 1/4

https://datazap.me/u/maantec/steptronic-135i?log=0&data=1-4

ALDSFKJASDOFIUQWEN
....,,,,,????!!!

Here you go, there are some capitol letters and punctuation marks for you to sprinkle through your post. Seems you were running low on both.

• Funny
Reactions: veer90

Lurcher

Sergeant
Apr 6, 2018
Dallas, TX but soon to be Cocoa Beach FL
Ride
2012 z4
It's not that bad.

He's stating everyone post comments, but not a lot of data to support. He would like everyone to be somewhat consistent on defining the mods they have, how they do a pull, and post the actual log files.

He then post his logs, stating he is about to upgrade his IC and will post those logs as well.

We can all dream of consistency...

buster84

Corporal
Mar 24, 2018
Ride
335 bmw xdrive
I have a 7” vrsf i routed my washer fluid to it with a 12v over ride. As soon as i take off i flick it on. Did you want a log?

Wouldn't it be better to and super easy to wiring up some high powered push and pull fans into the intercooler Instead of spraying it?

buster84

Corporal
Mar 24, 2018
Ride
335 bmw xdrive
It's actually be worse, and a lot more difficult.

It works for radiators so why not intercooler? Their has to be a technical reason this fails for intercollers then. Anyone know the technical explanation?

Aaron

Lieutenant
Nov 3, 2016
Colorado
Ride
Silver 2013 335is 6MT
Water/liquid has a significantly higher heat capacity than air does, without Googling and not remembering Thermodynamics from years ago I want to guess it is 14 times as much for the same volume.

Next, fans are only useful at very low vehicle speeds. Past 20mph or so, your fans are useless anyway, in fact they do significantly more harm than good at speed, as they add weight, draw on your electrical system, and block airflow to your radiator/FMIC. But we need the fans for sub 20mph operation.

135boost

Corporal
Oct 28, 2017
Finland
Ride
135is
Sorry if this not so perfect English make me hard to undestand, like i have told before, this is not my native language, not even second language, just try to explain something tehnical with a language most of us here use.
I think there is 3 ways to do this, first this way with not perfect english, second way to write everything on Swedish or Finnish and let you try to translate it with google or third way, just read and end commenting here.

these logs are from airfield runways.

then to next standing 1 mile log, this was my last year setup with e85 sprayed in to chargetube at a quantity of about 2,5 lbs / min rate and it was activated by hobb switch.
this log is with same FMIC and same kind of weather conditions, 80F sunny dry day.

there is clearly seen that e85 spray is masking problem of poor FMIC, just as spray is
activated, it soak heat of charge and show as IAT drop.

i think it`s same where in the engine cycle that E85 is sprayed, temp drop is linear to
quantity of fuel quantity, di, port injection, charge pipe etc so on my opinion best situation
is to get charge temp down before air reach combustion chamber and then DI only to take care
of already cool air entering combustion chamber.

on a short 1 gear pulls, effectiness of a intercooler is only scratching surface, at beginning
intercooler only work as a heat soaker from charge air.
pulls are so short that charge air is only move heat from it to inner fins inside IC.
it has no time to escape trough IC core to outer layer and to outer fins and from there to atmosphere.

https://datazap.me/u/maantec/bmw-135i-steptronic?log=0&data=1-4

ps. If everything goea as planned, you get next 1 mile log with that vrsf 7.5 race
and i`m quite dissapointed if i don`t get my IAT pushed to under 130F.

on a mile, the most power is needed on 5th and 6th gear and if i manage to get
down IAT by +50 degree, it will give me some 50whp to the second half of a mile.

on my calculations that should push me to 300kph barrier.
this weekend we have here airfield runway 1/4 mile with no prep allowed and
goal is to hit there 10 second runs.

Last edited:
Reactions: aus335iguy

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
Sorry if this not so perfect English make me hard to undestand, like i have told before, this is not my native language, not even second language, just try to explain something tehnical with a language most of us here use.
I think there is 3 ways to do this, first this way with not perfect english, second way to write everything on Swedish or Finnish and let you try to translate it with google or third way, just read and end commenting here.

these logs are from airfield runways.

then to next standing 1 mile log, this was my last year setup with e85 sprayed in to chargetube at a quantity of about 2,5 lbs / min rate and it was activated by hobb switch.
this log is with same FMIC and same kind of weather conditions, 80F sunny dry day.

there is clearly seen that e85 spray is masking problem of poor FMIC, just as spray is
activated, it soak heat of charge and show as IAT drop.

i think it`s same where in the engine cycle that E85 is sprayed, temp drop is linear to
quantity of fuel quantity, di, port injection, charge pipe etc so on my opinion best situation
is to get charge temp down before air reach combustion chamber and then DI only to take care
of already cool air entering combustion chamber.

on a short 1 gear pulls, effectiness of a intercooler is only scratching surface, at beginning
intercooler only work as a heat soaker from charge air.
pulls are so short that charge air is only move heat from it to inner fins inside IC.
it has no time to escape trough IC core to outer layer and to outer fins and from there to atmosphere.

https://datazap.me/u/maantec/bmw-135i-steptronic?log=0&data=1-4

ps. If everything goea as planned, you get next 1 mile log with that vrsf 7.5 race
and i`m quite dissapointed if i don`t get my IAT pushed to under 130F.

on a mile, the most power is needed on 5th and 6th gear and if i manage to get
down IAT by +50 degree, it will give me some 50whp to the second half of a mile.

on my calculations that should push me to 300kph barrier.
this weekend we have here airfield runway 1/4 mile with no prep allowed and
goal is to hit there 10 second runs.

Sounds like a great way to spend a weekend!