Engine building tips

Kenjermen

Sergeant
Nov 6, 2016
N las vegas NV
Hey everyone this post his here to show my progress on my engine build and some helpful tips I've learned in the process.

My first lesson learned was about bearings. If you don't know BMW has 3 different colors they use for bearings the colors are to mark what size you need. I ordered a set of bearings from VAC Motorsports with the coating on them. They didn't have a option on the website to choose the color you need and I didn't know due to the color on the old bearings had worn off. I received red ones from them which where way to tight of clearance to the point the crank wouldn't spin. After contacting with VAC they informed me that they had relized this is a multiple person issue and will swap my bearings with the ones I need, to find out which ones I needed they informed me that the block and crank part numbers are used to find what size I will need. Turns out I need the green and yellow ones.

JuniorB

Sergeant
May 9, 2017
Rhode Island
Ride
07 e60
Anything new yet on the rod bearings, seems were assed out on bearing choices which make crank remaning very difficult. :( If something can be done in this area, builds would be popping up.

Kenjermen

Sergeant
Nov 6, 2016
N las vegas NV
Anything new yet on the rod bearings, seems were assed out on bearing choices which make crank remaning very difficult. :( If something can be done in this area, builds would be popping up.
Ya VAC is shipping out all bearings colors just give them your crank and block number first or find out which ones you need and call them

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
How many people have rebuilt their engines themselves? I don't see much of that in the N54 world. Its mostly shops doing that work it seems.

JuniorB

Sergeant
May 9, 2017
Rhode Island
Ride
07 e60
I did read a while ago, a guy built one in his garage with forged rods and pistons. He done the rebuild himself, minus the machine work, and built braces to hold the lower girdle in place while it was torqued. I tore one down that I bought and saw there is definely caution, patience, and knowledge are needed to assemble one. Not impossible if the machine guy knows what he's doing and does it properly. If BMW would make us some oversized conn bearings, we will see more rebuilds out there. In the end, for what a rebuild was costing, I bought the whole car.:)

Kenjermen

Sergeant
Nov 6, 2016
N las vegas NV
Ya like any eng rebuild it takes a lot of patience and measuring. I'm in the middle of building mine with some help from a shop. Its very tidious and time consuming and it puts imperspective why getting a eng built cost so much. It is a daunting task for a first timer and taking correct measurments is they key along with proper tooling. Also probably a reason you don't see many people doing it themselves. Right now my main focus is the bottom end aka pistons and rods, head work will be later down the road. If wanted I can compile a list where I've bought parts for the build and make it easier for someone else looking into it

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Ya like any eng rebuild it takes a lot of patience and measuring. I'm in the middle of building mine with some help from a shop. Its very tidious and time consuming and it puts imperspective why getting a eng built cost so much. It is a daunting task for a first timer and taking correct measurments is they key along with proper tooling. Also probably a reason you don't see many people doing it themselves. Right now my main focus is the bottom end aka pistons and rods, head work will be later down the road. If wanted I can compile a list where I've bought parts for the build and make it easier for someone else looking into it

I think documentation is always good :)

I'd be curious how much you end up paying.

Kenjermen

Sergeant
Nov 6, 2016
N las vegas NV
Wisco Pistons- AD-E
Carrillo Rods/ARP head studs/cometic headgasket-raceeng
Main and rod bearings- VAC
All other factory stuff such as bolts and other gaskets got from my shop

JuniorB

Sergeant
May 9, 2017
Rhode Island
Ride
07 e60
When I was inquiring about machine work at a local high performance shop, I asked him about a torque plate for the cylinders. One , he didn't have one and would have to provide one, second, he stated its an open deck anyway and that even with a plate, by the time you torque the head, it lessens the ability to move, arp head bolts of course. The head would be your standard 3-5 angle valve job. I would sence the hardest of all would be making sure the lower girdle is supported while being torqued properly.

JuniorB

Sergeant
May 9, 2017
Rhode Island
Ride
07 e60
I saw Vac bearings a while ago, they may of gone up in prices, but only offered the std bearing for the connecting rods, the no.1 reason cranks go is spun bearings, very rarely it's crank bearings.

Kenjermen

Sergeant
Nov 6, 2016
N las vegas NV
When I was inquiring about machine work at a local high performance shop, I asked him about a torque plate for the cylinders. One , he didn't have one and would have to provide one, second, he stated its an open deck anyway and that even with a plate, by the time you torque the head, it lessens the ability to move, arp head bolts of course. The head would be your standard 3-5 angle valve job. I would sence the hardest of all would be making sure the lower girdle is supported while being torqued properly.
I'm friends with a cnc guy and had him make me a torque plate also the machine shop I went to happen to have one as well

Kenjermen

Sergeant
Nov 6, 2016
N las vegas NV
I saw Vac bearings a while ago, they may of gone up in prices, but only offered the std bearing for the connecting rods, the no.1 reason cranks go is spun bearings, very rarely it's crank bearings.
This is why it is important to measure everything multiple times and also run the correct oil weight

Jsherry20

Sergeant
Dec 21, 2016
I don't understand what's the issue with taking these apart, would like to know more about the bed plates.

Danksies

Corporal
Nov 2, 2016
NoVA
Taking apart something is easy. Putting it back together with the specific measurements and specs? Little more difficult lol

Kenjermen

Sergeant
Nov 6, 2016
N las vegas NV
Like said above taking apart is easy, I pulled the eng and had it completely disassembled in 8 hrs. The measuring and assy are time consuming and tedious but very necessary. The bed plate is just an aluminum plate that bolts to the bottom of the block that holds your crank in place unlike older/traditional styles where the crank slides in and out.

Reactions: Danksies

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
Oh those dreaded pain in the ass bearings lol.. All bmw engines are like that. There will be a bed plate side and a cap side..
IIRC thwy are stamped on the bed plate in a reverse order..
There is a whole bulletin or maybe its in the new engine technology book from the class.. But it's so screwy that it usually makes a Bout thread guys stand around a block scratching their heads yelling out colors lol

Actually I think it's stamped in A B C or D on the bell housing area of the block
Two rows if letters

Kenjermen

Sergeant
Nov 6, 2016
N las vegas NV
Oh those dreaded pain in the ass bearings lol.. All bmw engines are like that. There will be a bed plate side and a cap side..
IIRC thwy are stamped on the bed plate in a reverse order..
There is a whole bulletin or maybe its in the new engine technology book from the class.. But it's so screwy that it usually makes a Bout thread guys stand around a block scratching their heads yelling out colors lol

Actually I think it's stamped in A B C or D on the bell housing area of the block
Two rows if letters
Haha almost to the tee to what happened to me. Ya it's letter coded and they are located on the block and crank itself. On the block side it's right next to the water pipe area

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
Haha almost to the tee to what happened to me. Ya it's letter coded and they are located on the block and crank itself. On the block side it's right next to the water pipe area

Yea couldn't remember them exactly.. Not one of those things you do everyday lol

But when you do you mumble curse words about German people..

If you need anything else that might be info you can't obtain let me know and I'll see what I can dig up for ya.. There lots of silly little quirks
Sealing the bed plate had a "process" don't know if guys have used other ways than specified but it isn't just rtv silicone lol

Kenjermen

Sergeant
Nov 6, 2016
N las vegas NV
Haha thanks, ya I got everything to do the seal on the bed plate correctly and my shop is helping me out, but if I run to any head scratchers I'll defiently ask for your help

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
Haha thanks, ya I got everything to do the seal on the bed plate correctly and my shop is helping me out, but if I run to any head scratchers I'll defiently ask for your help

No problem.. I never have all the answers but I always no where to look :)