Engine building tips

JuniorB

Sergeant
May 9, 2017
Rhode Island
Ride
07 e60
Glad to hear your up and running. Now that there are twins capable of big numbers, does a single really benefit ? The 3 series guys have such a wide variety of options, unlike the 5 twins are about the only way without configuring out a new system. Those mmps look very promising!

Kenjermen

Sergeant
Nov 6, 2016
N las vegas NV
Glad to hear your up and running. Now that there are twins capable of big numbers, does a single really benefit ? The 3 series guys have such a wide variety of options, unlike the 5 twins are about the only way without configuring out a new system. Those mmps look very promising!
I guess depending on what you call big numbers, but yes twins are putting out the same hp as the singles even the shitty Vargas ones haha

Kenjermen

Sergeant
Nov 6, 2016
N las vegas NV
So unfortunately I ran into a problem. I was doing dyno pulls to get some fuel tuning in and I had a terrible overboost issue. I was making 35psi on wastgate only. Found a blown boost line going to a wastgate. The is fixed now I'm having coolant pressurizing problems. I first blew the lower water pump line off. Thought it was just a lose clamp no big deal... Until I went and made a test pass then my radiator split at one of the welds. I believe this issue is coming from the head gasket not sealing and allowing air in. So time to swap to the better headstuds and see where that goes

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
So unfortunately I ran into a problem. I was doing dyno pulls to get some fuel tuning in and I had a terrible overboost issue. I was making 35psi on wastgate only. Found a blown boost line going to a wastgate. The is fixed now I'm having coolant pressurizing problems. I first blew the lower water pump line off. Thought it was just a lose clamp no big deal... Until I went and made a test pass then my radiator split at one of the welds. I believe this issue is coming from the head gasket not sealing and allowing air in. So time to swap to the better headstuds and see where that goes

You're attacking a symptom not the root cause. You'll end up chasing your tail for months if you go at it from this direction. If you were overboosting and now you have blowby in your coolant which is over pressurizing the cooling system then you toasted your head gasket. Fix it right. You need to pull the head and inspect for damage. Combustion gasses can turn into a plasma stream when they meet coolant and can melt aluminum permanently destroying your head or block or both.

2578d1344828584-two-blown-head-gaskets-melted-head-head1again.jpg

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: Sshec152 and R.G.

Kenjermen

Sergeant
Nov 6, 2016
N las vegas NV
You're attacking a symptom not the root cause. You'll end up chasing your tail for months if you go at it from this direction. If you were overboosting and now you have blowby in your coolant which is over pressurizing the cooling system then you toasted your head gasket. Fix it right. You need to pull the head and inspect for damage. Combustion gasses can turn into a plasma stream when they meet coolant and can melt aluminum permanently destroying your head or block or both.

2578d1344828584-two-blown-head-gaskets-melted-head-head1again.jpg
Yep, I'm doing a full leak down and block check. There is no blowby in the coolant. The heads have to come off any for the new studs so that's when I'll inspect everything. Trust me I never half assed anything with this build and I'm not about to start now. I just assumed people would already know to check these things. But you know what they say about assuming.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Yep, I'm doing a full leak down and block check. There is no blowby in the coolant. The heads have to come off any for the new studs so that's when I'll inspect everything. Trust me I never half assed anything with this build and I'm not about to start now. I just assumed people would already know to check these things. But you know what they say about assuming.
Good deal sir. I’ve just seen people half ass head studs by pulling and replacing one at a time in an attempt to clamp a head down more to hide a blown head gasket. Ghetto.

Kenjermen

Sergeant
Nov 6, 2016
N las vegas NV
Good deal sir. I’ve just seen people half ass head studs by pulling and replacing one at a time in an attempt to clamp a head down more to hide a blown head gasket. Ghetto.
Ya I've heard people to the same, the amount of work it takes to get to the headstuds on these you might as well just pull the head off. Plus gaskets are so fragile you always should check them no matter which one it is.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Ya I've heard people to the same, the amount of work it takes to get to the headstuds on these you might as well just pull the head off. Plus gaskets are so fragile you always should check them no matter which one it is.

You went silent on us, what was the word?

Kenjermen

Sergeant
Nov 6, 2016
N las vegas NV
Sorry, so unfortently the head did pull 2 threads with the old studs, didn't find this out until I was putting the New studs in. Installing the new studs was also a big learning curve and took a lot longer due to me figuring out everything as I go with some help from AD-eng. The block is currently at the machine shop getting fixed. The build will be back on in 2 weeks or so. This time I want to video everything and I'll also do a walk through on the head stud conversion to help everyone else.

Reactions: doublespaces

LoBoost

Sergeant
Dec 22, 2017
Ride
2008 135i, 2014 GTR
Got the 5bar map sensor finally figured out, now for some driving and break the motor in before it goes on the dyno for tuning

What all did you have to do for the 5 bar map sensor, and which sensor did you use?

Kenjermen

Sergeant
Nov 6, 2016
N las vegas NV
What all did you have to do for the 5 bar map sensor, and which sensor did you use?
It's the AEM 5 bar, I got the kit from AD-eng with the wiring harness adapter. Then you will need to have the car tuned for that sensor due to the voltage readings are different from the 3.5 bar sensor. Ken @ wedge tuning did the tune with this for me

LoBoost

Sergeant
Dec 22, 2017
Ride
2008 135i, 2014 GTR
It's the AEM 5 bar, I got the kit from AD-eng with the wiring harness adapter. Then you will need to have the car tuned for that sensor due to the voltage readings are different from the 3.5 bar sensor. Ken @ wedge tuning did the tune with this for me

Gotcha. Ive been wanting to order that kit for a while now, but the ADE website had said "not accepting payments at this time" for a week now.

LoBoost

Sergeant
Dec 22, 2017
Ride
2008 135i, 2014 GTR
Do not buy from ADE. He will not refund me and has held $700 for almost 2 months

Jeeze. Sorry to hear that man! At this point I couldn't order from him even if I wanted to, seems best to not to anyhow, lot of horror stories on here.