Engine building tips

JuniorB

Sergeant
May 9, 2017
Rhode Island
Ride
07 e60
The bed plate as they say, being under torqu and stress, there is a removal procedure, it's a major,tedious, job and can damage your whole engine if not done correctly. Besides the timing and seals, you should be good to go. Keep us updated!

Reactions: Kenjermen

Danksies

Corporal
Nov 2, 2016
NoVA
Like said above taking apart is easy, I pulled the eng and had it completely disassembled in 8 hrs. The measuring and assy are time consuming and tedious but very necessary. The bed plate is just an aluminum plate that bolts to the bottom of the block that holds your crank in place unlike older/traditional styles where the crank slides in and out.
Nice, hopefully the rebuild will go smoothly! I'm sure you know but take your time and do it right...once Lol. Gluck!

Reactions: Kenjermen

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
The bed plate as they say, being under torqu and stress, there is a removal procedure, it's a major,tedious, job and can damage your whole engine if not done correctly. Besides the timing and seals, you should be good to go. Keep us updated!

Please post a picture of what you guys are referring to as a "torque plate" are you talking about the bed plate itself? I'm not following or maybe I'm not "In the know"

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
I've worked for them for the past 14 years now!
So Dan you said try working for them so I say your at a dealer.. We have talked a little bit on here and I'd prettymuch say we're best friends now lol

Anyways I'm a BMW tech as well and then I noticed your other pics you have NJ tags..

Well I'm a BMW tech in NJ as well bud lol! What dealer are you at? Circle? T Ville? NY? PA? Can't be BMW of Mt Laurel because that's where Ive worked since 04 lol!

We've gotta catch up dude!

camberadam

Sergeant
Feb 15, 2017
Baltimore
Ride
Tasmin Green e92
So Dan you said try working for them so I say your at a dealer.. We have talked a little bit on here and I'd prettymuch say we're best friends now lol

Anyways I'm a BMW tech as well and then I noticed your other pics you have NJ tags..

Well I'm a BMW tech in NJ as well bud lol! What dealer are you at? Circle? T Ville? NY? PA? Can't be BMW of Mt Laurel because that's where Ive worked since 04 lol!

We've gotta catch up dude!

I used to live 15mins from Tville actually; keep the tags to avoid the ridiculous inspections in Md. :D

I'm not a tech but work for a German Insulation company.

• Informative
Reactions: Sshec152

Kenjermen

Sergeant
Nov 6, 2016
N las vegas NV
Ya the torque sequence for the bed plate is very tedious

• Informative
Reactions: Sshec152

Kenjermen

Sergeant
Nov 6, 2016
N las vegas NV
Nice, hopefully the rebuild will go smoothly! I'm sure you know but take your time and do it right...once Lol. Gluck!
Thanks I'll, try unfortunately I have to leave for Florida for a week for work, and will miss some of the build but I'll tell them to take plenty of pictures if they work on it while I'm gone

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
A torque plate and the bed plate are 2 different things, the torque plate is used for machining work
Yea that's how. I always viewed a torque plate as well. So are you using it to line bore the crank? The other poster made it sound as though it was installed to ad rigidity to the end build.. Or maybe I just read it that way lol

Nick380

Private
Nov 4, 2016
CA
For anyone trying to do an engine rebuild, having the ISTA+ also known as Rheingold software is ideal. It tells you literally everything from start to finish, all the tools you need, specific torque sequences, and any caution areas to look out for. What it really comes down to besides patience and lots of time, is money...the specialty tools themselves are going to cost over 1,000. Granted you could fabricate your own, or find em cheap on ebay...but when it comes to these tools you don't want a knock off that is not accurate. If you plan on owning an N54 for a long time I definitely recommend investing into the tools...I'll be purchasing a few including the cam lock down tool for the top end.

Reactions: doublespaces

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
For anyone trying to do an engine rebuild, having the ISTA+ also known as Rheingold software is ideal. It tells you literally everything from start to finish, all the tools you need, specific torque sequences, and any caution areas to look out for. What it really comes down to besides patience and lots of time, is money...the specialty tools themselves are going to cost over 1,000. Granted you could fabricate your own, or find em cheap on ebay...but when it comes to these tools you don't want a knock off that is not accurate. If you plan on owning an N54 for a long time I definitely recommend investing into the tools...I'll be purchasing a few including the cam lock down tool for the top end.
My dealer has a 100k dollar tool box aline to house the tools.. Its an indexing system to track all tool s at all times..
I would say the major tools you definitely need to have are the timing tools for sure.. Then knowing what is what with torque specs

Nick380

Private
Nov 4, 2016
CA
My dealer has a 100k dollar tool box aline to house the tools.. Its an indexing system to track all tool s at all times..
I would say the major tools you definitely need to have are the timing tools for sure.. Then knowing what is what with torque specs
Yea I heard it's needed to keep the timing correct or else everything will be out of wack

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
Yea I heard it's needed to keep the timing correct or else everything will be out of wack
Pin the crank, lock the cams with the QR codes facing up, pin your cam wheels, 8nm I wanna say on the T chain tensioner then torque your new vanos bolts and done.. Spin the motor twice and recheck they you can set it all up up again wahlah

N52/4/5 are some of the easiest motors to time to be honest! When we were doing heads and lifter on n52 like twice a day per tech.. When we all first started we couldn't believe it was as simple as it was coming from the m54 and s54 lol

Reactions: doublespaces

JuniorB

Sergeant
May 9, 2017
Rhode Island
Ride
07 e60
I try to buy from them, but seem to pay 25% more mark up... Really? Interesting aboun Insta as I bought a gt1 pc loaded to do for coding and when I do my motor swap. Great to know:)