Bimmergeeks Pro Tool and Bluetooth Dongle discussion

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Many of you know about the Pro Tool app by @BimmerGeeks! and the optional Bluetooth OBD2 dongle that can be purchased with it.

This thread will serve as a centralized place to provide feedback, gather information, and ask questions.

Several weeks ago I was lucky enough to be offered the opportunity to mail a spare phone down to Dylan. After a couple signatures, he sent it back with Pro Tools loaded up and a prototype Bluetooth dongle.

After having used it for a few things here and there, I strongly believe this will be my main, go to app for my car. I like to monitor gauges on my Android screen and constantly datalog, this will allow me to do both of those things wirelessly and also have the diagnostic and programming power all in one spot.

20180802_005111.jpg

fosiacat

Lurker
Dec 16, 2017
Ride
2010 335i
was fortunate enough to get a copy last week, i needed to code my new injectors..used a cable for that because my BT adapter was just ordered. worked absolutely perfectly. Have to admit, im not a huge fan of the interface, i feel like it's a bit clunky, but there is a LOT you can do with it.. great for tinkerers. got the bluetooth adapter last night, so i plugged it in and paired it with my phone and went for a drive, gauges i tested worked perfectly...no lag at all, very occasional stutters. only issue i'm having right now, is how the hell do i pair the bluetooth adapter to my tablet, after pairing it to my phone? I don't want to use my phone, it was just a test because apparently the nexus 5x doesn't support USB OTG (if it does, it doesn't work for me...same cable works fine on my samsung) so i wanted to see protool on the phone sized screen.

anyone have any ideas? i tried unpairing the device from my phone, but it doesn't come up in a scan with my tablet (cheap-o Samsung galaxy tab A) or my iPhone, my assumption is because it's already paired to the Nexus? i dunno.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
No I mean will it work with any brand BT monitor?
No. The problem is that normal Bluetooth adapters do not support the types of comminication that is needed for apps like MHD and ProTool.

This adapter must have a custom firmware which makes it possible. Otherwise we would be using generic Bluetooth obd adapters long ago. This was explained to me once but I forgot the technical answer.

Reactions: 9krpmrx8

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Negative, it will also work with a K+DCAN and USB OTG.
This is great for me as I have my K+DCAN cable routed inside up the left side of the dashboard and peeking out with the OTG connector just above the left drivers’ air vent where I mounted my Android phone for MHD. Looking forward to using ProTools.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
So I own MHD app, K+DCAN cable, VGate2 BT, Torque app, bimmercode app, Carly app, Carly BTv2, and Bluedriver app and BT.

Can someone net out why I should want to buy this? I suspect many are in the same boat.

Filippo

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I don't know what some of those can do so i can't help much.

Personally I'm going to use this app with the Bluetooth then pull out my cable when I flash. Unless something better comes along. Mostly i just want to monitor and log without cables.

Reactions: dyezak

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Honestly the cable is a shit solution, best as I can tell. How many mediocre connections do we have? MHD really needs to go BT as that's a liability problem when programming. Everyone runs around with a gerryrigged tablet/phone with cable snaking around to OTG, crap popping out, et cetera. One can only hope ...

Filippo

Reactions: soawesomeman

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
I don't know what some of those can do so i can't help much.

Personally I'm going to use this app with the Bluetooth then pull out my cable when I flash. Unless something better comes along. Mostly i just want to monitor and log without cables.

^^^THIS!! Monitoring and logging without cables is where it is at. With an AVIN it would be *really* nice to have an auto-log feature. Once you start your car up it creates a running log that lasts for like 30min and continuously overwrites itself. THEN add on a one click upload feature to your DataZap.ME account....wow. This opens up tons of possibilities.

How do I add requests to the development queue? :)

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
I agree with total wireless being the best solution. And it being integrated with something like the AVIN head unit to even avoid he need for charging cables would also be ideal. For now, I have my little OTG peeking out from the driver side vent. :)