Bimmergeeks Pro Tool and Bluetooth Dongle discussion

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
This is done with the stock iDrive screen, a video controller that integrates with the idrive knob, and an Android mini. A long press on the menu button brings this up.

I'll take a wired connection over fighting with wireless connectivity hassles any day.

20180809_173606.jpg

Xer0449

Corporal
Jan 30, 2017
This is done with the stock iDrive screen, a video controller that integrates with the idrive knob, and an Android mini. A long press on the menu button brings this up.

I'll take a wired connection over fighting with wireless connectivity hassles any day.

View attachment 14926

Are you using an XCARLINK? I have one and an android HDMI stick, but I didn't think I could navigate the android UI (ew) with iDrive controller...

Edit: BimmerGeeks REALLY REALLY REALLY needs to hire a designer, this looks like an angelfire page.

• Funny
Reactions: Boorda and fmorelli

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017

View attachment 14926
What video controller and how did you integrate it with the idrive knob?

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
Been trying to find the purchase in my Amazon/Ebay orders. Kind of a large task!

It does not integrate with the iDrive knob at all. It only switches the video screen when the menu button is pushed for a couple seconds. Any Android interaction I use a bluetooth mouse.

I have in mind to add a touch screen overlay but it is just too low my to-do list

Edit: This is it

And a thread I made on this a while back

Last edited:

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
^^^THIS!! Monitoring and logging without cables is where it is at. With an AVIN it would be *really* nice to have an auto-log feature. Once you start your car up it creates a running log that lasts for like 30min and continuously overwrites itself. THEN add on a one click upload feature to your DataZap.ME account....wow. This opens up tons of possibilities.

How do I add requests to the development queue? :)

Even better, those logs will upload to SpoolStreet soon. You can upload as many logs simultaneously as you want and the graphs are interactive and can be embedded within threads.

Xer0449

Corporal
Jan 30, 2017

View attachment 14926

I have all the same hardware sitting in a pile, that's been waiting for MHD bluetooth to go into the car, but i'm tired of waiting.

Do you flash from this setup?
If so:
Does the iDrive screen sometimes turn off during flashing?
Ever have any failed flashes (when I tested this with an OBD extension, my flashes would fail half way through)
What OBD extension did you use?

Thanks!

Last edited:

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
I have all the same hardware sitting in a pile, that's been waiting for MHD bluetooth to go into the car, but i'm tired of waiting.

Do you flash from this setup?
If so:
Does the iDrive screen sometimes turn off during flashing?
Ever have any failed flashes (when I tested this with an OBD extension, my flashes would fail half way through)
What OBD extension did you use?

Thanks!

I don't. The power comes from the idrive screen so it shuts off during the flash.

I plan to change the power source then I shoud be able to flash I think.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
I’m in the same boat as Xer...I have the parts in a bag in my house for a year now along with an OBD splitter connected ready for a second OBDII cable to run to the Android stick computer attached to the video splitter. Lol. Can we have MHD running off of two devices?

bshotts

May 16, 2017
Ride
2009 SGM E90 335i 6MT Msport
Hey ProTool users...can anyone clarify which pack (diagnostics or coding) would be used to register battery? I’m guessing coding and I hope so since I need to code in/out some feautures anyway. Also any feedback on using Bluetooth vs USB cable? Seems cable is safer bet to avoid dropping connection to DME.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
From my North American BMW Diesel Owners Group. Don't know if this is DDE specific issues vs DME, user error, or a reflection on the tool. Caveat emptor. I'll revise this post if more information comes to light.

I have not bought this tool because frankly I own a bunch of tools, they all seem to do different things well (or poorly), and laughably to me no one here has been able to even begin to explain why one should buy this tool in the face of all the other common tools on the market.

Filippo

Screen Shot 2018-08-25 at 2.36.33 PM.png

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Well that's seems like could be a problem an easily fixed one but def big oversight. Hopefully turns out user error.

• Agree
Reactions: Jeffman

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
From my North American BMW Diesel Owners Group. Don't know if this is DDE specific issues vs DME, user error, or a reflection on the tool. Caveat emptor. I'll revise this post if more information comes to light.

I have not bought this tool because frankly I own a bunch of tools, they all seem to do different things well (or poorly), and laughably to me no one here has been able to even begin to explain why one should buy this tool in the face of all the other common tools on the market.

Filippo

View attachment 15195
Honestly if you have a whole host of apps/tools to already do everything you need (or really, if you're good enough with INPA/ISTA-P/WinKFP etc) then you don't need it. The appeal of it is it's made by the BimmerGeeks guy, doesn't have any features locked behind a certain adapter, doesn't require a subscription and most importantly it's basically the "BMW Standard Tools" in Android App format, with some of the more complex things still being added in at the moment.

Imo that person's review is flawed due to a lack of research:
A: Nothing is locked behind/paywalled by the proprietary BG adapters like Carly and other apps do, so he didn't need to purchase that in the first place.
B: Not only do you have to click on what thing you want to do before being taken to the store for the first time, but it tells you exactly what module you need when selected (i.e. he couldn't have gotten to the license purchase screen without first finding the "calibrate injectors" option, in which case a popup would've came up saying "We're sorry, but you need to purchase the diagnostic module first in order to do that) and there's descriptions under each module's license that describe what they're for. The diagnostic one very clearly has "program fuel injectors" in the description (along with register and program battery, adjust idle, etc), and the coding module makes it pretty obvious it's for manipulating software options and functions like comfort access, customizing lights etc rather than performing maintenance work.
C: As far as I can understand, the app literally just downloads the necessary INPA daten files for whatever car it's connected to while told to download the data files, so I wouldn't be surprised if like @Rob09msport suggested with it being user error. The guy probably has two different cars, was in a hurry so didn't read anything and only downloaded the data for the first car that he plugged in to, then tried to program his second car with the first cars' files. Which would be no different than if you were to open INPA, select "3 Series, E90, MSD80" while trying to reset adaptations on your F82 M4 lol.

Yalids

Aug 29, 2018
Ride
Bmw 535i
Hello, im new here at the forum! I would just like to ask about the BT dongle that i bought from BG, i downloaded, install then paired, the BT, but everytime i connect it, it always say “error identifying vehicle” i tried with my cable with otg, still the same error, do you guys experience anything like this? I tried searching google but since this was just released, i havnt got any answers, thank you in advance!

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
Hello, im new here at the forum! I would just like to ask about the BT dongle that i bought from BG, i downloaded, install then paired, the BT, but everytime i connect it, it always say “error identifying vehicle” i tried with my cable with otg, still the same error, do you guys experience anything like this? I tried searching google but since this was just released, i havnt got any answers, thank you in advance!
Try moving the switch position to the middle.

BimmerGeeks!

Lurker
May 16, 2017
Ride
Bmw
Honestly if you have a whole host of apps/tools to already do everything you need (or really, if you're good enough with INPA/ISTA-P/WinKFP etc) then you don't need it. The appeal of it is it's made by the BimmerGeeks guy, doesn't have any features locked behind a certain adapter, doesn't require a subscription and most importantly it's basically the "BMW Standard Tools" in Android App format, with some of the more complex things still being added in at the moment.

Imo that person's review is flawed due to a lack of research:
A: Nothing is locked behind/paywalled by the proprietary BG adapters like Carly and other apps do, so he didn't need to purchase that in the first place.
B: Not only do you have to click on what thing you want to do before being taken to the store for the first time, but it tells you exactly what module you need when selected (i.e. he couldn't have gotten to the license purchase screen without first finding the "calibrate injectors" option, in which case a popup would've came up saying "We're sorry, but you need to purchase the diagnostic module first in order to do that) and there's descriptions under each module's license that describe what they're for. The diagnostic one very clearly has "program fuel injectors" in the description (along with register and program battery, adjust idle, etc), and the coding module makes it pretty obvious it's for manipulating software options and functions like comfort access, customizing lights etc rather than performing maintenance work.
C: As far as I can understand, the app literally just downloads the necessary INPA daten files for whatever car it's connected to while told to download the data files, so I wouldn't be surprised if like @Rob09msport suggested with it being user error. The guy probably has two different cars, was in a hurry so didn't read anything and only downloaded the data for the first car that he plugged in to, then tried to program his second car with the first cars' files. Which would be no different than if you were to open INPA, select "3 Series, E90, MSD80" while trying to reset adaptations on your F82 M4 lol.

You sir, deserve a medal. The above customer is happy and his issue is resolved and the app has been updated for it to work more seamlessly for other diesel users, your advice on on "following the flow" and reading the alerts and doing as told is priceless.

Our goal was to take an extremely(and I mean EXTREMELY) complicated toolset and make it accessible and usable for all Bmw owners. We didn't price this ridiculously, or vin lock it for profit, we made it for the exact opposite reason, to put the power of doing what will eventually be necessary while owning a bmw into the hands of the owner, without getting raped to perform what are actually simple task for experienced BMW owners with the PC toolsets.

@Panzerfaust, please message us on facebook ("BimmerGeeks"). If there is any part of the app your missing, whether its coding, diagnostic or the bluetooth dongle....you have it now, on the house.