Upgraded twins vs single turbo for 500whp?

n54praiser

Lurker
Sep 6, 2022
Guys I can't choose between either going with upgraded TD04 twins or a single 6266 to achieve 500whp on 93 oct/98 RON. I'd definitely end up cheaper with twins but could wastegate rattle still become a thing with them? Any input is appreciated!

Current mods:
- Akrapovic Evolution Line exhaust (stainless steel, full exhaust)
- VRSF catless downpipes
- Wagner EVO 1 Performance 5" intercooler
- TA Technix carbon fiber air intake
- Spec Stage 2 clutch
- Forge Motorsport charge pipe and BOV
- Fuel-It Stage 1 LPFP upgrade
- NGK 1-step colder spark plugs
- NGK ignition coils

pbondar

Sergeant
May 30, 2020
FWIW I went with some TTE500 turbos that make 550 BHP on 98 Ron fuel at 21.5 psi boost..

I guess you call them TD03 with bigger internals.

They are offered with upgraded wastegate bushings and arms.

If you want snappy street performance I understand twins are the way to go…

n54praiser

Lurker
Sep 6, 2022
FWIW I went with some TTE500 turbos that make 550 BHP on 98 Ron fuel at 21.5 psi boost..

I guess you call them TD03 with bigger internals.

They are offered with upgraded wastegate bushings and arms.

If you want snappy street performance I understand twins are the way to go…
I hadn't heard of this brand before. I'm in Europe so shipping and total cost wise these make sense.

I also see that they offer TTE600 turbos which I assume offer up to 600hp. I don't see the same wastegate upgrade option offered or mentioned. Does that mean these will be prone to the same wastegate rattle issue like stock turbos? And Pure600 turbos too? They are similarly priced.

I'm really looking for an upgrade that eliminates top end power loss but also offers the biggest in jump over the power I make on stock turbos (430hp) and will still be reliable.

Do you have a dyno?

Last edited:

n54praiser

Lurker
Sep 6, 2022
If I had to choose a single kit it would likely be a speed tech bottom mount. But I went with a twins build.
They are more expensive than the DR700 kit.

Do your upgraded twins have upgraded wastegates? Are upgraded twins just as likely to get wastegate rattle as the stock ones?

pbondar

Sergeant
May 30, 2020
I hadn't heard of this brand before. I'm in Europe so shipping and total cost wise these make sense.

I also see that they offer TTE600 turbos which I assume offer up to 600hp. I don't see the same wastegate upgrade option offered or mentioned. Does that mean these will be prone to the same wastegate rattle issue like stock turbos? And Pure600 turbos too? They are similarly priced.

I'm really looking for an upgrade that eliminates top end power loss but also offers the biggest in jump over the power I make on stock turbos (430hp) and will still be reliable.

Do you have a dyno?
German company high end supplier Mere, Porsche, Audi and BMW

When you order on the drop down menu it gives the option for the upgrade bushes etc..

Part of the story here..

n54praiser

Lurker
Sep 6, 2022
So I added everything up for both upgraded twins vs single build and I'd end up paying a little more for the twins considering I also have to upgrade my clutch due to the huge jump in torque.

I'll probably go single.

Reactions: Torgus

SLOWESTN54

Captain
Feb 9, 2021
B.C. Canada
Ride
2007 E92 335i
for that power I highly recommend a twins setup, it's simply way more responsive, car feels way more snappy. Were as a single will be a little lazy down low.

Reactions: martymil

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Maybe. A 3076 with bottom mount T4 twin scroll would likely be great.

I wouldn't factor the cost of maintenance in to the twin vs single decision though, all of that must be done either way. (Gaskets clutch fuel etc etc)

Reactions: wheela

n54praiser

Lurker
Sep 6, 2022
for that power I highly recommend a twins setup, it's simply way more responsive, car feels way more snappy. Were as a single will be a little lazy down low.
I don't think I necessarily want more power but rather power that holds for longer as 380whp feels plenty. This is what my power band currently looks like with MHD Stage 2+ OTS tune on 98 RON/93 oct. As can be seen the power drops off a cliff after 5500rpm making the car feel like it's towing something when I push it to 7000rpm. Ideally I'd want it to hold the same power to redline. Turbo longevity isn't a main concern as I don't daily it and the turbos are fairly new. Can this be addressed with a custom tune in combination with inlets/outlets and intercooler that doesn't use factory hoses (current one does)? Or are upgraded twins the only way? If yes, what kind of twins should I be looking at?

1693728581326.png

pbondar

Sergeant
May 30, 2020
If you look at my power curves my MHD V10 fell back badly after 5.5k as the OE turbos are just maxed out..

The TTE500s are still running peak power when they hit the 7k limiter..different animal…

Relative to a stock / MHD V10 you win all round..

Same east going tractable off the line with fast spool….massive rise in peak torque ..over 700nm vs 500nm for stock 35is and then steady climb all the way to the red line…perfect..for a road based car..it spins the wheels in 7th in the wet on 275/30 Conti sports contact 7s and you can see even a 3rd gear pull breaks traction in the dry occasionally
IMG_2014.png
and that’s with a Quaife LSD..do you need more ?

Reactions: seb.apprenti

n54praiser

Lurker
Sep 6, 2022
If you look at my power curves my MHD V10 fell back badly after 5.5k as the OE turbos are just maxed out..

The TTE500s are still running peak power when they hit the 7k limiter..different animal…

Relative to a stock / MHD V10 you win all round..

Same east going tractable off the line with fast spool….massive rise in peak torque ..over 700nm vs 500nm for stock 35is and then steady climb all the way to the red line…perfect..for a road based car..it spins the wheels in 7th in the wet on 275/30 Conti sports contact 7s and you can see even a 3rd gear pull breaks traction in the dry occasionallyView attachment 85399 and that’s with a Quaife LSD..do you need more ?
Thanks a lot for this, very insightful. This seems like exactly the kind of turbos I need if a custom tune can't give me what I want.

I'd probably go for a 500hp setup so I wouldn't have to upgrade my clutch. Do you think my current intercooler with stock connections would restrict flow for this kind of setup?

And do TTE require the turbos to be sent up front for the wastegates to be upgraded?

pbondar

Sergeant
May 30, 2020
If you are doing exchange then yes it’s an upgrade added to your turbos..

A custom tune is going to get you any further with the stock turbos..

MHD V10 is as far as it gets reliably on 98 Ron fuel

750nm will overwhelm many clutches you need to check..

FMIC depends where you live..yes it will take the edge off peak power and can cause knock issues if used aggressively

n54praiser

Lurker
Sep 6, 2022
If you are doing exchange then yes it’s an upgrade added to your turbos..

A custom tune is going to get you any further with the stock turbos..

MHD V10 is as far as it gets reliably on 98 Ron fuel

750nm will overwhelm many clutches you need to check..

FMIC depends where you live..yes it will take the edge off peak power and can cause knock issues if used aggressively
Damn so I'd be out of turbos till they send me my own rebuilt ones? Or do they rebuild mine and resell them later?

I'd go for a setup with around 660nm limit as that's the most my current clutch can hold and that's plenty of torque. With the upgraded twins I'm mostly looking for better top end.

Probably best to swap out my intercooler with a beefy 7 inch one too then.

Thx