Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars
Decided to take a crack at coming up with possible fixes of the failures for the N54/Early N55 HPFP's and possible upgrades and we all know they are needed for these cars.

This will be a project I work on in the side, but through the tear down process is shows a lot and answers a few questions I had about what could be failing and etc.

Don't come in this thread posting talking about what others may or may not have tried or what's available OR not. As I truly don't care. I will request to have it removed.

I'll post updates as I move along. Some early photos.....

tmp_20772-IMAG48541805788133.jpg
IMAG4805.jpg
IMAG4806.jpg
IMAG4807.jpg
IMAG4809.jpg

Last edited:

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Definitely subscribed to this. I've not given up hope on a true upgrade in capacity of some sort.

Reactions: Jsherry20

Jsherry20

Sergeant
Dec 21, 2016
I'm going to be following this closely as well, I'm curious what your thoughts are on the design of the HPFP.

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
I'm curious as to what can be done.. The type of pump is considered a swash plate style pump.. Some of the late E cars used similar ac compressors.. I'll look into some stuff and see if I can get my hands on some scrap pumps if it will be of any help.. I'd say look into swash plate pumps and how to increase their performance..

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
I've thought about this for years now and I'd think and most simple way of increasing performance is changing the angle of the swash plate.. Basically the equivalent of "stroking" the pump/engine.. It would be much less problematic than boring the pump/engine.. Like I said thought about it for years..
My stage 1 pump would be stroked
My stage 2 pump would be bored and stroked

I can't find time to to do the work I need to on my car let alone re-engineer an hpp lol

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
I love that someone new is diving into this. I spent a lot of time over the past couple years fooling around with this but I'm not really doing anything productive at the moment with the progress I made. Shoot me an email and I'd be happy to start a dialog and share parts of what I did -looks like you're covering ground but you may like some of the info/parts I could give you. If not, good luck and I look forward to seeing someone do something with it!

Best,
Chris

08_335i

Sergeant
Nov 3, 2016
Ride
2008 ST 335i
I love that someone new is diving into this. I spent a lot of time over the past couple years fooling around with this but I'm not really doing anything productive at the moment with the progress I made. Shoot me an email and I'd be happy to start a dialog and share parts of what I did -looks like you're covering ground but you may like some of the info/parts I could give you. If not, good luck and I look forward to seeing someone do something with it!

Best,
Chris
Always nice to see vendors willing to work together to push forward. Especially on something like the HPFP.

Reactions: BQTuning and RSTECH

JuniorB

Sergeant
May 9, 2017
Rhode Island
Ride
07 e60
It looks like a design similar to what a vanos solinoid does, could it be failing seals and o rings? That would be something if all you had to do was clean all the insides and replace the seals,lol

Nov 14, 2016
North Wilkesboro
It looks like a design similar to what a vanos solinoid does, could it be failing seals and o rings? That would be something if all you had to do was clean all the insides and replace the seals,lol

As much as I wish it was that simple.. it's not likely. The chamber/mechanism that pressurizes the fuel rail becomes far to weak to support WOT events and start up functions. It's probably a more mechanical failure. I'd have to research it more to give you a better answer but, the hpfp doesn't work similar to the Vanos Solenoids

Ilkka

Private
Sep 7, 2017
Ride
N54 335i e92
I just registered for giving the thumbs up for this! I hear you are advancing with the project. Personally I'd love to have even a marginal increase in the capacity for being able to run straight E85 instead of E60 and the need to mix. A simple swash plate change could do it. However, I will buy what ever solution you will come up with. :)

Reactions: Jeffman