Thoughts on wth I need to fix now

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
I am fbo with inlets outlets fully catless walnut blasted 5k ago new injectors and plugs 15k on hpfp and turbos and now my wgdc is high.
https://datazap.me/u/robby37/high-wgdc-i-think?log=0&data=3-22
Could this be boost solenoid aka pressure converter I changed one 10k miles ago because was groaning at idle if listened to engine with hood up. Yes I know that's prob not normal but I do these things. Anyway every time I stop looking something pops up I am pretty sure no boost leaks or vac leaks but will be checking I was just hoping someone could point me in right direction.

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
* I have no idea what I'm talking about

If the vacuum is weak, then the WGDC will go up to maintain the requested boost target?

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
That's what I'm wondering if maybe one of my boost solenoids is bad, every post I read people talk about them like their is only one though and how redundant our setup is. Does this mean both fail and people just do one and it's enough or does one fresh one carry the weak one I would think I should do both then but I don't know I think it was my rear one I did 2 yrs ago" about 10k miles"
This is why I end up doing stuff myself cause you would think spending tons of money mechanics would check this crap but I always have to diagnose stuff myself and in end waste more time where I should just done it to begin with.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
I have 2 used solenoids with 80k on them. Work flawlessly. I also have two with 50 miles on them, work flawlessly.

PM me if you want to buy a set.

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
16-17psi+ >5500rpm on stock turbos seems like a tall order to me, but boost is a relative thing. I can barely remember that far back when I still had stock turbos, but WGDC jumped massively 5000-5500rpm to keep just ~16psi without inlets/outlets and similar amb pressure (14.3 usually). I want to say it was already in the high 60s/low 70s by 5500rpm, so not entirely sure anything is wrong except maybe expectations vs. reality. At higher RPM, the engine will ingest more CFM than the stock turbos can produce and DC will need to ramp up exponentially to try to keep up as much as they can, but it's a losing battle and the higher the RPM, the bigger the deficit.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
I thought everything was fine but v8bait said it Is high only thing I have noticed was throttle closure after shift which he said doesnt concern him to much but I really can feel it. Weird is car almost feels faster 3 quarter throttle than wot sometimes which I think is from that throttle closure or post shift timing bog. V8 is very busy and I'm wondering if he is not factoring my inlets and outlets which I would think make me make less boost from less restriction.
On another note does everyone still run reduced torque tables with xhp ,I thought should be setup like manual with no scaling but v8 has them lowered I would think I should ask him to raise as I used to report higher on ots maps and think was prob better for transmission

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
I have 2 used solenoids with 80k on them. Work flawlessly. I also have two with 50 miles on them, work flawlessly.

PM me if you want to buy a set.
I will be testing mine hopefully tonight and will let you know thankyou

bahn

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Nov 5, 2016
Iowa
I thought everything was fine but v8bait said it Is high only thing I have noticed was throttle closure after shift which he said doesnt concern him to much but I really can feel it. Weird is car almost feels faster 3 quarter throttle than wot sometimes which I think is from that throttle closure or post shift timing bog. V8 is very busy and I'm wondering if he is not factoring my inlets and outlets which I would think make me make less boost from less restriction.
On another note does everyone still run reduced torque tables with xhp ,I thought should be setup like manual with no scaling but v8 has them lowered I would think I should ask him to raise as I used to report higher on ots maps and think was prob better for transmission

I'm not your tuner nor do I intend to step on any toes:

Wastegate doesn't seem too high IMO, especially with inlets and outlets. With xHP you can flash as a manual with no scaling even on xDrives (I removed the xDrive torque limiters for xHP a while ago). Interestingly you have an odd deviation in your bank 1 and 2 short term trims at 6000+ rpm, can you verify the bank 1 & 2 fuel scalars are identical? What index are the injectors?

Last edited:

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Not at all "stepping on toes "it was very hot and humid which doesnt help and he just said my wgdc was high my turbos looked tired and I know they are pretty new turbos from bmw. Anyway he said I couldn't really get any more boost at this point would have to raise octane to add timing. Im hoping this was an error and still can add little more boost as I never wind out anyway I usually shift around 6 to 6300 highest

Last edited:

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Bahn do you do custom xhp tunes I know we can use slider for shift speed now but i would love to have shift speed and torque reduction set for my transmission and power level especially once I install my pd upgrade

bahn

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Nov 5, 2016
Iowa
Not at all it was very hot and humid which doesnt help and he just said my wgdc was high my turbos looked tired and I know they are pretty new turbos from bmw. Anyway he said I couldn't really get any more boost at this point would have to raise octane to add timing. Im hoping this was an error and still can add little more boost as I never wind out anyway I usually shift around 6 to 6300 highest

Edited my original post:

Interestingly you have an odd deviation in your bank 1 and 2 short term trims at 6000+ rpm, can you verify the bank 1 & 2 fuel scalars are identical? What index are the injectors?

The difficulty is this; it's Justins name not mine or anyone elses on the line for that tune and this appears to be an e-tune and not a dyno tune. As for more boost and timing, it can take more in the mid-range however I agree with where Justin has it up top though for both timing and WGDC. Justin has a safe tune there, anymore WGDC and your newer stock turbos will start smoking in short order and guessing timing ( and fuel quality + fuel system health) is not something that should be done without a dyno. If you want to push it and you understand the potential consequences then let him know and get some dyno time.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
I have new index 12 injectors I did have new s55 plugs gapped at .31 I gapped down to .26 now and let car adapt a little will take new logs. I have zero complaints with justin he is great at what does I just got worried when he said turbos looked tired wasnt anything bad at all i was honestly hoping he was referencing fbo car and forgot I had inlets and outlets. I def dont want to go dangerous as far as timing but I wouldnt be opposed to wringing those little turbos until they sound like maracas lmao as I want to upgrade anyway but want car dialed in perfect first

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
I just checked older rev logs and my trims didnt do that I'm going to log again with long and short and see if is recurring thing could having changed my gap from .031 to .026 need a adaptation reset or cause anything funky like this ?

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
My stft def looked better driving home I didn't get any good logs in but noticed alot of 0 wgdc so am wondering if my dme is doing cilc adaptations and that was why my stft deviated a little

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Fwiw my turbos definitely *are* tired in some regards (example below), and I was also noticing some higher than expected WGDC + hitting boost later than I'd like. Thankfully I have a new 19t TD04 set on the way now, so I figured I'd preventatively change both solenoids and upgrade to 3.5mm vac tubing since both solenoids and all tubing have 12 years on them. Since putting the solenoids and a chunk of vac tubing on (+ adapt. reset) my WGDC has dropped significantly and I hit boost much easier on these old geezers.

Aforementioned example: I take a break after 2hrs at work and my commute takes 35-40min right now due to construction so the car gets nice and warm, then sits for ~2-3hrs, and if I go back to my car and run to the gas station on my break, for a few minutes it's like my car is puffing on a Cohiba when I stop. But no smoking on cold starts or during driving otherwise, only if it's been "heat cycled", and I only very rarely have WG rattle on cold starts if I don't enable CS noise reduction.

So my 2c? It's worth replacing both solenoids with the pierburgs and doing some of the tubing too. Whether or not it'll solve your problem I have no idea, but it's cheap and easy and your car will probably still run slightly better at worst. Some people might call that shade-tree style "throwing money at problems til they go away", but it's kinda like how my answer in the fb groups is to change plugs first, then try coils when people say "what's causing this misfire? I don't have MHD/cant pull codes but don't want to spend $145k on index 12 injectors". Definitely not saying you're anything like that Rob (far from it!), but maintenance items never hurt to replace and simple things can sometimes cause funny problems. The people you see talking about using one solenoid are probably ST people.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Fwiw my turbos definitely *are* tired in some regards (example below), and I was also noticing some higher than expected WGDC + hitting boost later than I'd like. Thankfully I have a new 19t TD04 set on the way now, so I figured I'd preventatively change both solenoids and upgrade to 3.5mm vac tubing since both solenoids and all tubing have 12 years on them. Since putting the solenoids and a chunk of vac tubing on (+ adapt. reset) my WGDC has dropped significantly and I hit boost much easier on these old geezers.

Aforementioned example: I take a break after 2hrs at work and my commute takes 35-40min right now due to construction so the car gets nice and warm, then sits for ~2-3hrs, and if I go back to my car and run to the gas station on my break, for a few minutes it's like my car is puffing on a Cohiba when I stop. But no smoking on cold starts or during driving otherwise, only if it's been "heat cycled", and I only very rarely have WG rattle on cold starts if I don't enable CS noise reduction.

So my 2c? It's worth replacing both solenoids with the pierburgs and doing some of the tubing too. Whether or not it'll solve your problem I have no idea, but it's cheap and easy and your car will probably still run slightly better at worst. Some people might call that shade-tree style "throwing money at problems til they go away", but it's kinda like how my answer in the fb groups is to change plugs first, then try coils when people say "what's causing this misfire? I don't have MHD/cant pull codes but don't want to spend $145k on index 12 injectors". Definitely not saying you're anything like that Rob (far from it!), but maintenance items never hurt to replace and simple things can sometimes cause funny problems. The people you see talking about using one solenoid are probably ST people.
Thankyou and I'm leaning toward new boost solenoids I'm sticking with twins so it's good idea anyway I have new vac lines when inlets were done and my ocd makes me want do anything remotely possible that helps hence bl coils and index 12 injectors when I had perfect logs and af ratios no leaks no smoke nothing. I even paid bmw to test my injectors and was told not to do them cause I had index 9 done under warranty at 40k miles and I still did them why cause they supposedly have better filter lmao.

Also how did the 3.5mm fit I sometimes worried about adding to much volume to system with my -5 braided line for tial bov and long vac canister run due to relocation?

Last edited:

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Could my stft be from worn o2 sensors or a I am wondering if I mixed up and never gapped my cyl 6 plug down to .026 from .031 cause I did 5 and 6 together I am going to check and I am going to replace my boost solenoids I think I may hit torgus up for spare but I think I'd rather install new as I just want this over with so I can go back to trying to make my intake

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
And this tune is really only my second rev because I was getting bad corrections until I changed from 95770 that had bad crush washers to new s55 plugs so just to show how capable v8bait is "want make clear that he is doing good job and this is still early revision so should not reflect on him I am just trying to do my part and make sure I have the hardware end taken care of"

Last edited:

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Could my stft be from worn o2 sensors or a I am wondering if I mixed up and never gapped my cyl 6 plug down to .026 from .031 cause I did 5 and 6 together I am going to check and I am going to replace my boost solenoids I think I may hit torgus up for spare but I think I'd rather install new as I just want this over with so I can go back to trying to make my intake
FWIW, my stft values dropped way down once I replaced my four index 5 and two index 8 injectors with index 12s

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
I just installed new index 12s and my trims are within 1 percent except when I rev out to 6200 and higher they start to deviate I'm hoping it could be gap on my last plug it rained last night so I didnt get to check
And first thought was improper coding but I would think that I would have variations throughout rev range if that was case. I have replaced everything except dme ,o2 sensors and one boost solenoid and maybe one or two vac lines so I'm just going to check those off the list