TD03 upgraded thrust bearing assy

mikeseli

Corporal
May 23, 2017
Ride
2009 BMW 335i
Many turbo builders in our platform like RB, VTT and Pure offer upgraded TD03 thrust bearing assy when they use a TD03 turbine shaft/wheel however when I asked for rebuilt kits from various reputable turbo manufacturers they look at me as if I'm from another planet.

Does anyone have a picture of this upgraded TD03 thrust bearing kit that shows what differences are to a typical TD03 thrust bearing kit.

Is the upgraded thrust bearing kit also made from a different material? I've seen upgraded steel thrust bearing for TD04 but these require oil rich in zinc concentration. Are the upgraded TD03 thrust bearing made from steel or brass?

Is the casted housing for the CHRA reworked to accommodate this upgrade thrust bearing?

How can I get my hands on a set so I can experiment and rebuild my own CHRA.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I'd imagine you'll get little help on these issues as they are probably considered secret sauce but I'm subscribed just in case.

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
'08 335i, '14 M6, '15 Tundra
We actually have had ours custom made for our TD03 offerings as we found no off the shelf availability on these parts made to the standards for which we wished (nearing a year ago). In fact when ordering more a while back we had to order another 100 sets and wait 2 more months for them (meaning they have only what we order). In short you will not find what we have custom made anywhere, it is likely due to the lack of demand with TD03 CHRA style upgrades pre-N54. Also yes we machine the CHRA itself to accept the much larger thrust collar bearings.