SYVECS running N54 _ WHo has one?

LoBoost

Sergeant
Dec 22, 2017
Ride
2008 135i, 2014 GTR
The N54 Syvecs kit works very well and gives you full control of the engine. The can bus integration is also correct and feeds/receives data as the stock DME does.

The N54 Syvecs kit is a S6plus ecu with a pnp patch harness. This allows the kit to be completely pnp WITH THE STOCK CONFIGURATION. Any changes in strategy or features will require both wiring and tuning changes (like any other pnp ecu).

The "kit" is primarily configured for Alpha N fueling because of how the stock dme and engine is configured. This is not a "con", but should be noted. I convert them to speed density before I start tuning. This requires both wiring, sensor, and calibration changes to the "pnp" kit.

Add inputs and outputs are straightforward and I would assume anyone in the market for a $5k ecu is either capable or has someone capable of these changes.

The biggest advantages over stock dme flashing are the ones most people dont realize they need:

1) "What you see is what you get." The values in the logs are accurate.
2) "full control of strategy." How the engine is tuned and what strategies are used to control it are user selectable.
3) "transparency." There are no behind the scenes tables you dont have access to that can influence the tune.
4) live tuning and logging at "usable" sample rates

My only complaint is the limit of inputs and outputs available.

@AD-ENG

I used the contact form on your site, but can you make / sell me a speed density kit for Syvecs?

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
The N54 Syvecs kit works very well and gives you full control of the engine. The can bus integration is also correct and feeds/receives data as the stock DME does.

The N54 Syvecs kit is a S6plus ecu with a pnp patch harness. This allows the kit to be completely pnp WITH THE STOCK CONFIGURATION. Any changes in strategy or features will require both wiring and tuning changes (like any other pnp ecu).

The "kit" is primarily configured for Alpha N fueling because of how the stock dme and engine is configured. This is not a "con", but should be noted. I convert them to speed density before I start tuning. This requires both wiring, sensor, and calibration changes to the "pnp" kit.

Add inputs and outputs are straightforward and I would assume anyone in the market for a $5k ecu is either capable or has someone capable of these changes.

The biggest advantages over stock dme flashing are the ones most people dont realize they need:

1) "What you see is what you get." The values in the logs are accurate.
2) "full control of strategy." How the engine is tuned and what strategies are used to control it are user selectable.
3) "transparency." There are no behind the scenes tables you dont have access to that can influence the tune.
4) live tuning and logging at "usable" sample rates

My only complaint is the limit of inputs and outputs available.
Thanks for the comprehensive write up. I’m specifically interested to hear from Syvecs owners who have DCT as @dyezak has said control of the box is somewhat a black art. Has anyone here had any experience with that?

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Agreed, if it weren't for Jake I would have gone Syvecs back on Thanksgiving when they had their big black Friday sale.
Need to clone him is all. Otherwise we need to pitch in for a round the world ticket so he can work on my car

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
I'll be on the learning curve soon to, but no dct so can't help you there.
That’s fine - I still think that others would benefit from hearing about your experience. It’s a bit of an enigma except for what Andy has posted so i think itll help

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I plan to document my installation, harness building, overall experience, etc.
Excellent! Feel free to post in the Advanced Tuning section, once I see those threads rolling in I'll have found a suitable place for it by then. We are on the verge of a major update on the board and there are several moving elements I'm still waiting to settle.

Reactions: LoBoost

JimmyNeutron

Lurker
Feb 11, 2018
Ride
2009 E90 335i
I'm in the process of placing an order for the kit right now. In my opinion, it sounds like the need to modify the stock wiring harness has been overstated. I contacted [email protected] about whether modifications to the harness are necessary and whether the ECU is capable of speed-density fueling right out of the box. Here's what they had to say:

"The OEM map sensor is not in the intake, it's before the throttle body hence we calibrate the fueling in a 4D manner which works very well. If you want to do as 3D speed density then you need to just move the map sensor to Baro sensor place."

That's all they said. The rep did not mention what parameter is the extra input to the the fueling strategy's 4-dimensional model, but it has to be either throttle position or the low range manifold pressure sensor (which is located on the intake manifold). Use of exclusively alpha-N (which uses throttle position and engine speed) to develop a model for engine load is archaic and not likely be used in a modern ECU because it does not accurately compensate for intake air temperature or pressure. This type of fueling strategy was used in early EFI systems and has been replaced with Volumetric Efficiency and Speed-Density models. Syvecs chose to use a 4-D model for fueling so that absolutely no modification to the engine or harness was necessary and the stock sensor locations are preserved, i.e. the kit is truly plug-and-play. No harness modification is necessary.

What is clear, however, is that replacing the sensor on your intake manifold with your 3.5 Bar (or 4 Bar, or whatever you're running...) TMAP sensor from your chargepipe, and eliminating the third input to the Syvecs engine load model is all that needs to be done in order to run a traditional Speed-Density model featuring engine speed and manifold pressure. Again, no harness modification is necessary.

Another interesting idea I asked about is reconfiguring the Syvecs ECU's lambda control. The stock N54's lambda control is configured for two cylinder banks, and all the big single turbo kits on the market have placed the lambda sensor locations at the inlet of the turbo to preserve this configuration. The major consequence of moving the lambda sensor from the turbo outlet to the turbo inlet is premature sensor failure due to harsher operating conditions. Why not have a single sensor on the turbo downpipe that controls a single bank of all 6 cylinders (like the N55) so you can run the OE lambda sensor without a failure every few months? Syvecs says this is easily accomplished. So if you're wondering how to justify the price of the ECU, just convince yourself that 6 years worth of O2 sensor replacements will pay for the kit.

rac

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2016
Australia
Ride
135i ST
Another interesting idea I asked about is reconfiguring the Syvecs ECU's lambda control. The stock N54's lambda control is configured for two cylinder banks, and all the big single turbo kits on the market have placed the lambda sensor locations at the inlet of the turbo to preserve this configuration. The major consequence of moving the lambda sensor from the turbo outlet to the turbo inlet is premature sensor failure due to harsher operating conditions. Why not have a single sensor on the turbo downpipe that controls a single bank of all 6 cylinders (like the N55) so you can run the OE lambda sensor without a failure every few months? Syvecs says this is easily accomplished. So if you're wondering how to justify the price of the ECU, just convince yourself that 6 years worth of O2 sensor replacements will pay for the kit.

I'm doing this actually today, it's going to buy me back several years of sanity.

LoBoost

Sergeant
Dec 22, 2017
Ride
2008 135i, 2014 GTR
If its helpful for anyone, I shopped around for my Syvecs setup from several vendors, and AMS (the GTR people) had the best price I could find.

N54 PNP kit, Bluetooth module, Calibration Switch, Shipping + Shipping insurance, total was 5258.51

Kit took about 3 or 4 weeks to go from the UK to AMS and then to me.

You can probably skip the calibration switch (39.96) if you get the Bluetooth dongle. The Syvecs Pro app should let you switch between calibrations on the fly from within the app.

P.S. The Syvecs pro app has been around for a while for iOS, but is now also available for Android!

Edit, I also have a basemap that Syvecs sent me. I doubt its locked to my ECU so I could potentially share it.

Reactions: dyezak and kayzrx82

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
I’d like that basemap at xxx

Also, on a Syvecs you could set up the car to run at idle and light load under port injection only eliminating all that DI clatter from our injectors while the engine is idling. As a byproduct keep the valves clean.

Add on to that the O2 sensor move and it becomes extremely interesting...

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Sshec152

LoBoost

Sergeant
Dec 22, 2017
Ride
2008 135i, 2014 GTR
I’d like that basemap at [email protected].

Also, on a Syvecs you could set up the car to run at idle and light load under port injection only eliminating all that DI clatter from our injectors while the engine is idling. As a byproduct keep the valves clean.

Add on to that the O2 sensor move and it becomes extremely interesting...

Basemap sent sir.