Readiness - Catalyst

corbanistan

Corporal
Jul 26, 2021
Florida, USA
Ride
E93 335i 6MT
Hey guys, would any of you who typically had the idle / cruise oscillation issue be able to work w/ us at MHD on a better fix to this?

We added these changes to the app as of 3.0x release, but after doing some more digging we are not happy with the inhibited lambda diagnostics / inability to set O2 / O2 heater readiness. So we would like to see if there is perhaps a better method. If you have WhatsApp, that would be preferable.

Thank you
Yeah I had the oscillations on I8A0S before working out how to deal with them on this forum; did a lot of digging into the docs. My state doesn't require emissions testing so it wasn't a big deal but if you need my help let me know.

335iN54

Lurker
Sep 4, 2021
Hey guys, would any of you who typically had the idle / cruise oscillation issue be able to work w/ us at MHD on a better fix to this?

We added these changes to the app as of 3.0x release, but after doing some more digging we are not happy with the inhibited lambda diagnostics / inability to set O2 / O2 heater readiness. So we would like to see if there is perhaps a better method. If you have WhatsApp, that would be preferable.

Thank you
So is the current V3 solution causing any issues and better to roll back to the previous versions until this is resolved?

corbanistan

Corporal
Jul 26, 2021
Florida, USA
Ride
E93 335i 6MT
Can you try flashing w/ MHD flash option set to OEM DP (this will remove the oscillation changes), and also set that Torque Eff table to 1.0 in the 13.x and 16.x AFR cells? That won't stop the lambda oscillation obviously, but I'm curious if it will stop the throttle oscillation during it at cruise.
Mine is stock too. I'll go ahead and try this tonight

corbanistan

Corporal
Jul 26, 2021
Florida, USA
Ride
E93 335i 6MT
Can you try flashing w/ MHD flash option set to OEM DP (this will remove the oscillation changes), and also set that Torque Eff table to 1.0 in the 13.x and 16.x AFR cells? That won't stop the lambda oscillation obviously, but I'm curious if it will stop the throttle oscillation during it at cruise.
I'm getting no oscillations during cruise. But I can't be sure it was the change you had us do. I'm going to look more into this and make sure everything else is reset back to stock. I'll also post a log soon.

KClemente

Sergeant
Nov 26, 2019
Ride
E90 335i
I’m getting very obvious double helix oscillation during my cruise tests with the Eff table set to 1.0 at the requested cells

mj6234

Corporal
Nov 25, 2020
Sorry, I had a phone issue and just got it back from repair. Samsung sucks. Mine is also stock. Do you want me to still test this as well?

Darkrom

Oct 17, 2021
I had this issue and am happy to say the latest beta app MHD sent me resolved the issue completely. It does look like it is preventing readiness for me at the moment, but at least I'm not chasing other issues for the throttle. The car drives great now. I'm IJEOS and happy to test anything that will help.

Reactions: wheela

335iN54

Lurker
Sep 4, 2021
Would you be able to elaborate on the latest solution offered on mhd 3.09?

With 3.05 O2 readiness was always INCOMPLETE.
Is this still the case once we tick the new box in 3.09 options?

Curios to understand how this works and whether it actually disregards secondary O2s ?
Would the dme still be able to pick and throw O2 codes if the sensors are faulty?

Thanks

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
It will be incomplete with the option selected. It was split off as a separate flash option for those who need those readiness checks to run. Then afterward you can select the option again.

335iN54

Lurker
Sep 4, 2021
It will be incomplete with the option selected. It was split off as a separate flash option for those who need those readiness checks to run. Then afterward you can select the option again.
Fair enough.
Does this make secondary O2s redundant?

I was under the impression from the thread discussions that the oscillation is likely due to the catalyst readiness diagnosis, not the O2 readiness.

Geoff

Lurker
Sep 24, 2022
I just want to be clear that this isn't a new feature or a fix that everyone needs. This is just a fix for a specific issue that @studio54 was experiencing with his car. If your car has lambda readings that oscillate across eachother in a helix pattern then post a log here and we can try find out what toggles work for your circumstance.

I have seen the lambda oscillations in a lot of logs for catless cars but the causes vary. It seems they all stem from diagnostic routines but there's not just one that can cause this dancing afr issue. They are only present below 4k rpm and at low pedal input so most people don't know they are there and don't pick up on the associated surging feeling it generates.

I personally had the problem on both my cars and I started digging and it turned out to be caused by the catalyst efficiency diagnostic routine so I disabled that and everything is happy. The fix on my INA0S cars was completely different to Studio54's I8A0S car. It might just be that the routines are slightly different between MSD80 and MSD81.

This is only applicable to custom tuners though. The OTS maps are locked for a reason and it's not fair to Wedge to change that. If there's some consensus on the fix maybe it will be added into the "catless downpipe" tickbox in MHD but that would need buy-in from Jake and probably need a few more case studies.

Geoff

Lurker
Sep 24, 2022
I just want to be clear that this isn't a new feature or a fix that everyone needs. This is just a fix for a specific issue that @studio54 was experiencing with his car. If your car has lambda readings that oscillate across eachother in a helix pattern then post a log here and we can try find out what toggles work for your circumstance.

I have seen the lambda oscillations in a lot of logs for catless cars but the causes vary. It seems they all stem from diagnostic routines but there's not just one that can cause this dancing afr issue. They are only present below 4k rpm and at low pedal input so most people don't know they are there and don't pick up on the associated surging feeling it generates.

I personally had the problem on both my cars and I started digging and it turned out to be caused by the catalyst efficiency diagnostic routine so I disabled that and everything is happy. The fix on my INA0S cars was completely different to Studio54's I8A0S car. It might just be that the routines are slightly different between MSD80 and MSD81.

This is only applicable to custom tuners though. The OTS maps are locked for a reason and it's not fair to Wedge to change that. If there's some consensus on the fix maybe it will be added into the "catless downpipe" tickbox in MHD but that would need buy-in from Jake and probably need a few more case studies.
This is a log at low rpm.

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
What you have there isn't the same that others are suffering so the fixes that are incorporated into MHD aren't going to solve that.

It still looks like Lambda stimulation though so probably also caused by a diagnostic routine. Do you have any error codes?

If you unzip the file I've attached and drop it in the MHD root folder and go into the MHD logging settings you should now be able to log 3 extra channels. Bank 1 AFR Target, Bank 2 AFR Target and Bank 1 Stimulation. Tick these and also add the Fuel Mode parameter. Your next log should then give some additional detail. This will tell you exactly what AFR the DME is targeting and also the value of the diagnostic routines stimulation.

Attachments

• I8A0S_UserChannels.zip
    379 bytes · Views: 10

Geoff

Lurker
Sep 24, 2022
What you have there isn't the same that others are suffering so the fixes that are incorporated into MHD aren't going to solve that.

It still looks like Lambda stimulation though so probably also caused by a diagnostic routine. Do you have any error codes?

If you unzip the file I've attached and drop it in the MHD root folder and go into the MHD logging settings you should now be able to log 3 extra channels. Bank 1 AFR Target, Bank 2 AFR Target and Bank 1 Stimulation. Tick these and also add the Fuel Mode parameter. Your next log should then give some additional detail. This will tell you exactly what AFR the DME is targeting and also the value of the diagnostic routines stimulation.
I will do that this evening. I have no error codes
Shadow code lpfp