RB High Flow Oil Drains Initial Impressions Unboxing Details

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Hello all, this is an initial impression of the RB High Flow N54 Oil Drains after unboxing with detailed video of the product I will do another followup review after install.
Reason for this? After installing my new Pure High Flow Stage 2 turbos, I did a one week then two week leak inspection and saw micro-leaks around the drains and also from top of the turbo. I suspect it is the oil feel lines and MAYBE the drains. So I am going to teardown and replacement with new lines again, this time will use the RB High Flows Drains for peace of mind.

Install may be more involved if there is any physical lines clashing with each other, but nothing my dremel can't fix in less than a minute. Over-all, the kit looks promising and certainly more diameter than the stock lines.

VT

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Just curious, did you replace all those oil lines while installing the turbos along with using new gaskets and the flat gasket treatment on the turbo feed line etc? New OE lines definitely should not leak or cause smoking if installed correctly. Initially I was sold on getting them myself because of going with the 1Ks (bigger turbo surely means a bigger line wouldn't hurt, right?) until talking to my mechanic.

I was actually discouraged from ordering these drains by the shop who did my turbo install for a few reasons; #1 being what I mentioned above about how new OE lines and the proper install procedure should mean they'll be fine for another 100k+ miles (my lines weren't even leaking at the time of removal around ~115-120k but actual turbo seal was bum on the rear turbo), #2 being that this product was in the minds of many made just to help bandaid smoking on the poorer quality older hybrids of the late 00s-early 10s, and #3 because of the several they've installed, they noticed that the welding was done both inconsistently and without using any "filler" material, which made aligning and fitment more difficult. They also told me that the stock lines provide more than sufficient flow (assuming no kinks or rough bends) even with larger turbos, not only due to the lines themselves being good enough but also because of the journaling inside of the turbos themselves being better than the stock turbos.

These are all just questions out of curiousity and for discussion btw, not attacking your choice at all and I do genuinely hope that these or something similar fixes your issue. I can definitely understand wanting to go the "better safe than sorry" route and that's why I also opted for coated bearings on my 1Ks. I'm curious to see what your experience will be and if these will cure things for you. Hopefully theres no actual issues with any of the seals for you, because then unfortunately no amount of oil draining or PCV/vacuum modification will help and that would certainly suck to have to deal with on some new Pures.

• Disagree
Reactions: The Convert

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I use these on all my turbo installs, some say they are not necessary but I never ever had smoking issues or other related problems with these.

One thing I changed is and better quality Gates hose instead of the ones supplied with this kit because the original supplied hose only lasted
a year before it started to weep. Also change the hose with every turbo install, never reuse old hose.

You wont regret installing these when done properly.

Reactions: The Convert

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
I was actually discouraged from ordering these drains by the shop who did my turbo install for a few reasons; #1 being what I mentioned above about how new OE lines and the proper install procedure should mean they'll be fine for another 100k+ miles (my lines weren't even leaking at the time of removal around ~115-120k but actual turbo seal was bum on the rear turbo), #2 being that this product was in the minds of many made just to help bandaid smoking on the poorer quality older hybrids of the late 00s-early 10s, and #3 because of the several they've installed, they noticed that the welding was done both inconsistently and without using any "filler" material, which made aligning and fitment more difficult. They also told me that the stock lines provide more than sufficient flow (assuming no kinks or rough bends) even with larger turbos, not only due to the lines themselves being good enough but also because of the journaling inside of the turbos themselves being better than the stock turbos.

#1. new lines should be sufficient, no doubt there. The turbo oil is pressurized and flowing at a consistent rate and thus, should flow back into the oil pan the same regardless of internal turbo passages. That said, increasing the size of the drain will do nothing but ease the draining of oil back into the pan. You should see ZERO I’ll effect by increasing line size. You would, however, see negative effects by reducing line size.

#2. Not sure what any original intent behind the genesis of the product has to do with its performance.

#3. I don’t see how a lack of weld filler could have any negative effect on fitting a hose on a tube. If anything, you’d see the opposite by having too much weld filler and it would get in the way.

One thing I changed is and better quality Gates hose instead of the ones supplied with this kit because the original supplied hose only lasted
a year before it started to weep.
I’m with Marty 100% on that. Heater hose should not be used for oil. It’s not made for it and it will weep through 100%.

Reactions: martymil

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Just curious, did you replace all those oil lines while installing the turbos along with using new gaskets and the flat gasket treatment on the turbo feed line etc? New OE lines definitely should not leak or cause smoking if installed correctly. Initially I was sold on getting them myself because of going with the 1Ks (bigger turbo surely means a bigger line wouldn't hurt, right?) until talking to my mechanic.

These are all just questions out of curiousity and for discussion btw, not attacking your choice at all and I do genuinely hope that these or something similar fixes your issue. I can definitely understand wanting to go the "better safe than sorry" route and that's why I also opted for coated bearings on my 1Ks. I'm curious to see what your experience will be and if these will cure things for you. Hopefully theres no actual issues with any of the seals for you, because then unfortunately no amount of oil draining or PCV/vacuum modification will help and that would certainly suck to have to deal with on some new Pures.

I only replaced the metal gasket and reused the old oil drain lines after cleaning. In any case, your mechanic was correct in his assessment. I tried to install these and after a day, I called it quits. I could only install the rear one. The front one was impossible to install even after an hour of grinding the connector where it jams up against the coolant line.

RB recommends installing these lines while the turbos are off the car but I could not justify taking the turbos off the car for only leaks at the oil drain lines. Now after reading martymill's comments about the RB supplied hose weeping after one year, I will have to order these Gates hoses... oh fuck it, I will just re-install the new rear factory oil drain lines and call it a day.

what a colossal waste of time and money. lesson learned.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I'm confused - you installed new factory lines with your turbos and they weeped. The assessment was bad factory lines? Bad connector? What's at fault? Are you saying the factory lines don't work (weeping lines would fit that definition)? I'm sort of lost as to why you decided to go the RB lines? Would love to know why you had a leak on a fresh install? Hope you sort it out!

Filippo

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
The rb drains are no waste of time and are worth every penny, highly recommended.

They are a pain but I never installed after but always during install of turbos.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
#1. new lines should be sufficient, no doubt there. The turbo oil is pressurized and flowing at a consistent rate and thus, should flow back into the oil pan the same regardless of internal turbo passages. That said, increasing the size of the drain will do nothing but ease the draining of oil back into the pan. You should see ZERO I’ll effect by increasing line size. You would, however, see negative effects by reducing line size.

#2. Not sure what any original intent behind the genesis of the product has to do with its performance.

#3. I don’t see how a lack of weld filler could have any negative effect on fitting a hose on a tube. If anything, you’d see the opposite by having too much weld filler and it would get in the way.
Not sure why you felt the need to negative rep me over my post, when as I said in the same post I wasnt trying to discourage the OP or shit on the product. The only things I said that might be taken the wrong way if you were trying to, were that using new OE oil lines are usually sufficient (which you agreed), and that the fitment can be difficult due to the welding technique - as OP found out, and as others have found out as well. I agree the original intent of the product has no impact on why the OP bought them - I was simply saying why I was told they were unnecessary for my situation. I dont see what there is to "disagree" on.

I'm confused - you installed new factory lines with your turbos and they weeped. The assessment was bad factory lines? Bad connector? What's at fault? Are you saying the factory lines don't work (weeping lines would fit that definition)? I'm sort of lost as to why you decided to go the RB lines? Would love to know why you had a leak on a fresh install? Hope you sort it out!

Filippo
It sounds like he didn't initially replace the oil drains with new ones, just cleaned them off a bit. He decided to just install new factory lines instead.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93

Filippo

When the new turbos were installed, I ordered new lines, but only the coolant lines came in and the oil feed lines...but no oil drain lines came. So I went ahead and cleaned the old ones and put new seals on the old drain lines and called it a day.

The old drain lines are the only lines that are leaking a tiny bit. So I ordered RB drain lines...a disaster not worth spending all that time grinding only to fit without absolute certainty of flush mounting surface. It is literally impossible to know if the mounting surface is level even after you get it to fit.

I didn't want to risk leaking again so I installed new OE oil drain lines on the front.... and NOW with martymill's insight that the RB supplied hoses weep after a year, I am going to just remove the already installed rear RB lines and replace them with brand new OE oil drain lines for the rear.

That be all.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
The rb drains are no waste of time and are worth every penny, highly recommended.

They are a pain but I never installed after but always during install of turbos.

You Never installed them after?... You a smart man. Don't ever waste your time trying to install them after turbos are mounted. That's a whole day of work and you only get uncertainty in the end.

Reactions: martymil

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Not sure why you felt the need to negative rep me over my post, when as I said in the same post I wasnt trying to discourage the OP or shit on the product. The only things I said that might be taken the wrong way if you were trying to, were that using new OE oil lines are usually sufficient (which you agreed), and that the fitment can be difficult due to the welding technique - as OP found out, and as others have found out as well. I agree the original intent of the product has no impact on why the OP bought them - I was simply saying why I was told they were unnecessary for my situation. I dont see what there is to "disagree" on.

It sounds like he didn't initially replace the oil drains with new ones, just cleaned them off a bit. He decided to just install new factory lines instead.
I disagreed with some of the points that were made by the mechanic you referenced. So, I disagreed with your post. If you’re so worried about rep points on a forum, then you should be taking that up with @doublespaces not me. I disagreed, therefore I chose the correct item which is titled disagree.

• Funny
Reactions: Panzerfaust

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Shit... I just realized, I cannot replace the RB lines with the new stock OE oil drain lines...I used the two metal gaskets already. Godamnit....

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Shit... I just realized, I cannot replace the RB lines with the new stock OE oil drain lines...I used the two metal gaskets already. Godamnit....
Just get a new piece of oil rated hose and enjoy the larger diameter line that will have less chance of draining too slowly causing smoking exhaust.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I'm wondering about the hose upgrade. I pulled my RB set out, as I've not installed it yet. Mine came with Gates 10LOLA 5/8" hose, which is correct for this application. I'm assuming from the commentary here, that you all are saying yours didn't come with this Gates hose?

I might suggest that anyone doing the installation carefully inspect the o-ring - it can have issues from manufacture, but more to the point someone else installed it so it could be marred during installation. Not saying this happened in this case - it is prudent to check the o-ring for any deformation or cuts, and a dab of oil on the o-ring before it makes its way in.

Filippo

IMG_20191225_085751.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Panzerfaust and PFS

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
When the new turbos were installed, I ordered new lines, but only the coolant lines came in and the oil feed lines...but no oil drain lines came. So I went ahead and cleaned the old ones and put new seals on the old drain lines and called it a day.
Ah now I understand. Argh that's frustrating. Hope you sort it out quick.

Filippo

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Ah now I understand. Argh that's frustrating. Hope you sort it out quick.

Filippo

Yeah, I just ordered another set of metal drain gaskets arriving Friday...cutting it close for Saturday dynotuning session.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
I'm wondering about the hose upgrade. I pulled my RB set out, as I've not installed it yet. Mine came with Gates 10LOLA 5/8" hose, which is correct for this application. I'm assuming from the commentary here, that you all are saying yours didn't come with this Gates hose?

I might suggest that anyone doing the installation carefully inspect the o-ring - it can have issues from manufacture, but more to the point someone else installed it so it could be marred during installation. Not saying this happened in this case - it is prudent to check the o-ring for any deformation or cuts, and a dab of oil on the o-ring before it makes its way in.

Filippo

View attachment 33989

I will double check my hose to see what brand it is. If it is Gates, then I'm going to let the rear installed drain remain and move on to the driver side ATF cooler bracket mount installation... that's just as a nightmare job as this was.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93

Filippo

View attachment 33989
No such luck for me... no logo, just AM071019 02:11:47 inscribed on the hose.... it does feel like an extremely rugged hose though with the white reinforcement threads inside the rubber walls.