RB High Flow Oil Drains Initial Impressions Unboxing Details

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
I'm wondering about the hose upgrade. I pulled my RB set out, as I've not installed it yet. Mine came with Gates 10LOLA 5/8" hose, which is correct for this application. I'm assuming from the commentary here, that you all are saying yours didn't come with this Gates hose?

I might suggest that anyone doing the installation carefully inspect the o-ring - it can have issues from manufacture, but more to the point someone else installed it so it could be marred during installation. Not saying this happened in this case - it is prudent to check the o-ring for any deformation or cuts, and a dab of oil on the o-ring before it makes its way in.

Filippo

View attachment 33989

hmmmm, this model Gates hose operating range is
  • Temperature range: -40°F to +212°F (-40°C to +100°C)
  • Air to +160°F (+71°C) only
That does not seem correct for our environments where the oil could often get from 220ºf to 250ºf and even over that on track days with oil coolers installed in the cars.

• Agree
Reactions: Asbjorn

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
hmmmm, this model Gates hose operating range is
  • Temperature range: -40°F to +212°F (-40°C to +100°C)
  • Air to +160°F (+71°C) only
That does not seem correct for our environments where the oil could often get from 220ºf to 250ºf and even over that on track days with oil coolers installed in the cars.
Well good catch, I didn't pick up on the temperature line.

Here are a few hoses, oil-rated, with temp range in approximately -40°F to +300°F : Gates 10MEGATECHLOCXREEL and Gates 5C5DXREEL ... and maybe this Parker 436-10-BLU-BX Compact High Temperature Hose (they sell by the foot). Since @martymil actually replaced his hose, wondering if he recalls what he used?

Filippo

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Well good catch, I didn't pick up on the temperature line.

Here are a few hoses, oil-rated, with temp range in approximately -40°F to +300°F : Gates 10MEGATECHLOCXREEL and Gates 5C5DXREEL … and maybe this Parker 436-10-BLU-BX Compact High Temperature Hose (they sell by the foot). Since @martymil actually replaced his hose, wondering if he recalls what he used?

Filippo

I just went to MSCN local fittings and hose supplier and ordered the right hose for application, I just said I want the best highest rated temp hose and they supplied Gates.

The original hose weeped in a short period of time, I still have some left I can dig it up after the holidays.

Those hoses are ptfe, might not work

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Think we used transmission oil hose as its rated for -40f to 300f and 250 psi.

Dont quote me on it but I can check it out after the holidays and get back to you guys.

Reactions: fmorelli

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I thought PTFE was extremely resistant to chemicals (including oil) - do I have that wrong?

Filippo

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I don't think they will work with the rb drains as.they are not designed for that type of fitting.

You can try it and get back to us.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
I don't think they will work with the rb drains as.they are not designed for that type of fitting.

It seems strange and negligent on the part of RB to sell hoses that are not compatible with the intended design. That's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride

Pretty sure this is accurate. Every ptfe hose I’ve seen had a ptfe liner and a reinforced “rubber” jacket and had to use one form of crimp style fitting or another.

• Informative
Reactions: fmorelli