Platinum Racing Products New N54 GTR Coil kit for 335I

rac

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2016
Australia
Ride
135i ST
So serious question, not looking to pick fight. Why go GTR coils over say the PRs which are effectively similar to the much better high output coils (diyautotune, aem etc). Desire to have commonly available COPs versus niche CNPs? Is there concern of the longevity of PR staying in business?

I'm considering adding water (only) injection in my future and have tossed up the pros and cons of CDI versus high output induction coils. I have a stand alone so the options are all there, but the R35 seems a downgrade even for stock dme guys compared to what is already available to them at a lower price point. School me....

Reactions: DamnDatsun

Milan

Sergeant
Dec 24, 2016
jebi se
Ride
your mom
Sorry the FB link is part of our Aussie forum so it won't work unless your a member. With a kit built by these guys I highly doubt it will be some sort of cheap china crap. You can see the loom and connectors above in the photos. Obviously once I see more photos I will upload.

Any chance you know when they will officially launch?

tisdrew

Corporal
Jun 27, 2017
Ride
09 335i 6MT
So serious question, not looking to pick fight. Why go GTR coils over say the PRs which are effectively similar to the much better high output coils (diyautotune, aem etc). Desire to have commonly available COPs versus niche CNPs? Is there concern of the longevity of PR staying in business?

I'm considering adding water (only) injection in my future and have tossed up the pros and cons of CDI versus high output induction coils. I have a stand alone so the options are all there, but the R35 seems a downgrade even for stock dme guys compared to what is already available to them at a lower price point. School me....

If you just want the summary table, it's at 11:36 timestamp.

tisdrew

Corporal
Jun 27, 2017
Ride
09 335i 6MT
I bought genuine hitachi coils for $75 each for a set of 4 for my SR20.

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
ah yeah well that is my question. the pr coils are going to be similar in behaviour to the #1 position... @V8bait ?

PR coils are 118mJ, similar to AEM IGN1A although the PR is more powerful than their smart coil because the dumb coil doesn't rely on integrated electronics getting hot by the engine (that's why ign1 has higher output than the 1a). Unfortunately they didn't test any dumb coils because it takes additional hardware to drive them. I do have a few questions on their setup but it's not a big deal. When I tested coils I used a nice function generator PR has, it allowed me to set dwell, frequency etc with a nice 5V square wave. Looks like they were using a relay? Interesting nonetheless. Nice to know the design I chose to adapt for the n54 DME is still the most powerful.

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
PR coils are 118mJ, similar to AEM IGN1A although the PR is more powerful than their smart coil because the dumb coil doesn't rely on integrated electronics getting hot by the engine (that's why ign1 has higher output than the 1a). Unfortunately they didn't test any dumb coils because it takes additional hardware to drive them. I do have a few questions on their setup but it's not a big deal. When I tested coils I used a nice function generator PR has, it allowed me to set dwell, frequency etc with a nice 5V square wave. Looks like they were using a relay? Interesting nonetheless. Nice to know the design I chose to adapt for the n54 DME is still the most powerful.
We may end up going just IGN-1A's for our smart coil needs. We have a set here and have been waiting since November for PRP to sell us a couple of sets of these. We preferred these for ease of install, and much more simple wring (3 wires compared to 5 per coil), but at this point, its been quite a while and were a little tired of waiting. We planned to do some back to back testing as we always do, but others can take care of that. 🤷‍♂️

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
We may end up going just IGN-1A's for our smart coil needs. We have a set here and have been waiting since November for PRP to sell us a couple of sets of these. We preferred these for ease of install, and much more simple wring (3 wires compared to 5 per coil), but at this point, its been quite a while and were a little tired of waiting. We planned to do some back to back testing as we always do, but others can take care of that. 🤷‍♂️

IGN1A are great coils, you won't have any issues there whatsoever. Stand alone systems give you lots of options.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I think this is on everybody's mind and some customers have asked me "whats the advantage of running this kit over a PR setup"

From the answers provided am I safe to assume nothing and they cost more than PR coils ?

rac

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2016
Australia
Ride
135i ST
the price of PR set is pretty damn good, taking into consideration the adaptors and boots are part of it. people should be taking advantage of the fact the dme has IGBT built in.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I love future proofing so I hope PR doesn't go out of business in my lifetime.

That's the only issue I'm worried about and only advantage I see these coils might have as they will be readily available from Nissan for an extremely long time.

rac

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2016
Australia
Ride
135i ST
if they went out of business you would just replace them with the IGN-1 coils supplied by many vendors with different stickers on them, and that coil is not going anywhere, is better than the tested IGN1A for reasons v8bait mentions, and a lot better than the R35. I don't know what the dwell differences are between PR and IGN-1 coils, but the IGN-1 dwells will be well documented so you should be fine.

Reactions: martymil

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
We are also working with PRP on these kits. We are buying a couple of early kits to run on our cars shortly. Retail we are told is under $1000. We will be using this kit, and our Adaptronic to take Spark duties away from the Factory DME so we have complete stand-alone control for the Sequential spark cut, 2-step, anti-lag, etc. Our Factory ECU is doing less, and less these days.
999.99 🤷🏾‍♂️