K&P Engineering High Performance Stainless Steel Micronic Oil Filter

What kind of oil filter do you use? Diposable Paper or stainless steel?

• Disposable paper filter (Mann, etc.)

Votes: 36 85.7%
  • Stainless Steel (K&P Engineering High Performance Stainless Steel Micronic Oil Filter)

Votes: 6 14.3%

• Total voters

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
We just went through a whole filtering dialog on the HPFP filter thread (this is a good place to start reading, for that part). It's not a black and white number thing, but percentage of capture, across particulate size, et cetera.

I don't know if someone is going to argue that the factory paper filter doesn't cut the mustard; aside from that, if this exceeds OEM filtration specs, with more flow (due to its filtration media design), that would seem to pass the sniff test.

Filippo

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
all fine and good, but can it be effectively cleaned? I think fillippo raised some good points on that a few posts back.

for whomever is taking the plunge on this, please report back!

Erichale77

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2016
Clearwater, FL
Ride
07 E92 coupe
With the time it would take to properly clean these filters, it might be best to order 2 filters so you always have a fresh, clean filter to throw in when you change your oil. Just my 2c

• Informative
Reactions: doublespaces

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
With the time it would take to properly clean these filters, it might be best to order 2 filters so you always have a fresh, clean filter to throw in when you change your oil. Just my 2c
You mean instead of cleaning it immediately and thus spending twenty minutes longer doing an oil change to remind you why you paid 10x more for an oil filter that works better at solving a problem that seems non-existent? :tonguewink::tongueout:

Filippo

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
If you're worried about the cost then don't buy it. That simple

Is it?

It's the cost to benefit ratio that has me drawing questions. At this current time it looks like a $100 filter which provides no tangible benefits over the paper variety. Theoretical benefits, sure.

"It won't crush" Gee, great. Don't have that issue.
"It flows more oil" Is the amount currently allowed by the OE/OEM filters insufficient or harmful in any way?
"It filters better" For how long? Does it need to be rebuilt and serviced? Are you going to get any warning that your fancy filter failed? Is its filtration performance statistically superior aside from declared measurements being smaller?
"It's got a magnet" There are other ways to introduce a magnet to catch small flakes.

Erichale77

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2016
Clearwater, FL
Ride
07 E92 coupe
I understand your concerns. I simply bought it because I had a problem with my Mann oil filters being crushed. Not for better filtration, better flow or lifetime use. I have no idea why my filters were crushing. Maybe it has to do with my PVC delete setup with dual CC's, or maybe it's because of the high HP my engine makes, IDK

• Informative
Reactions: fmorelli

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
I understand your concerns. I simply bought it because I had a problem with my Mann oil filters being crushed. Not for better filtration, better flow or lifetime use. I have no idea why my filters were crushing. Maybe it has to do with my PVC delete setup with dual CC's, or maybe it's because of the high HP my engine makes, IDK

Ah, ok. Curious, how was your filter crushing? Top to bottom, spiral, or sucked in? Assuming you were using the birdcage and not just dropping it in there.

colinod

Private
Aug 13, 2017
Ride
2007 e92 335
Seems messier to be cleaning this with every oil change than to just toss out a filter. I change my oil every other month and i like the convenience of the disposables

Erichale77

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2016
Clearwater, FL
Ride
07 E92 coupe
After how many miles?

How does hp effect oil pressure?

Looks like a gimmick to me...
I change my oil every 3000 miles. I dont see how HP would effect oil pressure either but i've seen stranger things. Could be my dual oil cooler set up as well. I don't know whats causing my paper filters to crush in, I just know they are for whatever reason. I've seen it happen to others as well.