K&P Engineering High Performance Stainless Steel Micronic Oil Filter

What kind of oil filter do you use? Diposable Paper or stainless steel?

• Disposable paper filter (Mann, etc.)

Votes: 36 85.7%
  • Stainless Steel (K&P Engineering High Performance Stainless Steel Micronic Oil Filter)

Votes: 6 14.3%

• Total voters

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Just saw this being advertised by Turner. Anyone have it? Thoughts? Experience?
Link: https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-...ronic-oil-filter-w-machine-finished-end-caps/

Edit: I installed it this week along with the CTS billet oil cap.
979E502F-176B-4B05-BB67-FBC7A8B271AA.jpeg

Last edited:

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Better flow also presumably means better cooling. Potentially a winner as long as you regularly clean the filter when you change the oil.

Reactions: screaminfast

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
so how do you clean it then. And does it really do a better job of filtering than the Mann filters? I'm super skeptical.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Also the website description doesn’t show up well on mobile phones. I was able to copy and paste it here for your convenience and mobile reading pleasure:

Product Details

Stainless steel filtration is not a new technology but is quickly gaining popularity in the automotive segment. With the ability to filter down as small as a paper filter element with the ability to be washed and reused!
The K&P Engineering filter element is made from medical grade, type 304 stainless steel micronic filter cloth to provide unmatched protection against oil contamination and resultant engine damage. A one inch square of this material flows an incredible 1.9 gallons of oil per minute at only 1 PSI pump pressure. The adhesive used in the filter assembly process is good to 600 degrees Fahrenheit, far above normal engine operating temperatures. A super strength nickel-plated neodymium rare earth magnet is installed in the top of the element for magnetic pre-filtering of the oil. The sophisticated bypass is engineered for proper differential pressures and consistent operation, delivering a greater percentage of filtered oil while being very easy to clean. The twist lock design assures positive filter element placement and allows for easy disassembly, inspection, and cleaning. The quad-ring gasket doubles the seal between the filter and the engine. Finally, the filter housing is carved out of solid 6061T6 billet aluminum, which not only looks trick but aids in dissipating heat.
K&P Engineering manufactures stainless steel filters for a vast array of engines around the world. Staying at the forefront of design and testing allows this company to offer a top tier product for your European vehicle.
Features:
  • Consistent filtering across entire filter surface
  • Superior ASTMF316 filtration performance
  • Magnetic Prefiltering
  • Progressive rate bypass combined with high flow characteristics of the filter media avoids unfiltered oil bypassing the filter during cold startup and high rpm
  • Easy inspection of engine contamination
  • Proven in Motorsports, Military and Aerospace applications for years. Technology is FAA approved for use in aircraft.
At regular oil changes, clean to K&P's specifications for continued used - a true lifetime filter.

• Informative
Reactions: doublespaces

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
so how do you clean it then. And does it really do a better job of filtering than the Mann filters? I'm super skeptical.
I am too. That’s why I posted it to the forum to find out our collective experience about it. Maybe I’ll add a poll.
Edit: Poll added. Feel free to provide comments or other polling options. Thanks.

Last edited:

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Video shows how to clean the filter. Pretty straightforward.
I have a few micron dust collection system in my guitar building shop. It has a 36"x30" or so pleated cannister filters. Periodically I have to clean it out. I can see the dust because a lot of my wood colors are dark exotic hardwoods. Let me tell you, with a hose I spend 30 minutes getting to where the water comes out clean. I'm unconvinced that the K&P filter gets cleaned they way they do it.

If I had this filter, I'd consider buying a gallon of acetone, putting it in a sealed container (like a paint can), and dunking the the filter in there, where I could vigorously shake it. A better solution would be something that screws to the filter and lets you push fluid from inside out (like a large syringe/plunger).

The issue with the spray approach the video shows, you will get no spray force on the filter to dislodge metal particles, and you can't reach the top 20-30% of the filter from the inside. With my dust system I can get right on the inside of the pleats with a high-pressure water hose. That's what it takes ...

I like the magnet, though.

Filippo

Last edited:

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Less restriction/more flow means more potential particles can get through,that's my concern.
From the horse's mouth: http://kandpengineering.com/primer-on-filtration/

"K&P Engineering focuses on maximizing flow rates while meeting or exceeding OEM filtration. Not all stainless steel filter cloth is created equal. We specify the wire diameter, thread count each direction and the type of weave to use to create our filter cloth which is how we meet the filtration and flow goals. We can get between 5 and 7 quarts of oil through our filter element in the time it takes to get 1 quart through an OEM filter element while still meeting or exceeding OEM filtration. The reason for this is that paper and synthetic filter media is made of fibers that are pressed or glued together and require a certain thickness to get to the filtration objective. This type of media inherently has more flow restriction that the filter cloth that K&P Engineering uses. We tested a pro stock engine on the dyno with a gage on both sides of the filter cavity. At wide open throttle we measured 20 lbs of differential pressure on the paper filter (0w at 180 degrees). The K&P Engineering filter measured less than 1 lb. This means the bypass on the paper filter is open letting unfiltered oil through the filter and into the engine. Ours has a lot further to go before it opens. The result is more filtered oil getting to the engine, and getting there faster. The reduction in differential pressure also results in less backpressure against the oil pump which has the potential to improve performance and or fuel mileage."

Filippo